IS480 Team wiki: 2010T2 Paradigm Shift
- 1 Welcome to Paradigm Shift
- 2 Progress Summary
- 3 Project Management
- 4 Gecko English Teacher (Details)
- 5 Final Presentation
- 6 Others
Welcome to Paradigm Shift
Paradigm Shift is a team of 5 passionate SIS undergraduates who possess different expertise.
This project, Gecko English Teacher, is an educational system which aims to increase the literacy of English among foreign workers.
The team wishes to build an interactive and engaging system for these foreign workers with the help of the basic technology, Internet.
Member Roles & Responsibilities
|Project Manager / Client Advocate||Mohamed Asheeq S/o Mohamed Rafiefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lead System Developer||Diwanand Davaremail@example.com|
|Project Administrator||Soh Fang Yifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Database Analyst||Nur Muhammad Rifqi Bin Rohaizatemail@example.com|
|System Developer / Asst. Designer||Mohamed Ali Jinnah S/o Abdul Azizfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Short Street Tamil Methodist Church
Indian Muslim Social Service Association
Current Progress (As of 17 March)
Complete the project.
FINAL PRESENTATION @ 7.30pm SIS SR 2.3 We are LIVE: http://188.8.131.52/Gecko/login.aspx
Gecko English Teacher (Details)
To develop a web based system to facilitate the learning and comprehension of English.
Gecko English Teacher is a web-based educational system. Its target group is foreign workers who lack basic English Language skills. This system will facilitate the foreign workers’ learning of the English language through reading, speaking and writing (in the form of typing) to various proficiency levels.
The project will be developed from 31st October 2010 to 17th March 2011.
The system will be developed in a C# environment, using Visual Studios 2008, with SQL Server as the backend database. Subversion will be used to maintain and consolidate work done by the team. It will be tested and run on our own machines under a Windows 7 operating system before deployment on a server.
- It's free
- User-generated content
- No requirement to download any software
- It's interactive
- All-in-one system comprising of conversational, grammar and vocabulary skills
- Currently, the only English educational system cater for foreign workers from India
- All the users using this system have very limited knowledge of the English language
- They are however, well-versed in Tamil
- Application will be deployed and used in tuition centers to generate sufficient user content.
It will then be further deployed to developing countries with adults that speak fluent Tamil and very little English.
- Hands-on testing by users (foreign workers, teachers, tutors)
- Test on:
- Words accuracy
- “Level of fun” (so that users are interested)
Click HERE for more details on our FINAL PRESENTATION.
- Speech to Text Recognition
- Text to Speech
- Text Association
- Progress Chart
- Generate PDF
- Learning Dashboard
- View/Monitor Student’s Progress
- Upload Resource Content
- Plan for the unexpected, plan for the worst case scenario
- Challenged and tested our boundaries
- Double edged sword working with friends
- Don’t limit your resources
- Microsoft does not always have the best solution for the problem/issue
Resources and Reference