Projects/2012-2011 Term 1
- 1 Staff Deployment Simulation Software
- 2 Tan Kin Lian & Associates Pte Ltd - Monopoly Guru
- 3 TEDxSingapore - Project Connect 2 & Project X-Quest
- 4 TEACH on iPAD
- 5 Sageby - Cab4Free : Survey/Analytics Mobile System
- 6 Facebook Multiplayer Game
- 7 Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd – Analytics Shootout
- 8 Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd - Story Server
- 9 K-Sketch - Animation for the Rest of Us
- 10 Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
- 11 SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
- 12 Distributed Form Processing using Image Snippets
Staff Deployment Simulation Software
Always curious how complex and exciting aviation industry can be? Here is your chance to find out now!
SATS Passenger Services (Airline Operations) is looking for keen IS480 team like you!
We have 800 staff in our department to handle more than 35 airlines. Every year, we have two major airline flight schedule change - summer (April) and winter (November). Each change can be a drastic one and has great impact on staff roster. Usually, it will take about 4 weeks to come out with a new roster.
We aim to reduce the time to do a new roster to 2 weeks. Hence, there comes the purpose of the Staff Deployment Simulation Software. Also, the software will identify training gap and potential deployment problem. The simulation model will be follows:
The greatest challenge of this project is the simulation logic as it need to propose an optimal roster. To facilitate a better understanding of passenger operations, live flight operations and tour in the airport operations facility will be provided (subjected to security clearance).
The development technology will be Java and it will be a desktop application. At least one Operations Management team member will be added advantage (not a must).
To find out more about SATS, visit SATS Homepage
Want to know more? Feel free to contact Kevin Choy at email@example.com
Tan Kin Lian & Associates Pte Ltd - Monopoly Guru
Platform: iOS (iPad), Android (tablet) or Windows (desktop or laptop)
Tan Kin Lian and Associates (the Project Owner) offers this project as a IS480 project for a team.
This project is to develop the game Monopoly on any of the selected platforms using a special presentation conceptualised by the Project Owner to allow participants to learn the strategy of property investment.
The project team will be invited to play several rounds of the Monopoly game on iPad for three hours to get a feel of the intricacies of the game.
A prize of $1,000 will be given to the project team, if the final product is suitable to be deployed in any of the application store.
If it is to be deployed, the Project Owner will apply for a license from the copyright owner of this game, for the game to be commercialized.
Contact Person Tan Kin Lian Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TEDxSingapore - Project Connect 2 & Project X-Quest
TED and TEDxSingapore TED and TEDxSingapore are non-profit organisations dedicated to Ideas Worth Spreading. TED hosts two annual conferences and posts over 900 TED Talks online at TED.com with over 300 million views to date. TED also initiates projects and initiatives that seek to leverage the power of ideas to change the world. TEDxSingapore is an official licensee of TED founded in April 2009 and numbering many thousands people today. To date, we have hosted 11 idea events, platformed over 40 speakers and performers such as Inch Chua, the late Dr. Milton Tan and many others. The TED community in SIngapore has grown to over 8,000 people over 2.5 years and they meet this face-to-face through our idea events, and are connect online via our social networks on Facebook, LinkedIn sites .
Project Connect 2
Problem/Challenge : The mission of TED and TEDxSingapore is to connect thinkers and doers together to build a better future. We seek to do this simply, meaningfully and powerfully. Online our community is connected mainly through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. There are also profile pages and conversations platforms on TED.com. However, these social networks are not purpose-designed to connect mass numbers of people effectively or meaningfully. For example, we would like to enable the community to find and connect with people based on common passions, or by common interests in Talks or community initiatives like the TED Prize, or any project ideas initiated by people.
Project X-Connect: objective and scope : To continue the design and launch an online social network platform that complements that existing social networks. Most importantly, this platform will enables members of the community to find and connect to others in more meaningful and useful ways that general social network platforms cannot do. Also members will be able to find and connect with each other based on common interests, passion and other fields. They could also connect based on common interest in particular topics, Talks or initiate or join project ideas like the TED Prize. It is envisaged that community members will be able to incorporate or ‘pull’ information on a permission basis from their existing profile pages on FB, TED.com or LinkedIn without having to retype and reenter this information from scratch. A first basic phase of this online social network is being done by a x480 team and will complete this by Dec 2011. Continue with Project Connect taken by team Discover Linkage in term 1 2011.
