Projects/2013-2014 Term 2
- 1 Workflow, Collaboration & Project Management Solution for IIE operations - SMU IIE
- 2 Automated Scheduling System - The Learning Connection Pte Ltd
- 3 IS480 matching system II - IS480 Fiona/Benjamin
- 4 FACT Calendar - FACT Singapore
- 5 Smart Phone based product identification application - SIMTech
- 6 SMU-TCS iCity Lab
- 7 Chung Suk Co/Grundfos.com - M-web/App for EasyPump E-Commerce Platform
- 8 Avocent/Emerson - Emerson Data Center Asset and Inventory Management
- 9 Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
- 10 SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
- 11 Advanced Digital Science Center - VideoBooth
- 12 Advanced Digital Science Center - Touching Frame
Workflow, Collaboration & Project Management Solution for IIE operations - SMU IIE
Project Objective Over the past 3.5 years IIE has established an internal workflow and process for managing the incubation of startups, currently this process is manual in nature. IIE is now looking to digitize this manual workflow and process, the objectives of this activity are
- Improve consistency and continuity of our operations
- Increase collaboration within the team, mentors, and incubate companies
- Improve our ability to track internal as well as incubate company projects through milestones and tasks
- Institute a MIS reporting process enabling easy access to reports both for internal tracking and decision making as well as for reporting to Funding partners.
Project 1: Promotions Managing Events that IIE undertakes – key elements of this process include
- Multiple event types
- Database management
- Registered Participants
- Attending Participants
- E-mail marketing database
- Calendar of Events
- Project Planning for Events
- Management of Documents related to the event
- PowerPoint presentations
- Videos etc.,
- Feedback management
Project 2: Competitions Managing the different competitions that IIE undertakes
- Multiple Competition types
- Database Management
- Participant Database
- Submission Process & Database
- Judges Data base
- Competition management
- Setting Judging parameters
- Scores management
- Results Dashboard
- Calendar of Competitions
- Project Management for Competitions
- Management of Documents for each competition
Project 3: Sandbox & Incubation Managing the internal workflow at IIE – this will involve the following major activities
- Submission of Project Proposals
- Submissions for Grants and Funding
- Joining the Incubation process
- Assigning of Mentors to each project
- Setting Milestones and tracking the progress of the project
- Demo Day Presentations
- Exiting the Incubation process
Each of the above steps will include multiple activities that will need the creation of
- Workspaces / Project Space
- Document Management
- Team collaboration
- Milestone and task management
In addition it should be possible for us to generate reports at a consolidated level as well as at the project level.
Solution Alternatives IIE is open to the following alternatives in developing the solution
- Combination of SharePoint, MS Projects with workflow and some collaboration functionality (Yammer) built in. Database software can be MySQL
- Use of existing OpenSource solutions like
- CYN.IN (www.cynapse.com – check for community edition)
- Team Lab (www.teamlab.com/opensource.aspx)
- Project Open (www.project-open.org)
- Tree.io (www.tree.io/en)
- Project Pier (www.projectpier.org)
- Ground up build using PHP, MySQL and HTML
The above listings are being provided to share the broad functionality that the solution will need to deliver.
WIIFY – What’s In It For You The teams will own the IP for the software developed by them.
Sponsor Contact Information Krishna Kumar NALLUR <email@example.com>
From Course Coordinator Each project could be assign to a team or group together depending on tools used or build from scratch. Please clarify the IP with IIE.
Automated Scheduling System - The Learning Connection Pte Ltd
About TLC The Learning Connections (TLC) is an arts-integrated learning organization dedicated to bringing young people together for multi-arts experiences involving creative exploration, group learning and inspiration for the imagination. Its aim is to bring arts to the lives of young people and to provide quality, authentic arts education programs in English and Chinese to preschool children to help develop children’s full potential. TLC also creates edutainment shows for young people that are performed by local and foreign stage talents. Our shows for preschool children are engaging, fun, interactive, and educational that focus on social emotional messages and also celebrates positive values. Being a company with a strong social mission, TLC started a community project in 2011 called Connecting Hearts Through Arts to reach out and touch the lives of more children, in particular, those from less privileged backgrounds. Our aim is to transform the lives of children with special needs and financially disadvantaged children in Singapore by giving them the opportunity to appreciate, experience and embrace the arts.
Project Brief Every week, the staff of TLC are deployed to various pre-school centres or kindergarten. This schedule is currently being done manually, and printed information normally includes the centre name, class level, time, lesson number and the allocated trainer. However, this consumes a lot of time and energy. TLC is looking to create an automated scheduling system that can not only create this schedule, but in doing so take into account public holidays, suspension of lessons due to special circumstances, leaves taken by trainers, familiarity of a trainer with a particular centre and replacement lessons. This programme should be accessible online, but secure and only accessible by selected staff of TLC.
