Projects/2011-2012 Term 1
- 1 MOSAIC: Enhancing MySentosa App with Social Media and Insight
- 2 Premium Staffing - iPhone/Android job listing from partners
- 3 G-Element - 3D SMU social media visualizer
- 4 Cab4Free : Survey/Analytics Mobile System
- 5 Kampung Temasek
- 6 Facebook Multiplayer Game
- 7 Grace Education International: International Students (Social Community) Web Portal
- 8 Prof Thomas Menkhoff: TWITTER Q&A
- 9 Buy1GIVE1 – Creating a world full of giving
- 10 Positive Intentions - Team management platform
- 11 We-nnovate - Online and mobile app that profile and maps a person's and teams' thinking
- 12 TEDxSingapore - Project Connect
- 13 ITE - Instructional Templates for eLearning
- 14 Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd – Sketch/Animation Game
- 15 Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd - Singapore Personal Shopper
- 16 Lodestone Management Consultants Pte Ltd – Online Assessment Tool
- 17 Entrepreneurship Education - Interactive Education Application on Samsung Galaxy Tab
- 18 Project Genesis: Tools for IS480 Journey Embarkment
- 19 “Software Activation and Copy Protection Method” by Ngee Ann Poly under IIE Academic Affiliate Program
- 20 TangoFX – Collaboration between ABOVE and SMU
- 21 A Web2.0 Online Social Community for IS480
- 22 Driving Singapore's Service Excellence: An interactive, dynamic website for CSISG corporate subscribers
- 23 StarHub - Interactive Applications on Mobile/TV
- 24 K-Sketch - Animation for the Rest of Us
- 25 Tan Kin Lian & Associates
- 26 Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
- 27 SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
- 28 Distributed Form Processing using Image Snippets
MOSAIC: Enhancing MySentosa App with Social Media and Insight
Come work closely with the Sentosa IT group and the SMU-CMU Living Analytics Research Center (LARC) to see real-life analytics in action at Sentosa and enjoy über-cool benefits (including free entry passes to Sentosa and the island attractions) !!!
SMU and the Living Analytics Research Center (LARC: www.larc.smu.edu.sg) is working closely with Sentosa Leisure Group (SLC) to build the next generation of real-time analytics capabilities for transforming visitor experience at leisure resorts and attractions worldwide! As part of this broad engagement, this project will focus on building (both the client-side and server-side) enhancements for the next-generation MySentosa iPhone mobile application. The project will involve close coordination and supervision by the Sentosa IT team.
Currently, the MySentosa App allows island visitors to obtain the latest information on events or attractions, to find the location of such events and to post updates on Facebook and Twitter. This project will extend the capabilities of the App in two distinct ways:
- Social Media & Application Integration: The team will build a MySentosa App on Facebook that is able to pull in FB updates from peers/friends and provide relevant customized status reports on the MySentosa App. For example, it could alert the guest that a close friend is due to visit Sentosa today or be able to display pictures of an attraction posted on FB by other FB peers.
- Integration of Guest Behavior Patterns and Ride Conditions: The augmented MySentosa App will integrate with the analytics and visualization capabilities from a companion IS480 project (“SIVA”) to augment the information on attractions with additional analytical insights (e.g., “customers historically experience >15mins wait times at ride X” or “the number of guests entering ride Y in the last 15 mins is much higher than normal”). Such insights can help guests using the MySentosa App to optimize their visit experience based on social feedback and current attraction conditions.
Skills & Requirements:
In general, executing this project will require the team to utilize a variety of industry-standard & widely-used technologies, related to Web-programming, iPhone/iOS programming and social networking technologies. Some useful technologies include:
- iOS SDK programming
- Facebook Platform APIs
Clearly, not all team members need to have prior experience/expertise in all of these technologies. However, all students should have successfully completed IS305 (EWS) and it is strongly recommended that at least one team member has expertise in the respective areas: iOS programming, FB App development and completed IS 424 (Data Mining & Busines Analytics).
What’s in it for you?
This project will not only develop your skills in building a real next-generation Mobile App that integrated both social networking and data analytics content (from multiple external sources) but also expose you to the challenges associated with the interactive visualization of such rich content on a smartphone platform. It will also give the team an invaluable exposure into the emerging future of the use of rich data analytics for enhancing guest experience in the leisure and hospitality industry. In particular, the team will be mentored by Sentosa’s IT services group—hence, the students will be exposed to the technology and business issues associated with the operations of one of Asia’s largest leisure operators. And don’t forget, team members get a 6 month free access to Sentosa and its attractions!
For additional information, please email Prof. Archan MISRA (email@example.com)
Project Supervisor: Archan MISRA, SMU
Project Sponsor: West Jean Ong, Sentosa Leisure Group (SLG)
Premium Staffing - iPhone/Android job listing from partners
Project Objective: As an emerging recruitment company, it is imperative for Premium Staffing (subsidiary of AYP Associates – a leading executive search company) to establish itself in Singapore’s recruitment industry so as to enhance its brand equity. Premium Staffing seeks to heighten brand awareness as well as value-add to the recruitment services rendered by the consultants through the creation and development of iPhone and/Android applications for candidates and clients alike to access job listing information on the go.
Company Background: Premium Staffing is a one-stop workforce solutions provider renowned for its prompt delivery and competency in providing only the best candidates to companies. It has a proven track record in serving local and multinational clients around the region for various types of vacancies, ranging from permanent to contract to temporary staff placements to human resource outsourcing. It conducts search for candidates seeking junior to mid-level positions.
