Projects/2017-2018 Term 2
These are available projects for IS480. The descriptions are maintained by the sponsor or sent to the course manager. Past Projects
PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT: You are expected to attend meetings you set. If you are not able to attend for legitimate reasons, please inform your contact and course coordinator with reasons stated. If we receive any complain about your unprofessional conduct, you will be rejected from IS480 for 1 term!! Your conduct is a reflection of SIS students and SMU. Do NOT take this lightly!!
NOTE: These project have been reviewed by IS480 course coordinator. However, there is no guarantee that these projects are acceptable. You are required to gather more information, submit draft proposal for feedback, and clear all NDA, IP issues early before proposal. Sponsors must refer to FAQ.
- 1 Profs Fujii and Ho: Mobile-Assisted Survey System
- 2 JobPlus - CRM or Marketing system
- 3 LightBridge Technologies - An Assets Exchange Platform based on Smart Contract and Blockchain
- 4 Epitrain - Financial calculator e-commerce system
- 5 Hook Coffee - Various Project
- 6 Hayer Engineering - Planning and Quality Assurance Web Portal
- 7 Trustsphere - Sales Portal & Mobile Application
- 8 SAS Institute - Driving Analytics Innovation in Financial Services Industries
- 9 BNP Paribas – Tribal Knowledge
- 10 MOM – ChatBot / AI Assistant
- 11 Golux – Lifestyle Services Platform
- 12 Just Analytics - Analytics Virtual Assistant
- 13 Ngee Ann Poly - Mobile Service Learning (mSL)
- 14 SIS Prof Qiuhong WANG - Cyber Attack and Internet Topology Visualization System
- 15 Liberté - Shopify website + mobile app
- 16 SMU CEC – PoWeR Grammar
- 17 Novosphere – Mobile Auto industry shopping cart
- 18 The Black Sun - Annual Report System
- 19 RoboStudio - Robot App development for restaurant robot
- 20 VWO - Make a difference
- 21 Self Proposed - Innovative Idea
Profs Fujii and Ho: Mobile-Assisted Survey System
About Profs Fujii and Ho Prof Fujii is Associate Professor of Economics and Associate Dean (Undergraduate Curriculum), School of Economics, Singapore Management University. Prof Ho is Assistant Professor of Economics, Singapore Management University. We are working on a research project in Bangladesh that involves in-person interviews.
Objective: The standard paper-based survey instruments are slow and subject to various errors. The objective of this project is to make the collection of data as accurate, fast, and reliable as possible in an environment where the network connection is not reliable. In cases where the transfer of money is involved between the interviewers and interviewees, protocols to prevent cheating must be implemented.
Solution: Convert a paper-based survey into an Android App that is intuitive and easy to configure and use.
- Operating manual
- Program code (either in Python (preferred) or Java)
- Prior experience in Android App development
- Basic knowledge of cryptography is a plus
- Exposure to household surveys is also a plus
Additional Information: This project is particularly suitable for those who are interested in applying information technology to economic, social science and marketing research.
Contact: If you are interested, email Prof Fujii (email@example.com) and Prof Ho (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the details of your team members.
NOTE from course coordinator: This project require team to gather requirements to come up with the right scope and project. Scope is subject for approval
JobPlus - CRM or Marketing system
About JobPlus We are a small local SME providing human resource management services in Singapore. Our clients range from small to large local and international firms. The following are our key services:
- Contract Staffing
- Payroll Management
- Human Resource Consulting
- Work Pass application
Problem In our industry, our people will need to deal with a lot of data such as resumes of candidates, job applications via emails, job portals , social media and various channels. We use google mail as our primary email account but it has become challenging in terms of managing data and collaboration although there are some apps we can use. Many of our people work out of office or from home and we are also looking for smarter tools for collaboration and effective communication.
We also need to track and manage new and existing client (business employer) data and are able to recall and send marketing emails etc. We make use of software to manage client data, www.linkupcrm.com The current CRM system is a legacy system and we are looking for a smarter , current and future ready CRM system. We are currently trying out www.zoho.com as a database management tool.
We market our services mainly via Google SEO and SEM and we work with our digital media consultant, Mediaone www.mediaone.com .sg We are exploring how we can make use of other online marketing channels such as facebook.
We are always open to ideas and suggestions on how information technology can improve our business productivity and efficiency.