- The web application is intended for up to 50 users
- It should run on popular CMS - (in order of preference) Joomla, WordPress or Drupal
- The web application would be hosted from TLC's Synology NAS DS213+ running on DSM 4.2 (more info from www.synology.com)
- PHP version supported:- 5.3.15 (register_globals off, display_error off, php_cache on, safe_mode_exec_dir on)
- MySQL version supported:- 5.1.49
- Apache version supported:- 2.2.22 (Unix)
- FTP account would be provided for
Sponsor Contact Information Van Su Yun <firstname.lastname@example.org> Elaine <email@example.com> Juliet Chia <firstname.lastname@example.org> Teng Wei Chun email@example.com (Tech guy)
From Course Coordinator Team must gather and propose requirements to define suitable scope for IS480 in the proposal. The sponsor have no IT background and your team must come up with an X factor.
IS480 matching system II - IS480 Fiona/Benjamin
Most of the scope will be extending the work done by the previous team.
- Single Sign On
- Crawling wiki and setting up database
- Workflow of the IS480 project
- Register (CRUD) sponsors, students, teams, supervisors, projects, etc.
- Generating a match
- Approving projects, confirming matching projects, etc.
- Matching algorithms
- From projects to teams
- From supervisors to projects
- Which projects/sponsor are popular to teams?
- How are teams formed?
FACT Calendar - FACT Singapore
The app (iOS and Android) we are looking at is similar to "Desi Calendar", available on the Apple App Store :
- Phase 1 : we will set up the important dates and info on these dates, to be downloaded with the app. Design should be capable to handle multiple countries and multiple types of calendars.
- Phase 2 : option to choose which type of calendar the user wants to make active.
- Phase 3 : option for user to add own type of calendar and populate it. All user entered data to be stored on the device.
- Phase 4 : option to create and store email addresses (on device) and link them with the various events and set up auto emails to addressees.
- Phase 5 : interface with our ERP Software if an event has happened already and avoid sending reminder.
Sponsor Contact Information Rashid Sohaib - FACT Singapore <firstname.lastname@example.org> Arvind Agarwalla <email@example.com>
Smart Phone based product identification application - SIMTech
This program is to design and develop a product identification application. The system is running as an app in smart phone. A RFID reader connects the smart phone through blue tooth and it can read the RFID tag on a product to get the product identity. The user can view product information and photos in the smartphone. The student will be trained and involved in the smart phone app, RFID and database design and development. In the end of project, the application should be able to deployed and run in the smart phone.
Interests in smart phone application; Experience in programming would be an advantage.
Sponsor Contact Information Supervisor in SMU: Prof.Li Yingjiu <firstname.lastname@example.org> Supervisor in SIMTech: He Wei <email@example.com>
From Course Coordinator Team must gather and propose requirements to define suitable scope for IS480 in the proposal.
SMU-TCS iCity Lab
Request for Students Participation
We need IS480 students to help us create mobile and web applications that will be integral to what we are doing in SMU-TCS iCity Lab. We want them to help create the following 2 mobile applications. One is called “online survey questionnaire application” which from now will be referred to as OSQA and the other is “activity tracker application” and from now will be referred to as ATA.
Online Survey Questionnaire Application OSQA
The first application will be an online survey questionnaire application. This application will help the lab in gathering relevant data information from the field and from there the lab can create the appropriate prototypes.
These are the requirements for the online survey questionnaire application:
- It can be accessed via desktop, laptop or thru mobile platforms; as such it should have cross-platform compatible.
- It can either be created as a native application in those platforms or can be created as a web application.
- The user interface should be appealing since we are dealing with different kinds of people across different demographics.
- It should be dynamic and configurable that anyone can create a set of questions without changing the underlying code base.
- It should save the data gathered from this application to a database.
- It can be configured to accept any type of questions. Since these data must be saved in the database then there should be a mechanic in automating this process.
- It should provide statistically reports and charts to iCity Lab.
Activity Tracker Application ATA
The second application will be an activity tracker application. This application will monitor, track, and log daily activities of a person. For example, gather total time of a person to travel from point A to point B. Another example, gather how many minutes per day a person does exercise activity. This application is integral since we are currently prototyping a health system for chronic disease management.
These are the requirements for the activity tracker application:
- It can be accessed via mobile platforms, the most common today will be Android/iOS and possible Windows in the future.
- It can add various timers for different kinds of activities. For example, Timer 1 tracks travelling time, Timer 2 tracks exercise time, etc.
- It should synchronize with the server either immediately or delayed.
- It should be user-friendly so that users will not have hard time using the application.
- It should have a monitoring capability so that users can track their progress.
