IS480 Team wiki: 2008T1G3 Barcoders/libraries
QR Code Libraries
1. Open Source QR Code Library (also suggested by SMU) URL: http://qrcode.sourceforge.jp/ Language: Java License: Open Source (GPL)
- Supports decoder for Java (J2SE, J2ME MIDP2.0/CLDC1.0)
- Supports error correction by Reed-Solomon code and BCH code
- Pre-process Camera-captured image for better performance
o filtering image noise o recognize angle of image automatically
- Provides some sample applications
o CUI o GUI o MIDlet (for cellphones which support Java) o Real time QR Code reader by Java Media Framework(JMF) and PC camera
Notes: - Emphasis seems to be on decoding rather than encoding - Developed primarily for mobile devices - Platform-independent because it is developed in Java
2. Open Source QRCode Library (suggested by SMU) URL: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/qrcode.aspx Language: C# License: Open Source (CPOL)
Developer's Description: QRCode library provides functions to:
1. Encode content into a QR Code image which can be saved in JPEG, GIF, PNG, or Bitmap formats 2. Decode a QR Code image
Using the Code
The library can be used in any .NET 2.0 Windows Application, ASP.NET Web application or Windows Mobile device application.
Notes: - Open Source - Appears easy to use - .NET is also easy to learn and use - May restrict platform of final system since .NET is best supported under Windows / IIS
3. libqrencode URL: http://megaui.net/fukuchi/works/qrencode/index.en.html Language: C License: Open Source (GPL) Developer's Description: Libqrencode is a C library for encoding data in a QR Code symbol, a kind of 2D symbology that can be scanned by handy terminals such as a mobile phone with CCD. The capacity of QR Code is up to 7000 digits or 4000 characters, and is highly robust.
This library is characterized by:
* Does not require any additional files at run time. * Fast symbol encoding. * Automatic optimization of input data.
Notes: - Easy to install and use on Unix systems, but no native support for Windows - C is a compiled language rather than scripted - May be a steep learning curve for those unfamiliar with C
4. QRcode Perl CGI & PHP script ver.0.50g URL: http://www.swetake.com/qr/qr_cgi_e.html Language: Perl, PHP Lincense: Unknown; claims to be "Free"
Developer's Description: This is a free software to output a image of QRcode on Perl or PHP. These programs support QRcode model2 version1-40,and some functions are NOT supported. (eg. mode change,KANJI mode etc.)
Notes: - Uses scripting languages that we are already familiar with - Cross-platform compatible and should require little modification to use - Poorly supported beta version with no updates since 2005
QRCode / Data Matrix Library
1. Zint Barcode Generator URL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/zint Language: C License: Open Source (GPL)
Developer's Description: A barcode encoding library supporting over 30 symbologies including Code 128, Data Matrix, USPS OneCode, Telepen, UPC/EAN, ITF, Codabar, Code 39, Code 16k, PDF417, MicroPDF417, LOGMARS, Maxicode, GS1 DataBar, Composite Symbols and many more.
Notes: - Appears to be up-to-date and reasonably well-suported - Listed as a stable release - Restricted to Unix-based operating systems - Only library I found that supports both Data Matrix and QRCode