Contact: Alex Chong - General Manager, JobPlus Pte Ltd Email: email@example.com Website: http://jobplus.sg
NOTE from course coordinator: This project require team to gather requirements to come up with the right scope and project. Scope is subject for approval
LightBridge Technologies - An Assets Exchange Platform based on Smart Contract and Blockchain
About LightBridge Technologies LightBridge Technologies is a Singapore-based company that provides turn-key Infocomm solutions for Smart Cities. We deliver integrated solutions comprising mobile applications and wired/wireless communication networks to our partners to enable them to be competitive in an increasingly data-centric world. LightBridge Technologies will develop next generation trading systems for SHCAEE.
Synopsis [This is a collaboration with Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange (SHCAEE)] About Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange (SHCAEE) The Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange was set up in 2009 to offer trading services for assets such as copyrights, securities, tea, gemstones, art, and antiques. The exchange is supported by various government departments and serves an international network of buyers and sellers.
Blockchain and smart contract technologies are set to revolutionize many industries in the next few decades and one of the applications which stand to benefit is the trading of valuable assets. In this project, the goal is to develop a digital trading platform that utilizes smart contract and blockchain to allow buyers and sellers to trade assets such as jewelries, antiques, tea, and artworks in an efficient, reliable, and secure manner. The following are some of the desired features of this platform:
- Users can bid/sell/exchange assets in a fair, secure, and reliable manner using technology built on smart contracts and blockchains
- Users will be able to track the movement of the asset as it moves from seller to buyer
- Innovative ways of using “network tokens” will be one of the key differentiators of this platform, this allows all stakeholders to benefit from the growth of the platform
Deliverable The deliverables of this project shall be a Proof-of-Concept system comprising at least 5 nodes in a working prototype network and a web-based application will also be developed to test the system functionalities. The team will work closely with SHCAEE to ensure that the features of the system is in line with the industry best practices. The goal is for the prototype to be eventually adopted and used by SHCAEE in a live setting.
Contact: Yeo Yong Kee <firstname.lastname@example.org> Managing Director LightBridge Technologies Pte Ltd 7030 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 #08-101 NorthStar@AMK Singapore 569880 Ph: +65 6734 5098 www.LightBridgeTechnologies.com
Epitrain - Financial calculator e-commerce system
About Epitrain We are a training and consultancy firm that specialises in the training areas of financial markets, business management and project management.
Project Description We wish to develop an calculator, with visualized outputs, for Financial Market Options. This calculator will be hosted on the cloud and available online, via paid subscriptions. Hence the students would have to work on:
- programming the calculator
- developing the visualization of outputs
- deploy the hosting solution
- deploy the access solution
- deploy the e-commerce solution
- deploy the subscription database, with expiry and renewal functions
- develop an API to allow real-time injection of prices from other sources, such as Reuters or Yahoo Finance
- cater to non-functional requirements including:
- number of concurrent users
- latency in launching the app
- latency in sending inputs and receiving outputs
- the ability to support all browsers
- security issues, such as preventing the download of the core application
- Use the Black-Scholes and the Garman-Kohlagen models for Option pricing as a base.
- Take inputs of Spot, various Option Premiums, interest rates, and Time, either manually input or automatically updated via API, and derive outputs of:
- payoff diagrams (visualized outputs) and
- Using the derived Delta values, the probability distribution function would need to be derived.
- The pdf is then plotted as an overlay on the payoff diagram
- Return the net probability-adjust payoff for any given combination of Options entered by the user
- 2, or more, simultaneous sets of computations are required (as represented by the green and orange lines in the provided screenshot)
- Scales on the diagram must be automatically adjusted to fit the output values, but also can be manually manipulated.
The X-factor of this project is that there is currently no such app available to the non-professional trader. This will be used commercially and be the first of its kind.
Contact: Gerard Tong (email@example.com) Adjunc Staff, Cavetz
Hook Coffee - Various Project
Project 1: Mobile Application
- For ease of ordering emergency bags
- Easy Account management
- Push notifications on deliveries
Project 2: Inventory management system To build a customised inventory system for Hook Coffee, to:
- reduce waste,
- proper predictability of orders ensure no shortages
- JIT ordering system to reduce cash flow risk
- More accurate COGS, easier accounting at the end of the month
Project 3: AI Using AI to learn and build a customised customer journey automation system, combining all channels of interactions, supported through learning of interactions of data to bring the best possible customer experience.
NOTE Course Coordinator: Only 1 team per term. Project ideas are very preliminary, gather more detail requirements before selecting them
Hayer Engineering - Planning and Quality Assurance Web Portal
About Hayer Engineering: About Hayer Engineering: Hayer Engineering is a leading precision engineering firm which manufactures critical components for major oil & gas companies around the world. With 25 years of history, Hayer is always looking to incorporate new, cutting-edge technologies to stay ahead in the market.