- It should provide statistically reports and charts to iCity Lab.
Technically requirements for these two projects:
- Knowledge in web design and programming especially HTML5, CSS, and JQuery.
- Knowledge in mobile development especially Android and/or iOS.
- Knowledge in database design especially using PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge in Java is required.
- Knowledge in creating charts and statistics using D3 and R.
Sponsor SMU-TCS iCity Lab Contact:
Chung Suk Co/Grundfos.com - M-web/App for EasyPump E-Commerce Platform
About EasyPump EasyPumpShop is owned and operated by Chung Suk Co., Ltd Singapore Branch. The eCommerce operation started in Jan 2012. The site currently serves these five markets – Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Why EasyPump This project will allow to gain regional exposure and valuable learning in E-Commerce. Project team will also receive certificate from the management to recognize their contributions. Special award will be given for outstanding delivery of this project.
Your Challenge Come out with crazy and fun ideas to boost traffic and sales conversion/order on EasyPumpShop. Students are encouraged to use latest technology tools or create applications to facilitate purchase decision making and streamline checkout process. The key features include product categorization, community engagement, special promotions and shopping cart management . Students should design and recommend solutions by researching and identifying opportunities for the current business processes and apply their knowledge in E-Commerce.
- Research report (current site audit and recommendations)
- Actual scope will be confirmed after discussion with project team based on selection of objectives
- Final presentation
- Working prototype (can be deployed)
- Source code
- Spec files
For more information
- Martin Li <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Avocent/Emerson - Emerson Data Center Asset and Inventory Management
Eligible for Avocent award
Introduction Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson (NYSE:EMR), is the global leader in enabling Business-Critical Continuity™ from grid to chip for telecommunication networks, data centers, health care and industrial facilities.
Emerson Network Power provides innovative solutions and expertise in areas including AC and DC power and precision cooling systems, embedded computing and power, integrated racks and enclosures, power switching and controls, infrastructure management, and connectivity. All solutions are supported globally by local Emerson Network Power service technicians. Aperture and Avocent solutions from Emerson Network Power simplify data center infrastructure management by maximizing computing capacity and lowering costs while enabling the data center to operate at peak performance.
Some of the world’s leading brands – such as Microsoft Corp., Intel, HP, Dell, IBM, Time Warner, Verizon, General Electric, Exxon Mobil, Disney, FedEx and Home Depot – depend on Avocent technology to help them simply manage mission critical physical resources, in the data center, remote branch location, and at end point devices.
Project Description In a Data Center, there are lots of assets comprise of servers, rack PDUs, storage equipments etc. If there isn't any asset management, database or even asset tracking solution in place, the Data Center will be in a mess in no time. We will like to have the ability to take a holistic look at the entire physical data center environment and to not only understand what is happening in real time but also make intelligent decisions about future changes and investments. See Illustration below:
The data center is IT’s most valuable (and expensive) asset, and you are responsible for the day-to-day operation. The demand for your services has grown steadily and so has the complexity of your job. Many professionals in your position have developed a range of ad hoc tools and techniques to manage the physical infrastructure. Unfortunately, all too often these tools are neither comprehensive nor integrated, failing to provide the real-world information needed to accurately plan and execute change.
Objective Students to understand and integrate open Data Base (postgresql) from Emerson Data Center Planner Software with 3rd party vendors database.
Students / Project Group will be provided the following:
- Emerson Data Center Planner Software with Data Base hosted in Virtual Machine
- 3rd Party Vendor Software & Data Base hosted in Virtual Machine
- Physical Rack, Server, Power will be provided
- 3rd Party peripherals / hardware will be provided
- Software for all licenses will be provided
- Assets / equipments which are going into or remove from the racks will need to be tracked
- 3rd party vendor "Tracking system" hardware is setup within the rack and leveraging the setup to retrieve information and status of the equipments
- Status of equipments will then update the Database (DB) of Emerson Data Center Planner software automatically, likewise on 3rd Party vendor database (DB)
- Changes to the Data Center Planner Software / DB will also reflect the changes to the equipment(s) data base
- What will be the man-hour for providing this Data Base integration
- Propose SWOT analysis for the project
Additional work beyond scope
- Update team on bi-weekly on project timeline
- Program must have limitless scalability
Requirements and Considerations Students’ background should incorporate minimum on the following fields:
- Programming Skills (SOAP, HTTP-based API interface, XML)
- Ability to understand Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Ability to understand Application Programming Interface (API)
Students will be advise on what is the 3rd party vendor software or Data Base to be integrated during discussion and need to sign a letter of non-disclosure agreement (NDA) form prior commencing on the project.