What is the opportunity for you? To build and launch a new and complementary community connection platform to help thinkers and doers find and connect with each other in more relevant, meaningful and purposeful ways. There are numerous opportunities for yet-to-be-imagined functions and features that you can innovate and build.
Who would this opportunity suit? Dynamic students who have interest and passion in social networks, building communities of purpose, and in conceptualising and designing new frontiers in connecting people Skills and interest in website and database design and programming, user interface design, and relevant technologies and languages. Ideally students who are passionate about ideas and familiar with TED.com
What can you do next? Look at the existing social platforms and web assets: http://www.ted.com/profiles http://www.ted.com/profiles/9 http://www.facebook.com/TEDxSingapore.sg http://www.linkedin.com/groups/TEDx-SINGAPORE-1875601
Problem/Challenge : The mission of TED and TEDxSingapore is to connect thinkers and doers together to build a better future and build communities, Online, they are connected mainly through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, and conversations platforms on TED.com. We are continually interacting with the TEDx Communities, globally and locally, and engaging them with interactive questions and seeking their collective responses.
Project X-Quest: objective and scope : To build and launch a new application for engaging and interacting with the global TED community, posing various questions, then gathering and displaying their responses in a visually compelling and informative way. Participation in this could be directly from a website and possibly through users' twitter accounts, FB or iPhone apps.
Who would this opportunity suit? Dynamic students who have interest and passion in community engagement and data visualisation. Skills and interest in website design, graphics user interface design, information visualisation, and relevant technologies and languages. Ideally, students who are passionate about community and familiar with TED.com
General information about TED & TEDxSingapore
4min TED video http://www.TED.com/pages/view/id/129 1min video trailer http://bit.ly/TEDxSingaporeTrailer Straits Times feature http://bit.ly/TheStraitsTimes TEDxSingapore idea events http://www.TED.com/tedx/groups/21.html
Dave LIM Founding Curator, TEDxSingapore ~ for passion, for people, for purpose
TEACH on iPAD
iPad to revolutionize the way kids learn! A new Teaching Pedagogy.
The project is about “Introducing a brand new way of teaching Primary, and Secondary, using iPad”. The Team needs to develop an iPad-based framework to publish any content that can provide extraordinary interactive experience.
- Design: Create a platform where content can be plugged in.
- Technology: iOS Native App Development, integrated with Industry Standard eBook formats such as ePub / XML.
- Data Storage: Use SQLite as Database. Usage of Amazon S Cube (Simple Storage Service) or a file/folder structure to keep Videos & Multimedia is also recommended.
- User Interface: The technology can be as complex as it can be; while the user interface should be as simple and intuitive as it can be.
Exilant would help you with Technology. We need creative minds from SMU. Prior experience in iOS/ Android App development is preferred.
Exilant Technologies was founded in 2004. The world's most admired consumer electronics company is our customer. Our presence is in Singapore, UK, and USA. We are headquartered in India. Our development center is in Suntec City. This project is our first venture with SMU. We hope to be thrilled in working with SIS/SMU Talent.
About You: We expect you to be inquisitive, learning, agile and self-motivated. We expect your participation in brainstorming sessions, design discussions, ideas contribution. You are the one we need, if you are self-motivated to
- Explore the market for similar apps (applications)
- Cut-copy-paste and test code snippets from Google
- Read/research better ways or features to code in iOS
- App - This would be the presentation layer. Similar to any bookshelves/ books app such as iBooks. Intelligent and Interactive features would be built in it.
- Data - ePub with intelligent tags. Multimedia files storage. SQLite/ Amazon S3.
- Catalogue – Intelligent Meta tags to relate content across books. An user administration GUI to maintain Meta data.
<span">Results from 3 Months hard work:
- To be a iOS/ iPad Programmer
- To execute project from Requirements, Design, Develop and Test
- Industrial Software Development Experience
- iPad App (Initial Version)
- Creative Ideas for an intuitive and appealing App
- Experience in working with talent at SIS
What are you waiting for! Jump in!
<span">Immerse yourself and explore the innovation that touches children!!!
For further details contact:
- Azhagarasan Annadorai Associate Vice President
- Email: email@example.com
- HP: +65-92719219
- Exilant Technologies Private Limited , 9 Temasek Boulevard, #09-01 Suntec Tower Two, Singapore 038989
- www.exilant.com Tel: +65-64071415 Fax: +65-64071501
Sageby - Cab4Free : Survey/Analytics Mobile System
Cab4Free’s vision is to provide users a channel to monetize time and information. A globally scalable service innovation which brings free cab rides to passengers, and vouchers/cash to users. The gist lies in converting the value of time into money. We provide the linkage by tying Market Research firms together with Taxi companies and retailers.