Problem: Each engineering drawing has anywhere from 10-40 different measurements, each with its own tolerance range. For example, a particular tube length measurement might be 3.00" with a tolerance of +/- 0.03". Prior to manufacturing, we create a "Dimension Report" which captures all of these measurements and tolerances in a spreadsheet. Afterwards during quality check, we are required to create a "Bubble Drawing" where each measurement on the drawing is labeled with the corresponding number from the Dimension Report. These processes are incredibly time consuming, as the data from the Dimension Report is transferred manually and the numbers for the Bubble Drawing are added manually. This leads to frequent human error, which can be damaging to the business as each measurement, tolerance, and decimal point is critical.
Project Solution: Project Solution: We're looking for a robust cloud-based web application where our planning and quality assurance teams can easily and accurately generate Dimension Reports and Bubble Drawings.
- Dimension Report
- Upload pdf files (if in a different format png/jpg/tiff, will convert to pdf)
- User can highlight specified area to employ OCR to pull data
- Returns two columns with numbered rows of measurements and tolerances; additional column to specify measurement tool used
- Bubble Drawing
- Row numbers from Dimension Report to auto-populate on drawing next to correct measurement
- User can move and adjust number labels on drawing accordingly
- Web application for the planning and quality assurance teams
- Ability to upload pdf files (and convert png/jpg/tiff to pdf if necessary)
- OCR over a highlighted area on pdf to pull data
- Map number labels back to drawing in correct locations
- Generation of both Dimension Report and Bubble Drawing
Why this Project: This is a unique opportunity to develop a cloud-based solution for a traditional industry vertical (ex. engineering, shipping, logistics, healthcare, etc.). Vertical SaaS is widely considered to be the next frontier for cloud-based software and will continue to grow worldwide over the next 5-10 years.
- Back-end: MongoDB, Node.js, Express
Contact: Jeffrey Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org), Hayer Engineering Pte Ltd. Website : www.hayer.com. Via TAI Khang Wei Maxco
Trustsphere - Sales Portal & Mobile Application
About Trustsphere: TrustSphere is a market leader in Relationship Analytics, delivering solutions through Sales Analytics, Risk Analytics and People Analytics. Their goal is to help clients find the value of their associated networks for improving key business challenges such as sales force effectiveness, enterprise-wide collaboration, participation and contribution statistics and corporate governance.
Project Requirements: The team will be required to develop a web based portal & a Mobile Application through which the internal Trustsphere Sales team can better visualise and understand the status of existing client accounts. The focus of the project would be towards:
- Visual sales review dashboards:
- Relationship Report: Displays the top 10 most active client accounts Trustsphere is communicating with
- Account Activity: Provides more in-depth details about a given client account
- Benchmarking report: Displays Trustsphere’s involvement in similar revenue accounts. Where involvement is defined by multiple different parameters
- Handover Report: A transition report for new on boarding Sales team members to benchmark desired involvement with clients
- Insights derived from the data provided and the sales dashboards
- Internal database to store the relationship data between Trustsphere employees and their clients, required for the dashboards on the site
- A web based portal for the sales team
- A Mobile Application with the same requirements for the sales team
- Proper content management for the data Trustsphere provides
- Use the raw data provided by Trustsphere to derive insights about the sales team and external clients
- Use innovative and creative ways to display all the information through dynamic graphs
- Proficient to some extent in frontend user design as the site is used by customers.
- Familiar with web development technology and framework
- Proficient in database design and mobile implementation
Contact: Gauri Bhatnagar <Gauri.email@example.com> SIS Alumni EcoCo
SAS Institute - Driving Analytics Innovation in Financial Services Industries
About SAS: SAS is the leader in analytics. Through innovative analytics, business intelligence and data management software and services, SAS helps customers at more than 83,000 sites make better decisions faster. Since 1976, SAS has been giving customers around the world THE POWER TO KNOW®.
Project Background & Requirements: This project seeks for an innovative solution for the Financial industry; mainly in the RegTech and Financial Inclusion categories.
Project Scope: Participants will be expected to use SAS Viya and other SAS/3rd-party tools that may be required for their solution development. Not only could this project result in novel/innovative solutions with tangible business value for the customers, it could also offer an excellent opportunity to obtain hands-on experience on an enterprise grade analytics platform.
The problem statements for this project have been preselected and the team should select only one of these problem statements for their IS480 Final Year Project:
39 Reimagining Credit Underwriting & Scoring
Existing credit underwriting models do not leverage new sources of qualitative and quantitative information. In addition, SMEs face challenges in credit evaluation as they do not have necessary audited financial statements. How can we improve and refine existing underwriting models and credit scoring for individuals and SMEs that leverage non-traditional qualitative and quantitate data sources?