Contact Alvin.Cheang@Emerson.com <Alvin.Cheang@Emerson.com> Data Centre Solution Architect, Enterprise Solution Group - Asia, Emerson Network Power
Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
iLab@SMU is a collaborative partnership setup in 2006 by Standard Chartered Bank and SMU to create a hotbed for business, technology and financial innovations that will be rolled out across the Bank's network in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, while delivering on the Bank's commitment and belief in talent development. The collaboration creates opportunities for students to experience the corporate environment as they work on projects to solve real-life business problems with the Bank.
iLab@SMU has sponsored close to fifty IS480 projects since its inception in 2006 and had generously recognized and rewarded excellent performance from IS480 teams and individuals that delivered exceptional results in their projects.
Got ideas? Talk to us about it!
Come to us if you want to explore project possibilities. A number of iLAB projects have been initiated by YOUR ideas, and then refined through interaction with SCB professionals.
Requirements for ALL iLab@SMU projects :
- Passion and Willingness to explore boundaries of innovations
- New tools, Development environment
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Drop an email to me to arrange a time with our staff to find out more about the Standard Chartered Bank @ iLab!
From Course Coordinator Please inform the course coordinator before confirming any projects with iLab.
SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
Alexandra Health, together with the School of Information Systems (SIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) have established a partnership since May 2010 to work together to demonstrate fresh and better ways to serve and satisfy patients whenever they are interacting with the Alexandra Health system. Through this partnership, a joint mechanism known as the "T-Lab" has been established that enables students, staff and faculty of SMU's School of Information Systems (SIS) to team with professionals from Alexandra Health to work on a continuing series of projects to improve service delivery, quality, productivity and experience.
Come and talk to us if you are interested in working on a project aimed at adding value to the delivery of healthcare services.
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - email@example.com
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
From Course Coordinator Please inform the course coordinator before confirming any projects with Alexandra Hospital.
Advanced Digital Science Center - VideoBooth
We invite a team of motivated students with good programming skills and also interest in user experience design to join our project VideoBooth. Under the hood of VideoBooth, we developed two technologies within ADSC, which allow performing video foreground cutout and stylization in real-time for VGA-sized videos on Windows, Mac OS, and iOS platforms. Among them, the video foreground cutout technology offers a variety of features allowing the average user to manipulate the background of their video with minimal setup requirements, such as a laptop, webcam and public Internet. The system removes the background in the user's camera feed and replaces it with another background, such as photos, slides or another video feed. The video stylization technology supports generating a variety of useful and pleasing visual effects and allows easy use in video chat or sharing via social networking services (SNS).
These video effects include, for instance, skin beautification, cartoon-like rendition, object outline, pencil sketch, and color stroke. More info about our award-winning technology can be found at:
You will be focusing mainly on developing new features and creating better user interfaces for a range of our software and mobile apps we have developed, some of which are also available for download from the Apple App Store.
The Advanced Digital Sciences Center (ADSC) is a center for research and innovation affiliated with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. ADSC's vision is to transform the way people and organizations use and interact with information technologies and contribute to the advance of the knowledge-based economy in Singapore and beyond. The contact person at ADSC is Dr. Jiangbo Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Jeremy Heng at email@example.com. Interested students may also direct your queries to Prof. Hady LAUW at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advanced Digital Science Center - Touching Frame
We invite a team of motivated students to join our project. We would love to see students that have strong interests in user interface design or APP promotion and marketing.
Touching Frame is a combination of technology on mobile that serves as an easy portal for users to interact with image/video and generate various interesting effects. For instance, user could re-colorize,highlight,segment out,create depth of field within a certain region on a natural image(e.g eyes,hair,object..); user could turn a short clip of video taken by smartphone into a GIF image that juxtapose still parts and moving parts; user could also select a certain region of the photo(e.g trees, water, cloud..) and make it alive. In the meantime, we are developing a series of mobile APPs based on Touching Frame technology as well as integration with a social network APP---Chapter. Chapter is a private journal sharing app, which is developed by our spin-off company from ADSC. We have a plan to launch a campaign in the around future for intensive marketing, hence we are seeking talents in helping us with public relationships on Facebook,Twitter.
More information of Touching Frame and Chapter could be found:
There are two things you can expect from this project. The first thing is to learn and apply user interface and user experience design in our new APPs and features, and we prefer ones who have experience in art design before. Another branch is to learn and apply how to promote an APP as well as maintain public relationships on Facebook and Twitter.
The Advanced Digital Sciences Center (ADSC) is a center for research and innovation affiliated with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. ADSC's vision is to transform the way people and organizations use and interact with information technologies and contribute to the advance of the knowledge-based economy in Singapore and beyond. The contact person at ADSC is Mr. Peter Niu at email@example.com or Mr. Jeremy Heng at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested students may also direct your queries to Prof. Hady LAUW at email@example.com.