In Cab4Free, we tap on Mobile surveys as well as the existing GPS that Taxis currently have to deliver free cab rides by exchanging completed surveys for a free ride. Apart from that, we design ways to improve the overall efficiency, for instance cab sharing in the load of 4 passengers, planning the driving route using GPS to provide estimated fare, and using Google traffic and EMAS to utilize traffic intelligence on the move to boost efficiency.
Scope of Project:
- Core: Survey Module
- Core: Analytics Module
- Advanced: Mobile Platform (iPhone then Android)
Requirements of the Team
- Tech savvy team - Familiar with Google app engine - JSP, Java, Jquery, Js, actionscript, flash, jdo
Contact Informations : Name : Saiful , CTO, Sageby
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile : +65 90070053(Singapore)
Facebook Multiplayer Game
Team needs to develop a Facebook multiplayer game where users can setup companies that operate in certain industries. People can then buy and sell products to earn money, experience points and maintain their health. Based on their experience they can make their way up the corporate ladder. Depending upon their wealth and health, people can purchase products to reach certain milestones in their life.
There are three main modules of the game
- Companies - A company is setup by a founder who gives the company its identity - its values, its industry and its name. People may join this company which allows them to sell products pertaining to the industry in which it operates.
- Products - Each industry has certain levels of product offerings. Each level encompasses certain products. Products have certain characteristics which identify them - price in dollars, certain experience points, a social status value associated with it and whether it’s an essential commodity or a luxury good.
- People - All people must buy/sell goods to progress in their corporate life and personal life. Experience points allow one to go up the corporate ladder and sell more goods and earn more experience and money in turn. Buying goods helps one to maintain their health and increase their social status.
SCOPE & OBJECTIVE
- Implement the above mentioned functionalities
- A user should be able to buy/sell goods, complete milestones and also be able to climb up the corporate ladder
- Develop a scalable game with an intuitive, clean and appealing UI which is capable of doing everything mentioned in point 1 & 2.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Experience on some challenges you WILL face in your jobs (banks or technology firms) – managing real time data, optimization, disaster recovery etc.
- Great exposure to some good technologies – SQLite, PHP
- End-to-end experience of Facebook platform – Facebook API, starting development, managing adverts, Facebook credits
- Game development – hottest trend in technology today!
- Some good advice from people who have gone through this themselves – design patterns, avoiding common pitfalls, best practices
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The following skills will prove helpful in the course of the project. However, there is no requirement to know these skills beforehand.
- Fun and highly motivated team members
- Team that has bright ideas and can advise us when necessary
- “Real time” data handling
- Synchronous and asynchronous web requests
- Database Management skills – especially, MySQL or SQLite
- Facebook Account management – example: open-authentication
HELP IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE!
- Programming help
- Database Management
- Some Facebook account management
- Identifying/understanding business requirements
SO, WHO ARE WE?
We are two young guys fresh from university with a lot of bright ideas, good programming skills and a desire to lead and to be led. We are easy going and understand the psyche of undergraduate developers well and hence offer our fullest knowledge and support so that this project benefits everyone – you and us. Feel free to call us/meet us in case you want to clarify something. See you on the other side.
- PAYAS GUPTA
Ph.D. Candidate, SIS, SMU
- Email: email@example.com
- Homepage: http://www.mysmu.edu/phdis2008/payas.gupta.2008
- HP: 97278657
- PAWAN GUPTA
SMU Graduate (class of 2010) Commodities Technology @ Standard Chartered Bank
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HP: 96361509
Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd – Analytics Shootout
Project Objective :
At Pivotal Expert, we believe that communities create great products and enhance great ideas. With the launch of Singpath in 2010, we saw developers and educators from around the world begin to contribute ideas and problems that enabled other players to learn and practice new skills in a fun environment.
Project Requirements and Scope
In 2012, Pivotal Expert would like to create a new community around the growing field of data analytics. The project will be based on the technology powering Singpath.com, but it will require new content and business logic to address this new problem domain.
What Students will gain from this project
(a) The experience of building a community from scratch
(b) Learning about new problem domains such as analytics and online gaming
(d) Cloud Computing
If you would like additional information, please contact Chris Boesch (email@example.com), SMU Associate Professor of Information Systems (Practice).
Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd - Story Server
Project Objective :
Story Sever is a game that requires players to perform task on 3rd party websites in order to unlock challenges and various movie scenes. The goal of the project is to make learning new websites and API's a lot more fun and interesting.
Project Requirements and Scope - This application/game will be a web-based application
For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
K-Sketch - Animation for the Rest of Us
K-Sketch allows ordinary computer users to create informal animations from sketches. The system has been highly tuned to allow a wide variety of animations to be made quickly and with little learning. A prototype of the system (for Windows only) and videos describing its use can be found on the K-Sketch website. A new version of the system that runs on many platforms through a web browser will soon be released. This new version is being built to run in Adobe's Flash player and Adobe AIR.
Project 1 Title: Animation Sharing Web Site
New K-Sketch users need an easy way to get started. The goal of this project is to build a web site that will introduce new users to K-Sketch and give them an environment for organizing and sharing their animations. This site should provide a tutorial for using K-Sketch (a written tutorial will be provided for reference), an easy link to the K-Sketch application, and facilities for managing and sharing animations. The animation management interface will serve two classes of users:
- Novices who are learning about animation. These users need to maintain a small number of animations and share them with friends.
- Teachers who ask their students to create animations as an exercise. These users need to create "assignments" that will be given to other users. The animations created in these assignments will be managed as a group.
This web site will be deployed on cloud computing infrastructure, and will become an important part of the K-Sketch project!
Prerequisites: Students must have an interest in designing user interfaces and experience in building and deploying web applications to Google's App Engine.
Timeline: about 6 months.
Contact: Richard C. Davis (email@example.com, tel 6828 1967), SMU Assistant Professor of Information Systems.
Contact: Richard C. Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 6828 1967), SMU Assistant Professor of Information Systems.
Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
iLab@SMU is a collaborative partnership setup in 2006 by Standard Chartered Bank and SMU to create a hotbed for business, technology and financial innovations that will be rolled out across the Bank's network in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, while delivering on the Bank's commitment and belief in talent development. The collaboration creates opportunities for students to experience the corporate environment as they work on projects to solve real-life business problems with the Bank.
iLab@SMU has sponsored close to fifty IS480 projects since its inception in 2006 and had generously recognized and rewarded excellent performance from IS480 teams and individuals that delivered exceptional results in their projects.
Got ideas? Talk to us about it!
Come to us if you want to explore project possibilities. A number of iLAB projects have been initiated by YOUR ideas, and then refined through interaction with SCB professionals.
Requirements for ALL iLab@SMU projects :
- Passion and Willingness to explore boundaries of innovations
- New tools, Development environment
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop an email to me to arrange a time with our staff to find out more about the Standard Chartered Bank @ iLab!
SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
Alexandra Health, together with the School of Information Systems (SIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) have established a partnership since May 2010 to work together to demonstrate fresh and better ways to serve and satisfy patients whenever they are interacting with the Alexandra Health system. Through this partnership, a joint mechanism known as the "T-Lab" has been established that enables students, staff and faculty of SMU's School of Information Systems (SIS) to team with professionals from Alexandra Health to work on a continuing series of projects to improve service delivery, quality, productivity and experience.
Come and talk to us if you are interested in working on a project aimed at adding value to the delivery of healthcare services.
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - email@example.com
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Distributed Form Processing using Image Snippets
This is a distributed data entry based on the scanned image of a physical document. It will make use of technology and networks to accomplish a simple data entry task in a distributed, cost effective way. After a physical document is scanned into a image compression form, the various parts of the scanned image are cropped into image snippets. These image snippets will then be sent to our various offshore offices for data entry. Once data entry has been completed by offshore offices, the data will be sent back to the primary office and consolidated to have complete data for the scanned document. For example, suppose we want to capture the Name , Age, IC number from a handwritten form. Following will be the typical flow:
1. Scan the form in Singapore and assign a Unique Identifier to the scanned image at main site
2. Crop the various parts of scanned images such as Name, Age, IC and assign a sub identifier.
3. Send these cropped images over the network to offsite which could be anywhere
4. Provide a simple application where user can enter the data based on cropped image displayed on screen
5. Generate a file with Data & sub-identifier and send back to main site
6. Consolidate data from sub-sites and tie back to unique identifier at main site.
The following are expected: 1) discuss with us to understand/clarify the requirements and processing needs. 2) propose a solution with POC/prototype based on
* java and swing * java imaging * MS-SQL
Contact through: Kevin Steppe (firstname.lastname@example.org)