- Participants should identify sources of qualitative and quantitative information, which can be used to predict customer behavior. Develop a technique/solution to capture/crawl this data, clean and structure it
- Build segmentation and predictive model(s). Design & build a user-friendly interface (e.g. website) that allows end-users (e.g. banks/credit institutions) to easily perform the necessary credit scoring & evaluation to drive their lending decisions.
48 Automated Risk Analysis
Currently, there is no way to effectively enable institutions to track and monitor counterparty risk and market exposure in real time. How do we develop a smart system that automates this analysis taking into account sanctions, AML (anti-money laundering) and KYC (Know-your-client) data and regulatory rules, to mitigate risks and exposure?
- Participants should identify sources of information, which can be used for real-time monitoring of factors impacting counterparty risk and market exposure. Develop a technical solution to capture/collect these data in real time, clean and structure it. As multiple real-time data sources are collected, participants are expected to also cross-check these sources against each other to ensure data integrity/accuracy
- Provide aggregated analysis of counterparty risk and market exposure; including building models to predict the future trends of these risks/exposure
- Design & build a user-friendly interface (e.g. dashboard accessible via web and/or mobile devices) that end-users (e.g. banks) can use to monitor these risks and set alert/warning indicators where risk/exposure limits have been breached.
CORE Requirements are:
- Project clearly answers the problem statement of choice
- A functional user interface with a great user experience which provides ease of navigation through a well-designed layout.
- The website and must be in a mobile responsive web design
- Usage of use SAS Viya and other SAS/3rd-party tools for development
- Clearly defined users/end-users and the exact pain points that the solution seeks to address
- Well-developed prototype/solution with an easy-to-use interface for its intended users/end-users
- Creative & meaningful integration of key data sources that reflect a compelling and unique solution proposition
- Presentation/delivery of the solution in a suitable interface (e.g. website, app)
- Usage of SAS Viya is mandatory. Other SAS/3rd-party tools may be used as well.
Secondary Requirements are:
- On top of the core requirements, team can choose to present their solutions in the form of an Android/iOS application pertaining to the problem statements above
“Good to Have” Requirements are:
- An end to end analytics platform from data management to discovery to deployment
- Visualization (if any) being deployed using SAS Visual Analytics
- Incorporation of advanced analytics capabilities (e.g. predictive/prescriptive/cognitive) that extends the solution beyond a data aggregation platform. Key elements of a good solution would likely include (but not limited to):
- Speed - e.g. how quickly the data & insights are delivered to the users
- Intelligence - e.g. ability to suggest/recommend relevant & timely content to users even if they have not explicitly made a request for
- Demonstrate tangible business benefits in areas such as streamlining operations to save costs, targeted customer engagements, identification of new customer/market segments, new monetization channels/opportunities, etc.
- Demonstrate potential for scalability & deployment in a real-life environment
- Proper & relevant documentation
- Creative & innovative usage of multiple data sources and tools would be taken into consideration for bonus points
Skill sets Skill sets such as (but not limited to) may be needed:
- SAS Programming, Python, R, Java, etc.
Contact: Eric Ong, SIS Alumni 2016 Batch & FinTech Innovations Sales Lead (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Giselle Cheo, FinTech Innovations Pre-Sales Lead (email@example.com)
NOTE from course coordinator: This project requires strong requirements gathering to narrow down the scope of the project. Requirements does not list functional features, just quality requirements. Only one project will be allowed for IS480
BNP Paribas – Tribal Knowledge
About BNP Paribas BNP Paribas Wealth Management is a leading global private bank, #1 in the Eurozone and international presence in 21 countries. Over 6,000 professionals, based in every major financial centre, provide a private investor clientele with solutions for optimizing and managing their assets.
Objective: Next Generation Knowledge Discovery The bank is a large organization with vast experience in planning and executing different specialised business deals across different domains. The continuation of knowledge can be facilitated with:
- Digital repository to store the knowledge,
- Continuous effort to grow the knowledge,
- Understanding the knowledge, and lastly
- Sharing the knowledge
Solution Develop a solution where the past and good knowledge within the bank can be collected, enhanced, and shared within the bank (and with clients). The solution should aim to analyze high-quality content to extract concepts, and discern patterns and relationships, to make large volumes of information more effectively understood, transforming information into knowledge
- Text Mining and/or Data Analytics
- Familiar with web & mobile application development
- Proficient with database design and implementation
Contact: Neha Ahuja – firstname.lastname@example.org
MOM – ChatBot / AI Assistant
Project Description: Making information on workforce / workplace practices more easily accessible, relevant and personable through the use of a smart chatbot / AI assistant.