Project Requirements and Scope:
- Extract and consolidate job listing information posted by Premium Staffing from partner portals such as JobsDB and JobStreet
- There should be flexibility in allowing for extraction of information from additional portals (e.g. Monster) in the future
- Consultants are able to make real-time updates to the information posted
- Responsible, innovative and highly motivated team players
- Committed team who possesses the drive to lead a project to fruition
- Experience with iPhone and/Android App programming (not necessary)
- Affable and supportive staff who are able to meet with the team regularly to provide advice and strategic direction though teams will be given considerable autonomy and freedom during the span of the project
- Excellent testimonials
- Free beverages during discussion sessions!
Contact Person: Interested applicants to email Brandon Kew at firstname.lastname@example.org and Siow Yun at email@example.com.
Create a simplified 3D model of SMU, and use Facebook Places API (or equivalent), Twitter, Flickr, etc. to display posts/tweets/photos dynamically on the 3D map. GermaniumWeb (www.germanium3d.com) is the required 3D platform for this project.
Students/staff/visitors can use the 3D visualization and social-media service to find out what their friends are saying anytime, anywhere (in SMU).
The team should preferably have experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- PHP or other server-side scripting language
- Basic web development skills
- Web services
- Basic 3D modeling using Google SketchUp or 3ds Max
A useful starting point is the training videos for GermaniumWeb: http://blog.germanium3d.com/2010/07/video-for-cxa2010-training.html
If you are interested, please contact Chwan Ren at firstname.lastname@example.org PDF
Cab4Free : Survey/Analytics Mobile System
Cab4Free’s vision is to provide users a channel to monetize time and information. A globally scalable service innovation which brings free cab rides to passengers, and vouchers/cash to users. The gist lies in converting the value of time into money. We provide the linkage by tying Market Research firms together with Taxi companies and retailers.
In Cab4Free, we tap on Mobile surveys as well as the existing GPS that Taxis currently have to deliver free cab rides by exchanging completed surveys for a free ride. Apart from that, we design ways to improve the overall efficiency, for instance cab sharing in the load of 4 passengers, planning the driving route using GPS to provide estimated fare, and using Google traffic and EMAS to utilize traffic intelligence on the move to boost efficiency.
Scope of Project:
- Core: Survey Module
- Core: Analytics Module
- Advanced: Mobile Platform (iPhone then Android)
Requirements of the Team
- Tech savvy team - Familiar with Google app engine - JSP, Java, Jquery, Js, actionscript, flash, jdo
Contact Informations : Name : Saiful , CTO Email : email@example.com Mobile : +65 90070053(Singapore)
Project 1: Educational Facebook Game Development
WHO ARE WE?
Kampung Temasek, The School of Doing is a outdoor experimental school located 30 minutes away from Singapore in Johor Bahru Malaysia. It is outdoor laboratory for schools to run their academic subjects such as Math, Science, Biology, History etc in natural environment. They can about 3 days during their academics semesters to learn how to build a solar oven by calculating how much energy is collected from the sun and time taken to cook an egg, or they go into the forest to explore the bio-diversity of organisms and learn how the eco-system in the forest work. Our aim is to reinforce the students’ learning through Doing.
WHAT ARE WE DESIGNING?
We are interested to explore how an online social network platform like Facebook and the method of using game to develop and engage the interest of youths to learn about the work of Kampung Temasek in a fun way. Therefore, we focus on developing a farmville-style game, where by a user can build and design their very own village with interesting game mechanisms to simulate real living situation. Through playing the game, we want to introduce snippets of interesting educational info to enrich and inform the players. We will be able to integrate information about Kampung Temasek into some of the game features.
To read more about Potential Impact, What has Previous team Done and Scope, please [click here].
Project 2: Designing an Open Source Platform to Advance LEARNING - EYWTKAL
WHAT ARE WE DESIGNING HERE?
We want to design and explore the field of LEARNING Online. The concept is “Everything You Want To Know About Learning” or EYWTKAL: pronounce as [ee-wit-car]
This will be an open source content for the global community to SHARE & LEARN.
SHARE: an interactive feature that allows user to formulate its content effectively and upload conveniently. Wikipedia, wikia, wikispaces and many online wiki tools are the current options that we can used to build an open source content but not necessary easy to use.
LEARN: Most of the information online was taken to be in text, pictures and videos arranged in web page format. Content flows from top to bottom. More interactive applications goes into 3D object viewing etc. We want to ask ourselves are there better way of displaying information that allows learning to take place in a more effective way when user interact with their computers or web browser.
THEN WHAT IS THE OBJECTIVE OF THIS PROJECT? RESEARCH & UNDERSTAND: How learning take place? DESIGNING: How can learning take place online? CONCEPT PROVING: What are some of the online system design that allows people to SHARE & LEARN? Prove by building prototypes of the interactive applications etc.
- The design process will be done along with educational experts from Kampung Temasek or network.
To read more about Potential Impact and Possible Technology, please [click here]. (scroll down to page 3 on the link document)
Ju Hu, firstname.lastname@example.org www.kampungtemasek.org www.facebook.com/kampungtemsaek www.twitter.com/kampungtemasek
Eligible for Lien Center award
Facebook Multiplayer Game
Team needs to develop a Facebook multiplayer game where users can setup companies that operate in certain industries. People can then buy and sell products to earn money, experience points and maintain their health. Based on their experience they can make their way up the corporate ladder. Depending upon their wealth and health, people can purchase products to reach certain milestones in their life.
There are three main modules of the game
- Companies - A company is setup by a founder who gives the company its identity - its values, its industry and its name. People may join this company which allows them to sell products pertaining to the industry in which it operates.
- Products - Each industry has certain levels of product offerings. Each level encompasses certain products. Products have certain characteristics which identify them - price in dollars, certain experience points, a social status value associated with it and whether it’s an essential commodity or a luxury good.
