Very Good Trippiece
In a nutshell, Trippiece can be summarised with two simple points:
- Social Travel Planning Platform
- It's a platform that allows users to share their travel plan and plan their trips with like-minded people
- User Oriented Tours
- What's special are that the travel tours found on Trippiece focuses more on traveler's initiatives, rather than the kind of tours that agencies would want to sell
They have beliefs on two important aspects
- Tour Agencies are Unaware of Market Demands
- They believe that tour agencies are usually unaware of what their customers want due to the varied demands and interesting. As such, there's a lake of service or product that allows people to visit various new places or find new activities with people that have similar interests.
- Connect People with SAME INTEREST through Travel Trips
- To trippiece, despite having 7 billion people with different personalities in the world, there are still people with similar hobbies and interests. As long as such similar hobbies and interest exist, Trippiece wants to connect people through these travel trips.
- They want to create small little worlds with new found friendships through the love for the same hobbies and interests.
While we have not had the chance to meet with the CEO/Founder of Trippiece, we managed to conduct a little research on him, Ian Ishida.
Ian Ishida's details would be broken down into 3 pointers:
- Ian's Career History
- What Got Ian Started with Trippiece?
- Ian's Words of Wisdom
There are various reasons but here are the top 2 core ones that triggered us to select TRIPPIECE to learn more from:
- Competitive Industry
- FIrstly, we are very amazed by Trippiece's stunning results of garnering 50,000 users despite huge competition from various travel related websites from abroad and locally (e.g. Gogobot)
- Expansion Plans to Singapore!
- In addition, Trippiece had also set up their company in Singapore at Purvis Street, as part of their overseas expansion plan! We would certainly want to hear more on "Why Singapore" and their plans!
Trippiece has one of the most interesting business model (at least to us).
In a nutshell, when a trip has more than 5 participants, Trippiece would help to link their partnering tour agencies to these participants. Trippiece would then, take a small 10% commission cut from the transaction made between the participants and tour agency. The more users they recruit, the more travel itinerary they would have, the more opportunities they have to earn a 10% commission from tour agencies - it's amazing!
One of their biggest competitors with such similar models, as mentioned by various websites is none other than Gogobot. Their difference is summarised in the table below:
As a whole, Trippiece did an amazing job on the entire concept of a Social Travel Planning. It's really hard to pinpoint any flaws in the system, much less offer recommendations. However, here are some that we felt they could consider in their pipeline.
They are broken down into two segments:
- Increasing Exposure & User Base
- Some New Features!
- Global Exposure
- It's great to hear that Trippiece had taken international expansion into consideration by setting up their first overseas company in Singapore. To begin, Trippiece can look at establishing their presence in a country per region, for example Italy, for the European Region.
- Consider a Wider Content Database
- Currently, Trippiece contents are geared towards Japan with very little content from other countries. To attract more users from different countries, Trippiece may want to consider a wider content database to include recommendations on activities or location from more countries.
- Tap into More Handheld Device Market!
- Today, everyone is armed with a smart phone. By having their application readily avaqilable on both Android and iOS devices from various countries would definitely increase their exposure and user base of Trippiece!
- Consider A More Advanced Search Function
- Current search only allow users to search on countries. We would increase customer's experience by allowing them to narrow their searches. For example, allowing them to search users, or duration of travel.
- Allow users to restrict participants
- Even though Trippiece's focus is to connect people/strangers, Trippiece could try a different model. Current model allows anyoneto join in to a trip they are interested in. However, there are some people that may want to plan a trip with their close circles of friends, instead of anyone/strangers. As such, it would be great if Trippiece could provide such an option for them to choose if they want to set the Trip to PRIVATE TRIP where only their close group of friends can participate in. This may backfire, just a consideration to include in their pipeline.
- Recommendations for Ideal Travel Locations
- The current model requires users to know where or what they wish to explore or do. This may be hard for users to know what are possible places they could visit in that country. As such it would be great if Trippiece could implement a feature that shows different recommendations based on users' preferences (i.e. similar to what Gogobot is providing, which we feel is quite useful and good)
All in all, we're really looking forward to visiting Trippiece, to further understand the amazing concept of Social Travel Planning! We would certainly want to hear their plans to expand in Singapore and hopefully take a away a piece or two cool ideas on our technopreneur's journey!
Do let us know if you would us to raise any questions to Ian and Team. We'll try our best! :)