Option 1 – With proposed scope
Project background: At workplaces, some employees face employment disputes with their employers, involving owed or short payment of salaries or other statutory or contractual benefits.
Project brief: To better help these workers, MOM wants to improve the delivery of information to them so that they will have accurate and actionable information on their statutory and contractual entitlements, and how to pursue and settle their disputes. The chatbot / AI assistant will enable MOM to provide essential information to these workers in a more accessible, relevant and personable manner.
The chatbot / AI assistant design should:
- Be intuitive and easy-to-use;
- Understand employees’ queries; and
- Provide relevant and useful information to employees so that they can find out about i) their employment entitlement and ii) avenues to seek redress.
The content information will be provided by MOM. The project team will need to focus on building the UI/UX of the chatbot for optimal usability. This will involve user research to understand what types of information employees will need pertaining to respective types of disputes, how the user will ask their questions on the chatbot / AI assistant and the best way to structure the information so as to answer the user’s questions. The project team will only need to focus on the more common employment disputes. More information on this will be provided during the project.
Deliverables: A chatbot / AI assistant to enable employees to find information related to their employment dispute(s).
Option 2 – Scope is open for suggestion
Project background: There are over 3 million working people in Singapore of various ages in different work areas and having different employment protections. To name a few, they can be a mature professional, a young graduate, an older worker who has been re-employed, a low wage worker who qualifies for workfare. To cater to each of these groups, imagine how complicated MOM’s corporate website has to be. Today’s technology can change the mode of communication and allow us to make info much more tailored and targeted to specific groups – i.e. through the use of a chatbot targeting a similar group of workers or those with similar concerns.
Project brief: Students are free to be creative and propose any online app/chatbot that will make info much handier and accessible. Think something along the lines of SG Bus Uncle chatbot 1 2 (done by a SIS alumnus). MOM has a lot of information online that can be used for this chatbot, including FAQs on Employment Practices or Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices, and/or infographics on employment conditions and labour market situation. Students may look at some of these information, and propose how to deliver the information in an interesting way.
Deliverables: The chatbot / AI assistant can guide and help the users/public to find answers to their queries. It can interact and prompt the users on what they would like to find out, so that the user can get to the specific information he/she needs. It can continuously learn to give better answers over time as more people uses it.
Contact: Lionel LIM (MOM) <Lionel_LIM@mom.gov.sg>, Camelia Brigid SOH (MOM) <Camelia_Brigid_SOH@mom.gov.sg>, and Faizah MOHD YASIN (MOM) <Faizah_Mohd_Yasin@mom.gov.sg>
NOTE from course coordinator: This project requires design and strong requirements gathering to narrow down the scope of the project. Students in IDP can select this as IDP project in term 1. Only one project will be allowed for IS480
Golux – Lifestyle Services Platform
About Golux: Golux is a startup providing a lifestyle service platform which aims to bring convenience to users by allowing them to book services related to sports and wellness, laundry, and cleaning etc. The platform also offers users access to promotions with our partners.
Project Requirements: The team will be required to create a mobile application with 2 core parts:
- Service/Promotion Catalogue
- List out services and allow users to easily browse and search for desired service
- E-commerce Functionalities
- Booking of service, shopping cart features and payment etc.
The team will also be required to set up a Content/Web Management portal for administering the mobile application.
- Allows tracking of transactions, add/edit services offered on the site and user/content management
- (Advance) Business analytics related function using collected user and transaction data to provide useful insights to business
- A functioning and deployed mobile application
- A web based portal for mobile app administration and content management
- Additional requirements can be discussed and added later if the team desires a challenge.
- Proficient to some extent in frontend user design as the site is used by customers.
- Familiar in mobile application development (iOS, Android, Cross Development Tools for Mobile applications)
- Familiar with web development technology and framework
- Proficient in database design and implementation
- Content of the services offered will be provided by the Golux.
- More details on the requirements will be communicated to the team upon confirmation of engagement.
- Golux management team is very approachable and contactable!
Contact: Cheong Yong Qiang – email@example.com Teh Kaiwen – firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Alumni
Just Analytics - Analytics Virtual Assistant
About Just Analytics: Just Analytics is a specialized partner providing consulting and advisory services that allow our clients to meet current and future analytical goals and objectives. Based in Singapore we strive to help companies build applications that transform data into insight giving them a greater understanding of their information assets.