- People - All people must buy/sell goods to progress in their corporate life and personal life. Experience points allow one to go up the corporate ladder and sell more goods and earn more experience and money in turn. Buying goods helps one to maintain their health and increase their social status.
SCOPE & OBJECTIVE
- Implement the above mentioned functionalities
- A user should be able to buy/sell goods, complete milestones and also be able to climb up the corporate ladder
- Develop a scalable game with an intuitive, clean and appealing UI which is capable of doing everything mentioned in point 1 & 2.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Experience on some challenges you WILL face in your jobs (banks or technology firms) – managing real time data, optimization, disaster recovery etc.
- Great exposure to some good technologies – SQLite, PHP
- End-to-end experience of Facebook platform – Facebook API, starting development, managing adverts, Facebook credits
- Game development – hottest trend in technology today!
- Some good advice from people who have gone through this themselves – design patterns, avoiding common pitfalls, best practices
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The following skills will prove helpful in the course of the project. However, there is no requirement to know these skills beforehand.
- Fun and highly motivated team members
- Team that has bright ideas and can advise us when necessary
- “Real time” data handling
- Synchronous and asynchronous web requests
- Database Management skills – especially, MySQL or SQLite
- Facebook Account management – example: open-authentication
HELP IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE!
- Programming help
- Database Management
- Some Facebook account management
- Identifying/understanding business requirements
SO, WHO ARE WE?
We are two young guys fresh from university with a lot of bright ideas, good programming skills and a desire to lead and to be led. We are easy going and understand the psyche of undergraduate developers well and hence offer our fullest knowledge and support so that this project benefits everyone – you and us. Feel free to call us/meet us in case you want to clarify something. See you on the other side.
- PAYAS GUPTA
Ph.D. Candidate, SIS, SMU
- Email: email@example.com
- Homepage: http://www.mysmu.edu/phdis2008/payas.gupta.2008
- HP: 97278657
- PAWAN GUPTA
SMU Graduate (class of 2010) Commodities Technology @ Standard Chartered Bank
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HP: 96361509
Grace Education International: International Students (Social Community) Web Portal
This project involves developing a one-stop web portal for international students in Singapore targeted mainly at tertiary international students from private and public tertiary institutions in Singapore. The portal aims to meet the needs of these international students through not only being informational (easy part) but also through being a social community for them. One of the purposes of this website is to aid international students in integrating into Singapore culture.
- Ability to work with (or create!) a complex Content Management
System (CMS) of choice - e.g. Drupal or whatever the group is comfortable with - and its various components/plugins.
- Ability to develop a portal with various complex features that
promotes a social community (forum, facebook-like features, etc.)
- Ability to create databases for the portal
- Ability to do a bit of internet marketing to promote this website
- While the sponsor has specific ideas about the direction and the
functions of the website, he is also keen for the students to contribute creatively to the development of the web portal as long as the goal of creating a social community portal for international students in Singapore is accomplished."
Project Sponsor Jonathan Koh <email@example.com>, Founder, Grace Education International
Prof Thomas Menkhoff: TWITTER Q&A
Twitter, the microblogging platform that allows users to post their thoughts has become a worldwide social networking phenomenon. Despite its popularity and buzz, has not really caught on in the classroom yet.
After a trial run in a class of 30+ students, we’ve received very positive feedback of its success in helping ‘less active’ students participate in class, solicit and run discussions even when groups are presenting, and possibly a good way to continue discussions after class is over.
However, there were some issues that hindered ‘greater’ success, mainly the Twitter deleting Tweets from >24-48 hrs old and the inability to give focus to good Tweets (which could be questions or comments).
Objective and scope:
- Implement a real-time Q&A system (like pigeonhole.sg) that is based on Twitter Tweets
- The system should have the following capabilities:
- Users can login via Twitter account
- Users can post to Twitter from the system
- Users can search for discussions using Twitter hashtags
- Accessible on both PC and mobile browsers
Ideally, students should be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Twitter API
- Twitter login via OAuth
- Web services
- Professor Thomas Menkhoff (firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour & Human Resources (Practice)
- For more info, please contact Gabriel Yee (email@example.com)
B1G1 (Buy1GIVE1): a world full of giving
B1G1 is a global giving initiative based in Singapore that makes giving a literal habit through the magic of transaction-based giving. Imagine — every time business is transacted, some REAL good gets done. Buy a coffee, a kid gets water; buy a TV, a person gets sight. Effortlessly.
We believe this is the way that we can together create a world that is full of giving. Just imagine if every time you bought something, it made a difference.
Since being launched in 2007, B1G1 has added over 600 projects to the list of Worthy Causes and it now works with more than 300 businesses from various countries. Find out more at http://www.b1g1.com
What YOU can do with B1G1
B1G1 has worked with three SIS student groups (plus one current project) in the last 18 months and two of them have won Lien Centre’s Awards. All of the students really enjoyed working with us because of the innovative aspect of our projects and because we become very involved in the projects with each team.
Every innovation in B1G1 (and there have been many) since late 2009 has come from SIS teams.
For B1G1, having great systems makes a huge difference to the way we work and to the impact we can have. So working on a B1G1 project means you can build something that has a worldwide reach and can really impact lives. You will have 100% support from the B1G1 Team throughout the project period. We will s t r e t c h each other!
We have various project ideas for this coming term. When you contact us to explore more, we will together decide what project to work on. This will also depend on your team’s strength and expertise.
Examples of project options:
- iPhone, iPad and Android app(s) for giving: a simple, powerful and engaging giving platform to further spread giving in our world
- Giving Central v2: Enhanced interactive giving engine to engage more businesses and people worldwide
Do you have what it takes?
B1G1 is looking for a team that can meet the criteria:
- Creative, proactive and enthusiastic
- Willing to work hard toward building something that can be fully utilised on completion
- Good communication skills and willing to work closely together with B1G1 Team
- Strong with PHP, JAVA and MYSQL
- Experience with iPhone or/and Android App programming is preferable (not necessary)
If your team is interested, contact us now so we can explore more together.
- Contact: Masami Sato, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligible for Lien Center award
Positive Intentions - Team management platform
Project objective :
At this stage of our growth, we see the need to develop an online human resource management portal to more efficiently mobilize our team of facilitators and staff for our training events, talks, workshops, and camps. As more training opportunities come our way, we see the need to also develop a platform for project management as well.
Specifically we need a team that is able to:
- Design a Java based back-end software with a calendar and scheduler for human resource management.
- Profile pages for trainers, facilitators, staff and volunteers.
- Able to broadcast emails or notifications of upcoming events.
- Able to send out automated reminders for team members who have signed up to attend events.
- Integration with existing Facebook accounts of individual team members.
- Able to upload Microsoft Word documents, PDFs, music in mp3, or mp4 videos to an online storage server for facilitators and account holders to access and download.
- Able to prepare and display program runsheets for event and logistics management.
- OPTIONAL: Create an iOS App that is able to sync to the Calendar and Scheduler.
Who We are Looking For
Fun and highly motivated team members skilled in programming for:
- MySQL databases
- Facebook account integration
- OPTIONAL: iOS app development
Creative designers who are familiar with:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Server hosting for the portal with a MySQL database.
- Positive and supportive staff and team members who will meet and consult with the development team regularly.
- Photos, logos, and background images.
- Beta testing team before the final run up to the launch of the portal.
- Free coffee!
Contact: LEONG Rhui Ching, Michelle email@example.com [Positive Intentions]
For more information
We-nnovate - Online and mobile app that profile and maps a person's and teams' thinking
Innovation is critical to an organisation’s future and success: The creation, enhancement and launch of new products and services to serve needs of their customers or stakeholders.
While almost everyone agrees that ideas are important and valuable, ironically, not many organizations nurture ideas or innovate well. The innovation journey from brainstorming new ideas to selecting ideas to focus on and to build into new products and services is hazardous.
Paradoxically, ideas are powerful, yet fragile. New ideas face many pitfalls and obstacles on their journey to being realized, derailed by human factors, including thinking and behavioral characteristics in organizations and teams. When people and teams gain a deeper awareness of their strengths (and weaknesses) in the innovation process, they can adapt and adjust to improve their innovative capability and process.
Objective and scope :
- To design, build and launch an online and mobile application tool that profile and maps a person’s and teams’ thinking and behavioral characteristics.
- A bank of questions is posed, and responses asked for. This data responses is compiled, computed, and depending on the results, various different pre-set reports will be compiled, combined and generated as PDF files.
- In addition, data can be selective grouped, computed on this basis with group reports generated.
- These individual and group reports are also stored for retrieval individual account and login.
- All raw data is stored and available for dowloading by admin login.
Who would this opportunity suit?
- Dynamic students who have interest designing a web and mobile database-centric application.
Skills in database design and programming, website and mobile PDA interface and apps, and relevant technologies and languages.
- Ideally students who have interest in creativity, innovation, team work and dynamics.
What can you do next?
- Look at various online profiling tools/surveys e.g. psychometric profiles, and the design of online test engines and user interfaces.
Contact: David Lim, Managing partner, We-nnovate email dave@IdeasWorthDoing.org
For more information
TEDxSingapore - Project Connect
Problem/Challenge : The mission of TED and TEDxSingapore is to connect thinkers and doers together to build a better future.
We seek to do this simply, meaningfully and powerfully.
Online our community is connected mainly through Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. There are also profile pages and conversations platforms on TED.com. However, these social networks are not purpose-designed to connect mass numbers of people effectively or meaningfully.
For example, we would like to enable the community to find and connect with people based on common passions, or by common interests in Talks or community initiatives like the TED Prize, or any project ideas initiated by people.
Project objective & scope :
- To design and launch an online social network platform that complements that existing social networks.
- Most importantly, this platform will enable members of the community to find and connect to others in more meaningful and useful ways that general social network platforms cannot do.
- Also members will be able to find and connect with each other based on common interests, passion and other fields. They could also connect based on common interest in particular topics, Talks or initiate or join project ideas like the TED Prize.
- It is envisaged that community members will be able to incorporate or ‘pull’ information on a permission basis from their existing profile pages on FB, TED.com or LinkedIn without having to retype and reenter this information from scratch.
What is the opportunity for you?
- To design, build and launch a new and complementary community connection platform to help thinkers and doers find and connect with each other in more relevant, meaningful and purposeful ways.
Who would this opportunity suit?
- Dynamic students who have interest and passion in social networks, building communities of purpose, and in conceptualising and designing new frontiers in connecting people
- Kkills and interest in website and database design and programming, user interface design, mobile PDA apps, and relevant technologies and languages.
Ideally students who are passionate about ideas and familiar with TED.com
What can you do next?
- Look at the existing social platforms and web assets:
Contact: Dave LIM, Founding Curator, TEDxSingapore email ILoveTED@TEDxSingapore.sg ~ for passion, for people, for purpose
For more information
ITE - Instructional Templates for eLearning
Project Objective : The objectives of this Project are to develop Instructional Templates that will:
- Achieve consistency in e-learning materials across the Institute.
- Achieve the desired quality of instructionally sound elearning materials.
- Speed up the e-learning content development process.
Project scope : The students will assist the Senior Instructional Design Specialist to:
- Set a process/strategy for e-learning content design, development, review and implementation.