Project Description: Develop a bot which uses NLP to allow business users to ask and get answers of their existing data using their existing data mart / data warehouse (like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nNGhFDTlhs&feature=youtu.be&t=5s )
Problem to solve: Many organizations use advanced reporting tools to create tabular reports, which are then exported and further manipulated in Excel. This is because many users are not familiar / do not want to use new tools to generate reports and extract Adata. A simpler method of data extraction is needed.
Value proposition: Senior business stakeholders can ask and get answers in seconds, without depending on subordinates. Answers can be real-time, and standardized across business units etc. The existing data marts in use can be leveraged.
Uniqueness: Different analytical providers are able to do different levels of (a) analytical complexity or (b) high creative output. Very few have capabilities to do NLP for users. This opens the door to a whole new set of senior stakeholders.
Project Scope: Develop prototype for Analytics Virtual Assistant using:
- Azure Bot Framework (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/bot-service/) or comparable bot framework API for the front end, so we are flexible about the channels for communication.
- LUIS (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/language-understanding-intelligent-service/) or comparable NPL processing API.
- SQL Server Analysis Services (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/analysis-services-tutorials-ssas) or comparable OLAP engine as a data source.
All development will be cloud based, and a medium complexity data mart with data volumes shall be available before start of development. Opportunities Analytics & NPL is an immense growing market in Singapore and the world. Besides the value your work will bring to our customers (new possibilities, new markets), it’s a good opportunity for you to learn hands on experience on these promising skills.
Skills required: Web development skills like Python, which will be used to develop the API. Of course, we are looking for people with passion, commitment and entrepreneurship.
Contact: Shwetank Sheel, SIS Pioneer Batch Alumni & Co-Founder (Shwetank.email@example.com) or Hemanta Banerjee, Founder & Chief Architect (Hemanta.Banerjee@justanalytics.com)
Ngee Ann Poly - Mobile Service Learning (mSL)
Project Background: The mSL project is designed for use by students and staff of NP. This project is conceived as a community building and learning tool for us. It will be deployed on the mobile platform (both Android and iOS) with a backend web CMS.
For students, the purpose of mSL are to:
- learn about service learning in NP
- reflect on service learning journeys
- feedback on learning outcomes
- connect to related SL resources
For staff, the purpose of mSL are to:
- measure the outcomes of learning journeys
- create service learning projects
- create learning content
- analyse data collected
The skills sets required for the team are:
- knowledge of Android and iOS programming (aptitude to learn is good!)
- knowledge of database design and development
- willingness to work with technical team on deployment in NP environment
- good people working skills as they will be required to interview stakeholders and conduct several rounds of quality testing
Contact: Andrew Tan | Senior Lecturer | School of InfoComm Technology Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Joyce TANG-WONG, Head of the Office of Service-Learning in NP. <Joyce_TANG-WONG@np.edu.sg>
SIS Prof Qiuhong WANG - Cyber Attack and Internet Topology Visualization System
Project Background: Visualizing the geographic location of real-time cyber-attacks (e.g., DDOS attacks, port-scanning activities, or hijacking) is a prevailing service provided by many information security institutes and companies. Different from the existing popular visualization systems in the cybersecurity market, our project aims to an innovative visualization system integrating the cyber-attacks and the Internet topology. By mapping the ever-changing cyber-attacks to the Internet topology, the proposed system can reflect the topological location and neighborhood of a country in the Internet traffic. Thus this project is able to add substantial policy and managerial value to the existing visualization systems.
- On temporal dimension: we visualize attack tendency on year level, on month level, on daily level. It can help people to distinguish stealthy but continuous attack and heavy but short lived attack.
- On spatial dimension: we visualize attack severity on topology level, or more precisely on country level, city level and on autonomous system level. It can help people to understand the impact of topology on attack.
- On law dimension: we visualize attack severity on country security law level. To be more specific, we will show and analyze the attack attributions for countries with some same specific security laws. It can help people to find the impact of security law on attack.
Skills required: We are looking for self-motivated students with strong programming skills and innovative spirits. It is particularly helpful for those with ambition to pursue a successful career on cybersecurity analytics and management.
- Be familiar with HTML, JS and CSS, which will be used to develop web for the visualization.
- Be familiar with Java or Python, which will be used on the development on the server end.
- Be familiar with tomcat or jboss would be a plus.
- The last but not least, we are looking for people with learning spirit, passion and patience.
Contact: Contact: Qian ZHANG email@example.com Qiuhong WANG firstname.lastname@example.org via Qian TANG email@example.com
Liberté - Shopify website + mobile app
About Liberté: A small fashion startup aiming to provide custom fit casual clothes made with natural and sustainable materials.
- Custom Shopify website to the needs of the business
- Develop system to store and modify custom measurements with visual aid and an API for output
- Create a system of recommendation based on a configurable set of values and the custom measurements inputted by customers
- Store customer preferences
- Calculate customer rewards
Deliverables: Working Shopify website and mobile app
Contact: Hui Ting Chiam <firstname.lastname@example.org>
SMU CEC – PoWeR Grammar
PoWeR Grammar - A mobile learning platform for grammar skills acquisition
Project Background We want to enhance the acquisition of grammar skills for undergraduate students enrolled in the Programme for Writing & Reasoning (PWR). The creation of a mobile application empowers students to learn grammar in a fun and interactive way, outside the classroom environment.
Project Brief: Develop a mobile application to improve students’ knowledge of English grammar. The application should combine mobile learning and game-based learning to generate interest for students who are digital natives. The application should be available across various mobile platforms.
The content for the app will be provided by our instructors. We will need your team’s expertise in developing the platform(s) from which our users will interface with.
Project Requirements: BASIC Level (All content will be provided by the instructors) A. Development of a learning platform that encompasses the following topics:
- Sentence fragments
- Subject-verb agreement
- Correct form of the word
- Common spelling errors
B. Assessment of concepts learnt ADVANCED level
- We have some initial ideas to for the games but we will need your input on how to best implement these ideas based on your technical expertise and your ideas on what game designs would entice the average SMU student user.
- Complete working platforms for both iOS and Android
- Proper and relevant documentation
Contact: Sumathi Krishna (email@example.com), Lara Pugh (firstname.lastname@example.org), Centre for English Communication (CEC)
Novosphere – Mobile Auto industry shopping cart
Project Background The project aims to create a mobile application, which synergizes mobile convenience and brick-and-mortar shopping experiences together through incentivizing in the form of several loyalty rewards program schemes in the automotive industry.
Value Proposition The mobile application will host multiple participating commercial merchants in an e-catalogue, segmented by brands, where automotive merchants are able to list their retailing products/services at retail and/or discounted prices. Customers are incentivized to earn rewards through 2 different loyalty schemes of their preferred choice, Cashback or Loyalty Points, when they visit brick-and-mortar shops. Customers would just need to simply scan the selected retail product/services through a QR code or barcode, transact through the mobile application via our mobile payment gateway, and earn X% of Cashback or X amount of Loyalty Points upon successful transaction.
Contact: Derrick Ding, Novosphere Director, Novosphere SG <email@example.com>
The Black Sun - Annual Report System
- Annual Reports (ARs) are produced each year by SGX listed companies for stakeholders (shareholders, analysts, bankers, funds, regulators and other interested parties).
- The SGX Listing Rules and the Code of Corporate Governance provides guidance on the form and substance of the ARs to be produced. However, the range and quality of ARs can be quite broad and varied.
- SGX provides a listing of ARs listed on the SGX but these are curated and analysed at a high level (http://www.sgx.com/wps/portal/sgxweb/home/company_disclosure/annual_financial).
- There are other similar listings such as www.annualreports.com
- The SGX Stockfacts (http://www.sgx.com/wps/portal/sgxweb/home/company_disclosure/stockfacts) provides more detailed analysis of the financials.
- The Black Sun and IIRC Best Practices Reporting Databases reviews and publishes ARs that meet best practices criteria (http://bestpractice.blacksunplc.com/corporate/database/home and *http://examples.integratedreporting.org/getting_started)
- There are other websites that curate ARs (https://www.listcorp.com/ and http://database.globalreporting.org but the challenge is keeping the details updated
- Depending on the coverage by analysts, each AR may be subjected to different levels of analysis and comparison with industry peers. The coverage by each analyst will also vary, depending on the analyst’s experience and depth of coverage.
- The Singapore Corporate Awards reviews ARs on a submission basis. This self-selection criteria would preclude lower standard ARs from being reviewed.
- Based on current market best practices, good ARs will continue to be featured because they are good. This self-selection criteria doesn’t encourage the not-so-good ARs to improve, and by extension, the capital market won’t be able to go to the next level.
- In order to raise the bar for the Singapore capital market, the ARs of all listed companies should be reviewed and curated. With this, sub-par ARs will be encouraged to improve.
- To develop a system where all SGX listed companies can upload their ARs in PDF format, and the subsequent analysis will be automated.
- This ”self-help” approach will reduce curating to a minumum.
- Text analytics will be generated based on the automated analysis of the uploaded PDF ARs.
- Standard text analytics can be publicly published, while more sensitive ones can be restricted on a request basis.