- Analyse lecturers’ instructional styles, students’ learning needs, and curriculum and content requirements for selected curriculum in one school.
- Study the instructional strategies that can best support elearning for these selected curriculum e.g. problem-based learning, storytelling approach, case-based learning, scenario-based learning etc.
- Map the storyboards of selected content to the possible layouts of the instructional templates.
- Research and recommend the best technologies to create web-based instructional templates that are
- platform and software independent
- instructionally sound
- able to support different media e.g. audios, videos, animations, graphics, etc.
- able to support text to voice conversion engine
- easy to use (i.e. users need not know any programming or scripting) e.g. drag and drop features
ITE can provide the necessary development and testing environments, including a digital media repository where students can search and import media content to the templates.
- Recommend and prototype using tools, best practices and procedures in adopting “Instructional Template”.
- Develop, test and implement Instructional Template applications for selected content in a school.
Prerequisites: Students must have an interest in designing user interfaces and experience in building and deploying web applications. Timeline: about 4 months.
ITE - Learning Technologies Development
The Educational Design & Technology Division at the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) is established to pursue educational excellence through innovations with information and instructional technologies. We are looking for students who are keen to develop reusable instructional templates for lecturers to rapidly produce interactive and engaging eLearning content for their students.
Contact: Soo Ee Ling (Soo_Ee_Ling@ite.edu.sg, tel 6590 2356), Senior Instructional Design Specialist/Learning Technologies Development, EDT Division at ITE
Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd – Sketch/Animation Game
Project Objective :
At Pivotal Expert, we believe that communities create great products and enhance great ideas. With the launch of Singpath in 2010, we saw developers and educators from around the world begin to contribute ideas and problems that enabled other players to learn and practice new skills in a fun environment.
Project Requirements and Scope
In 2011, Pivotal Expert would like to create a new community around sketching and animation. We are not looking for animation experts. Rather, we are looking for students are interested in working with great animators located in Singapore and around the world. The project will be based on the technology powering Singpath.com, but it will require new content and business logic to address this new problem domain. It is envisioned that the collaborating animators and graphics designers from around the world will contribute ideas for badges and achievements that will be incorporated in to the game.
What Students will gain from this project
(a) The experience of building a community from scratch
(b) Learning about new problem domains such as animation education and online gaming
(d) Cloud Computing
If you would like additional information, please contact Chris Boesch (firstname.lastname@example.org), SMU Associate Professor of Information Systems (Practice).
Pivotal Expert Pte Ltd - Singapore Personal Shopper
Project Objective :
If you have ever been looking for a good excuse to visit the fanciest shops along Orchard Road, this may be the FYP project for you. We are looking for students that are interested in the challenges that tourist shoppers face when they visit Singapore from abroad. The team will be developing a game that we have envisioned which will help foreign shoppers and local merchants get to know each other in a fun and engaging manner. Even the tag along spouses may enjoy it.
Project Requirements and Scope - This application/game will be an iPad application
For additional information, please email email@example.com
Lodestone Management Consultants Pte Ltd – Online Assessment Tool
Project Objective :
We like to develop an assessment tool that will be available online or through tablets that will allow us to understand organisations operations and performance against industry benchmarks and highlights actionable items that will take organisations to a higher performance level.
Project Requirements and Scope
The assessment tool must cover :
- 3 key business areas such as Supply Chain, Human Capital Management, Customer Relationship Managements – key areas that help organisations create sustainable performance advantage
- Leverage web / tablet technology so that users can leverage these technologies to use the tool
- Has the flexibility to allow the administrator to maintain the questionnaires
- Allows users to print their assessment results (ppt, or graphic format)
- Companies assessment result can be displayed in graphical format
What Students will gain from this project
(a) Cross Functional Knowledge
Students will be exposed to different business domains ( CRM, SCM, HCM) and technologies ( web technologies, tablets etc). Therefore good for students who wants hands-on domain knowledge
(b) Experience working in a consulting environment
What we have provided in here are just some of our ideas for this project. Students are encouraged to bring in their thoughts and work in a consultative environment
(c) Opportunities to pursue long term working relationship
We are a young but growing organization. We are always in the market to look for local talents to grow with us.
Company Background :
Lodestone Management Consultants Pte Ltd is a dynamic and growing organization. We are a Swiss based organization founded by former “Big 4” Executives. Our geographic expansion meets the needs of our clients who want us co-located with them in countries where they have business operations. We are in Asia for the long term. We have offices in Bangkok, Singapore, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Shanghai. We are also able to service the entire region through our flexible delivery model.
Our team combines the Asian attitude of attention to detail with a willingness to innovate and create new solutions.
Our core capabilities lie in making strategy real and delivering measurable improvements to business performance.
We use our significant operational experience to help clients design smoothly enabled business processes. To deliver working processes we apply competencies in education/ training, skills development and change management so that the changes stick.
Please visit our website (http://www.lodestonemc.com/) to get an understanding of who we are and what we do.
If you need more information, feel free to call me or email me : Philip.firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel : 8139 0198
Eligible for Lodestone Management Consultants IS480 award
Entrepreneurship Education - Interactive Education Application on Samsung Galaxy Tab
Entrepreneurship-Education.com, an education platform online providing the best tips and discussion to aspiring entrepreneurs , unrivalled range of content, and most importantly its constant push for new and innovative services that generates great value to our aspiring entrepreneurs and students.
Entrepreneurship-Education.com is keen for students to embark on the following projects:
Project : Mobile Education Application
As most mobile devices now comes with both high-speed mobile broadband, Entrepreneurship-Education.com would like to explore on harnessing the abilities of such devices taps onto such capabilities. The applications should:
1. Be developed on Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android)
2. Develop mobile version - Entrepreneurship-Education.com
3. Content integration with Entrepreneurship-Education.com
Teams are encouraged to propose functions deem suitable. Sample ideas are: - Facebook connect - Twitter tweets.
What should you do?
1. Take a look at Entrepreneurship-eduction's website at http://forums.entrepreneurship-education.com/ and discover the range of functions and content that your team could be build on
2. Contact Pamela at email@example.com for a chat on the possibilities of the project.
3. Think of this project to go beyond just a student project, but going as far as a commercial service.
Project Genesis: Tools for IS480 Journey Embarkment
Genesis refers to the beginning or the origin. It aims to create tools for the IS480 course.
The project consists of the following modules:
- Search engine (main): This module will crawl various websites to produce dynamic web pages. The diagram (right) illustrates its searches of various IS480 website to retrieve an integrated search results dynamically. Users will be able to retrieve relevant information faster and easier. For example, a student doing an IS480 project using Android platform may decide to use this module to search for relevant past project using Android. It will simply allow user to collate all the relevant information and display it into a HTML page.
- Crawl websites (blue, wiki, video, etc) with search criteria (eg search string, depth level of X, etc) to look for HTML pages with the matching keywords in the HTML page content.
- Results of the search will then be retrieved and displayed in a list of HTML links with some short description.
- User will filter the relevant results by selecting some options (eg URL within wiki.smu.edu.sg/is480 only, manually select URLs to include, assignment URLs to categories such as Projects, Knowledge base, Students, etc)
- Visualization of the filtered/selected links to HTML page
- Infrastructure: Website to manage the UPL infrastructure.
- Student request for UPL lab access, machine, public IP address, open ports, etc.
- Instructor approving the request and forwarding UPL room request to IITS
- Lab assistance setup, assign and monitoring of UPL machines
- Maintenance of the resources with analysis of machine usage
- Streaming server (considering): Integrating the existing video streaming to include the following
- Search on video clips (integrated to search module)
- SSO with the wiki for SMU accounts
- Project presentation scheduling system (considering)
- Replaces wiki schedule
- SMS/Email Reminders
- Integration to IS480 social community (considering)
More information will be provided to student teams who are interested in this project. Students are welcome to propose any add on functions that further enhance the modules too.
“Software Activation and Copy Protection Method” by Ngee Ann Poly under IIE Academic Affiliate Program
This may be a suitable IS480 project with eligibility for SMU's IIE Academic Alliance Program for $10K grant.
The inventor, Mr Anand, will be conducting a sharing on the IP at the next Affiliates’ Corner to be held on 19 Jan 11 at 6.30 pm at SMU University Lounge. Dinner will be provided. For more details, click here and here
Contact: Ms Joanne firstname.lastname@example.org
TangoFX – Collaboration between ABOVE and SMU
Potential Projects for Students TangoFX is the industry’s first open standards based real-time multi-active media experience engine. TangoFX allows users to interact with media, and with one another, without being dependent on the mode of delivery of the media or the device through which the media is consumed. The software platform runs an advanced user interface and video applications in a limited memory footprint, allowing for optimal implementation on variety of networks and devices. The platform supports all industry standard streaming protocols and methods including Microsoft Smooth Streaming, Progressive Download, HTTP Streaming, and RTMP. Using smart onscreen widgets, the interactive service enhances the viewing experience by allowing viewers to connect with family and friends, pick, share and discuss scenes of mutual interest while watching live or on-demand content. TangoFX allows leveraging existing social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and the like, and builds on top a hierarchical community model.
The TangoFX platform creates a ‘Virtual Living Room’ enabling consumers to interact, socialize and participate when watching their favorite content across any network, device or geography, thereby enabling Community TV.
In partnership with SMU, we are happy to involve the student community to extend the platform. Here are some projects that we are looking to offer to students as part of collaboration and pilot with SMU:
- Applications on iPhone/iPad to leverage the services of TangoFX and provide a seamless experience
- Applications on Android devices to leverage services of the platform and enable interactions
- Custom and segment specific portal applications that use TangoFX interactivity engine to enhance user engagement and interactions
- Development of HTML5 and Flash based UI and media player to provide TangoFX interactivity across platforms
- Building a patent pending analytics and reporting engine
We are also looking at opening the platform services through a set of APIs and / or web services such that 3rd party applications can be developed over TangoFX. This would require working closely with the core team to define the external services.
Students can aim to learn the following while working on any of the above projects:
- Hands on experience of building media and rich internet applications using Web 2.0 technologies
- Market analysis and translating market requirements into applications (complete SDLC)
- Building scalable and flexible architectures for real-world deployment
- In-depth understanding of media and related technologies
- Some projects have potential to generate IP and in the process get an understanding of patents
- Interactions and working along-side professionals and experts from industry
If this sounds exciting and you want to be part of the next generation interactive experience platform, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com
A Web2.0 Online Social Community for IS480
Have you ever wanted to meet the former students of IS480 to get their advice or take a look at all the great projects the IS480 alumni have ever accomplished? Have you ever wished you knew that one of the other teams actually had exactly the right piece of information or tool that you are scratching your head trying to find? Maybe some discussion or hang-out with other teams to release stress? Or to share some of your lessons with those coming IS480 students?
Let's build a online home for IS480 that each and every one of us would love to hang around all the time.
(1) You will be using one of the leading open-source PHP packages out there (e.g. Symfony http://www.symfony-project.org/) which are widely used by many popular websites.
(2) You will need to unleash your imagination to bring the best of IS480 online and draw all of us there.
For details, please come to talk to me.