- Stakeholders will be able to compare the text analytics between different ARs from the same sector or different sectors.
- This system will focus on the text alone, as the review of the financials is already being done by SGX and analysts.
- In future, when technology is available, analysis of photos, infographics and other images may be possible.
Deliverable: A system where all SGX listed companies can upload their Annual Reports and generate standard text analytics. The schematic of the proposed system is as follows. The system should be able to generate basic text analytics results such as
- word counts of relevant words such as “risk” and “growth”. The system should have a repository of commonly used key words in Annual Reports
- the context of these key words I.e. where they appear
- "who, what and where" is being discussed in the Annual Report.
Stakeholders: SGX listed companies
Contact: Uantchern Loh, CEO Asia Pacific, Black Sun Pte Ltd <ULoh@blacksunplc.com>
RoboStudio - Robot App development for restaurant robot
About RoboStudio RoboStudio is a young startup founded by SMU Alumni focusing on Robot App development. Our mission is to develop Robot Applications to bring values to robot users.
Project Description Develop Frontend Robot App to provide holistic functionalities for restaurant robot: Greeting to Customer -> Ordering -> Delivering food to table -> Payment
Problem to solve F&B industry is experiencing a tough time. A key contributor is the high labor cost and shortage. The reason why robotics is not widely used yet is that there are still big gaps between customer requirement and existing robot functionalities. (Existing robot just holds a tray and walks around.)
Value proposition To restaurant: Save labor cost; To robot hardware vendor: Provide software as supplementary product to boost robot sales and usage.
Uniqueness We will be the first company to focus on Robot App development in Singapore and one of the few in the world. After mastering this competency, we can apply the same to other service industries – Banking, Hospital, Government agencies… Big potentials.
Project Scope Develop prototype for Remote RoboLab, which will provide robots with fun tasks under camera. Robotics Programming learners without a physical robot can use this lab to assist their learning remotely.
We will focus on the Frontend App layer, to interface with Backend layer. Similar to the relationship between Mobile App and Mobile hardware. I created the term Robot App (Mimic the term Mobile App), while the trend is that robot hardware will be standardized. Robot App is the soul of the robot and becomes more and more critical.
- The development will be done using Java (Android platform) or VB (Windows platform). So IS students could be a good fit from skillset perspective.
The Backend layer are developed using C, C++ or Python etc., which will be taken charge by robot hardware vendors. We (Frontend App) will interface with them like calling an API.
- There are only about 3-4 robot hardware vendors in Singapore right now, with some Robot App embedded in their products. But the functionalities are very limited.
That’s also why few restaurants are using robots yet. And this is the problem / gap we are trying to tackle. It has big potentials.
Opportunities Robotic is the next big thing for Singapore and the world. Besides the values your work will bring to our customers (Save labor cost etc.), it’s a good opportunity for you to learn hands on experience for this promising skill.
Skills required Front end and web development skills like Java, Full Stack etc., which will call API to control the robots. Python skills is preferred, which will be used to develop the API. Of course, we are looking for people with passion, commitment and entrepreneurship.
What you can get Hands-on experience with robotics and startup, which will equip you with the hottest skillsets to get your job, or start your own startup.
Contact: Ben Li, Master of Innovation, SMU <firstname.lastname@example.org> Email email@example.com (Ben Li, Founder)
VWO - Make a difference
About VWO project Want a rewarding project that can make a difference in people's life?
Ideas You can wait for some VWO to propose a project, or you can propose one with a VWO.
"Just one small example....as I was having lunch in Little India this week, I met one of the workers I'm assisting. He reported confusion at MOM about whether they recognised that he had discharged a lawyer handling his injury claim. On my hp, I could bring up the lawyer discharge letter and email it out again to both the lawyer and MOM. Very powerful and helpful to have such capability on my hp at any time and place." - TWC2 Project Sponsor Dr. Pat Meyer
More Information Benjamin Gan, SMU, firstname.lastname@example.org
Self Proposed - Innovative Idea
About Self Proposed project Have a great idea? You can proposed your own project. Start with a problem, a real problem. Don't start with a solution or a technology. Think about it. Pitch it to your friends, IIE entrepreneurs corners, and write up a 2 page about your idea. You want a well baked idea, not an idea you taught about yesterday or half baked version with lots of holes.
Another reason for proposing your own project. Why work for anyone?
- Submit a 2 page writeup to course coordinator.
- Get a mentor. More info here. If there are enough teams proposing their own projects, the course coordinator will schedule a pitch session.
- Start working on your project.
More Information Benjamin Gan, SMU, email@example.com