Contact: SIS Prof. ZHU Feida at firstname.lastname@example.org
Driving Singapore's Service Excellence: An interactive, dynamic website for CSISG corporate subscribers
The Institute of Service Excellence at SMU (ISES) was established by Singapore Management University (SMU) and the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) with the primary aim of raising service standards and promoting a culture of service excellence in Singapore. It was launched by Minister for Transport and Second Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr Raymond Lim at an event in SMU on 18 July 2007.
As Singapore positions itself as a key Asian hub for a broad spectrum of services, having consistent and impeccable service is the foundation to world-class standards of service excellence and leadership. The Institute of Service Excellence aims to nurture a business environment where service excellence is firmly entrenched in the culture, policies and processes, and in the mindsets of the country's leaders and service providers.
The Customer Satisfaction Index of Singapore (CSISG) is a landmark measure of customer satisfaction cutting across sectors and sub-sectors in the services industry of Singapore that is jointly developed by the Institute of Excellence at SMU (ISES) and the Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA). It is produced and updated on an quarterly and annual basis. More information here at http://www.smu.edu.sg/centres/ises/CSISG.asp
As a key service component of ISES, you are expected to build an interactive, dynamic website for CSISG corporate subscribers. The system should meet the following requirements:
(1) through interactively visualizing relationships between variables in 2D, 3D, (and preferably 4D), allow managers to interactively generate a PDF report of their CSISG results
(2) the system should allow them to interactively run regressions to test simple hypotheses
(3) the system should adhere to good data visualisation principles (e.g., Edward Tufte, http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi )
(4) should be a combination of both server side and client side implementation. Minimal information should be sent to the client for visualisation for data protection considerations
(5) clients to support are iOS, Mac, Windows, Linux.
(6) server is Apple Xserve running Mac OS X Server 10.6 (i.e., Apache, MySQL, R).
(7) system should have a moderate to high-level of data security and authentication.
Contact: SIS Prof. ZHU Feida at email@example.com
StarHub - Interactive Applications on Mobile/TV
StarHub, the leading quad-play provider in Singapore, prides itself in providing the best entertainment and information services to consumers via its smart network, unrivalled range of content, and constant most importantly its constant push for new and innovative services that generates great value to our customers.
StarHub is keen for students to embark on the following projects:
Project 1: Mobile Advertising/Location-based Application
As most mobile devices now comes with both high-speed mobile broadband as well as location-aware capabilities, StarHub would like to explore on harnessing the abilities of such devices with an array of mobile applications that taps onto such capabilities. The applications should:
1. Be developed for one or more mobile platforms (iOS, Android, WP7, Blackberry)
2. Enables social and location-based functions
3. Include forms of multimedia playback or content integration
Teams are encouraged to propose out-of-the-box applications and solutions. Sample ideas are:
- Location Based Proximity Dating and Chat
- Telescope magazine on iPad with in-video trailers
Project 2: TV-HTML Browser Applications
StarHub is exploring browser-based applications suitable for TV screens, controllable via remote controls or any other interface connected to setop boxes or TV sets. The applications should:
1. Promote social interactions with peers/communities
2. Provide simpler means of interacting with existing web applications
3. Aggregate different information/services into a single application
Teams should focus on creating an easy-to-user, end-to-end application for customers to use easily on their television sets. Sample application ideas are:
- Social Java script TV games (single and multi player)
- FaceBook/Twitter/other social media on TV
- Fantasy Football
- Discussion/Rating of TV programmes onto Facebook/other social media
- Photo Album (View from Flicker/Picasa etc)
- Aggregate multiple RSS feed for presentation on TV portal
- Recipe/Where to Eat/Promotion TV
- Travel/Where to Go on TV Portal
- My Locator service (tracking of users) on TV
- Shopping Portal
What should you do?
As you start thinking about what sexy application your team should design and develop, you should:
1. Take a look at StarHub's website at http://www.starhub.com and discover the range of products and content that your ideas could be build on
2. Scour the world's greatest technology/multimedia/telecommunications portals and websites and gain insights into what other people are doing with their devices/broadband/location-aware services.
3. Contact Andy at firstname.lastname@example.org for a chat on the possibilities of the project
4. Think of this project to go beyond just a student project, but going as far as a commercial service
K-Sketch - Animation for the Rest of Us
K-Sketch allows ordinary computer users to create informal animations from sketches. The system has been highly tuned to allow a wide variety of animations to be made quickly and with little learning. A prototype of the system (for Windows only) and videos describing its use can be found on the K-Sketch website. A new version of the system that runs on many platforms through a web browser will soon be released. This new version is being built to run in Adobe's Flash player and Adobe AIR.
Project 1 Title: Animation Sharing Web Site
New K-Sketch users need an easy way to get started. The goal of this project is to build a web site that will introduce new users to K-Sketch and give them an environment for organizing and sharing their animations. This site should provide a tutorial for using K-Sketch (a written tutorial will be provided for reference), an easy link to the K-Sketch application, and facilities for managing and sharing animations. The animation management interface will serve two classes of users:
- Novices who are learning about animation. These users need to maintain a small number of animations and share them with friends.
- Teachers who ask their students to create animations as an exercise. These users need to create "assignments" that will be given to other users. The animations created in these assignments will be managed as a group.
This web site will be deployed on cloud computing infrastructure, and will become an important part of the K-Sketch project!
Prerequisites: Students must have an interest in designing user interfaces and experience in building and deploying web applications to Google's App Engine.
Timeline: about 6 months.
Contact: Richard C. Davis (email@example.com, tel 6828 1967), SMU Assistant Professor of Information Systems.
Project 2 Title: K-Sketch on iPad
We are also looking for a motivated group of students to take on the task of porting K-Sketch to Apple's iPad. K-Sketch is being designed for mouse-based and pen-based systems, but it is perfect for portable tablets like the iPad. Adobe provides tools for converting ActionScript-based Flex applications to Objective-C-based iPad applications, but K-Sketch's user interface must be modified for multi-touch input. The students who undertake this project will be able to show their prospective employers a dynamic application that runs on the hottest software platform in the world.
Prerequisites: Interest in user interface design and strong programming ability are a must. Students must also have interest in learning how to build event-based, multi-touch user interfaces in ActionScript and Objective-C. Students need to have their own Macintosh computers for development. Licenses for Adobe Flash Builder and a single iPad will be provided.
Timeline: about 6 months.
Contact: Richard C. Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel 6828 1967), SMU Assistant Professor of Information Systems.
Tan Kin Lian & Associates
Sudoku is a popular game, with a large base of fans around the world. There are many Sudoku games available on many devices and websites. Countless books have also been published.
The special feature of Bright Sudoku are:
- Can be played on many types of mobile devices
- Gives a choice of levels 1 to 6
- Provides a vast array of choice of puzzles at each level
- Have a unique system of giving a score for each puzzle that is completed, based on the time taken by the player compared to the average time for the community
- Allows the player to track the personal progress for each level and up the levels
- Allows the player to reduce the time taken through constant practice
For more details, click here
Note from course manager: It is obvious you can get sudoku code from the web. Some algorithm analysis, additional components above, mobile devices (depends on available handset), etc are part of the scope of this project.
Family Life is a game that can be played on the web and mobile device. Tan Kin Lian & Associates will develop the server side of this game. The features of this game are explained in the book called “Family Life”. A soft copy of this book can be downloaded from here.
This web game allows you to choose an avatar at age 20 and go through 40 virtual years of the life of the avatar until retirement at age 60. Each virtual year is played over 12 hours. The game can be completed within 20 days.
The web version of this game can now be viewed at here
Final Year Project
Tan Kin Lian & Associates wishes to invite several teams of students from the school of information technology or similar schools in polytechnics and universities to develop applications to interact with the server) on the following mobile devices platforms:
- Apple iPhone
- Microsoft Window Phone 7
- Nokia Phone
- Android Phone
The server application has already been developed and is now running. The web interface to this application can be seen at here
A cash prize of $1,000 will be given to the project team that develops an application (on at least three platforms) that has been accepted for deployment.
For more details, click here
Tan Kin Lian | email@example.com
Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
iLab@SMU is a collaborative partnership setup in 2006 by Standard Chartered Bank and SMU to create a hotbed for business, technology and financial innovations that will be rolled out across the Bank's network in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, while delivering on the Bank's commitment and belief in talent development. The collaboration creates opportunities for students to experience the corporate environment as they work on projects to solve real-life business problems with the Bank.
iLab@SMU has sponsored close to thirty IS480 projects since its inception in 2006 and had generously recognized and rewarded excellent performance from IS480 teams and individuals that delivered exceptional results in their projects.
Got ideas? Talk to us about it!
Come to us if you want to explore project possibilities. A number of iLAB projects have been initiated by YOUR ideas, and then refined through interaction with SCB professionals.
Requirements for ALL iLab@SMU projects :
- Passion and Willingness to explore boundaries of innovations
- New tools, Development environment
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com http://ilab.smu.edu.sg
Drop an email to me to arrange a time with our staff to find out more about the Standard Chartered Bank @ iLab!
SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
Alexandra Health, together with the School of Information Systems (SIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) have established a partnership since May 2010 to work together to demonstrate fresh and better ways to serve and satisfy patients whenever they are interacting with the Alexandra Health system. Through this partnership, a joint mechanism known as the "T-Lab" has been established that enables students, staff and faculty of SMU's School of Information Systems (SIS) to team with professionals from Alexandra Health to work on a continuing series of projects to improve service delivery, quality, productivity and experience.
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Knowledge Management System
To build user-friendly and efficient mechanism to enable:
- the repository and retrieval of the organization's staff advisory ("How to" instructions) documents
- fast, natural and Web 2.0 browser-like front-end interface for users to search for required documents.
Patient Satisfaction Management Dashboard
An management information system to help departmental heads to make sense of the data captured during the patient satisfaction survey.
We expect the use of dynamic and interactive visual representations of the information via a rich internet and user-centric application.
Significant volume of data is ready for any interested team to tackle and analyse!
For both projects, more details will be supplied by the project sponsor to any interested teams.
Distributed Form Processing using Image Snippets
This is a distributed data entry based on the scanned image of a physical document. It will make use of technology and networks to accomplish a simple data entry task in a distributed, cost effective way. After a physical document is scanned into a image compression form, the various parts of the scanned image are cropped into image snippets. These image snippets will then be sent to our various offshore offices for data entry. Once data entry has been completed by offshore offices, the data will be sent back to the primary office and consolidated to have complete data for the scanned document. For example, suppose we want to capture the Name , Age, IC number from a handwritten form. Following will be the typical flow:
1. Scan the form in Singapore and assign a Unique Identifier to the scanned image at main site
2. Crop the various parts of scanned images such as Name, Age, IC and assign a sub identifier.
3. Send these cropped images over the network to offsite which could be anywhere
4. Provide a simple application where user can enter the data based on cropped image displayed on screen
5. Generate a file with Data & sub-identifier and send back to main site
6. Consolidate data from sub-sites and tie back to unique identifier at main site.
The following are expected: 1) discuss with us to understand/clarify the requirements and processing needs. 2) propose a solution with POC/prototype based on
* java and swing * java imaging * MS-SQL
Contact through: Kevin Steppe (email@example.com)