Projects/2013-2014 Term 2
- 1 Xerox India - Mobile CrowdTasking Platform
- 2 SkyMap - BI analytic for insurance companies
- 3 KMP Far East Pte Ltd - Automate workflow system
- 4 Flauntpage - Resume System
- 5 SMU Princep Hostel - Prinsep Integrated Portal
- 6 idsMED - Project SPARKS Tracking System
- 7 Geylang West Bridge Club - Smartphone Application for Duplicate Bridge Scoring System
- 8 CapitalMalls Asia - Tracking of moving objects using multi-camera views
- 9 Green Transformation Lab SMU & DHL - Integrated Supply Chain and Carbon Modelling
- 10 Lien Centre for social innovation - Contact Management System
- 11 The SMU Shop - TSS mobile app
- 12 Envisage Education Pte Ltd - Managing Student Social Entrepreneurial Projects
- 13 Nielsen - Data Checking Dashboard, Mobile Maps and Geo-‐fencing for Retail Establishment Survey
- 14 SMU IIE - Workflow, Collaboration & Project Management Solution for IIE operations
- 15 The Learning Connection Pte Ltd - Automated Scheduling System
- 16 IS480 Fiona/Benjamin - IS480 matching system II
- 17 FACT Singapore - FACT Calendar
- 18 SIMTech - Smart Phone based product identification application
- 19 SMU-TCS iCity Lab - Online survey & activity tracker
- 20 Chung Suk Co/Grundfos.com - M-web/App for EasyPump E-Commerce Platform
- 21 Avocent/Emerson - Emerson Data Center Asset and Inventory Management
- 22 Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
- 23 SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
Xerox India - Mobile CrowdTasking Platform
Xerox Research is collaborating with SMU to research new techniques to implement large-scale mobile crowdtasking, a service where everyday participants are requested, in return for micro-payments, to help perform certain location-specific tasks that match well with their everyday lifestyle and activity patterns. Examples include paying a participant to report on the length of a queue in a food court that is only a 2 minute detour from the participant’s intended route, or incenting a participant to check on the price of a product at a store located very near the participant’s current location. The proposed project would build a client-server based crowdtasking platform, and would involve:
- On the client side, building a native Android application that allows mobile users to perform functionality such as check on or search the pool of available micro-tasks, receive notifications about suggested or recommended tasks, retrieve a specific task and perform that task.
- On the server side, a standard Web application that receives task-related requests from multiple mobile clients, and returns the set of recommended tasks after performing the necessary “matchmaking”. The Web application also stores the details of completed tasks by each individual participant, and provides an admin GUI to allow administrators to add, delete or modify the set of tasks and their associate spatiotemporal constraints.
To perform its functions, the crowdtasking platform will require inputs about both i) each participant’s current location and predicted movement trajectory and ii) matchmaking algorithms that rank tasks from the available set of tasks based on their appropriateness/relevance for each individual participant. Both of these technologies will be provided by SMU research groups (using technologies developed in the LiveLabs and LARC research centers), with the project team members being furnished appropriate libraries/Web services and the necessary APIs for interacting with these components. The project thus allows the participating team the opportunity understand and utilize innovative indoor location, trajectory prediction and decision optimization components being developed at SMU.
- Android programming for mobile clients
- Use of PHP, SQL, Python languages and associated Web technologies
- JSP programming and building Web applications
- Google Maps API usage and visualization
Sponsor Contact Information Client: Xerox Research, India Sponsor: Archan Misra, SMU Archan Misra Assoc. Professor, School of Information Systems email@example.com
SkyMap - BI analytic for insurance companies
SkyMap Global provides geospatial solutions for application in Defence & Intelligence, Engineering & Infrastructure, Insurance & Reinsurance, Water & Marine Resources and Agriculture & Land Resources. Some of the applications developed by SkyMap Global include water quality monitoring, insurance risk assessment, insurance catastrophe modelling and others.
Insurance companies struggle with analysis of large scale of geospatial information for risk assessment and catastrophe assessment specially in Property & Casualty Segment. Large scale natural catastrophes (floods, earthquakes, etc.) poses huge challenge for timely assessment of risk across insured properties.
To develop business analytics on geospatial platform for exploitation of visual/geospatial information. This will be applied to Insurance and Reinsurance sector. Biggest risk to Insurance and Reinsurance sector is location based events such as floods, earthquakes, etc. Such catastrophes affect their insurance premium, sum insured and portfolio risk. We are quite keen on developing business analytics for Insurance based on our geospatial platform. SkyMap and team will provide geospatial tools to exploit analytics and business intelligence from them. Aim is to equip insurers with risk analytics, catastrophe assessment and insurance fraud detection.
- Develop Business intelligence tools to exploit visual/geospatial information generated for catastrophe assessment and risk assessment.
- Develop Business analytics for Insurance risk assessment using historical/publically available catastrophe information. For example, historic floods assessment can be used to assess potential risk/damage from similar floods.
- Develop business analytics to do predictive analysis for catastrophe events. Such business analytics include development of simulation models to identify potential impact of catastrophe events.
- Develop User friendly system to analyse and visualise business analytics generated from geospatial information.
Sponsor Contact Information Hoo Kai Hwa KH HOO  Skymap Global +65 98778998
KMP Far East Pte Ltd - Automate workflow system
About KMP Far East Pte Ltd
KMP Far East is a top 1000 SME in Singapore, and manages the operations in Asia for KMP Group. A brand for after-market parts for heavy construction machinery, KMP was established in the United Kingdom and has been providing quality products and impeccable service to its distribution networks for over 30 years. With a closely-knit team of 25 in Asia, KMP Far East services Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam, and the Philippines. It is a company that prides itself on being able to provide a wide range of quality products for equipment manufacturers like Caterpillar, Komatsu, Cummins, and Detroit Diesel.
- KMP Far East is looking to modernise her current operations and give it that extra flexibility when competing with other players in the industry. Though the barriers to entry aren't the lowest, competition is strong in the industry as some companies have been around for a long time, thus also having built their reputations and financial prowess over the years. Thus, KMP has to adopt a new attitude - one that allows it to shift if need be, and thus also a system that is able to actively reflect this flexible strategy.
- Having outgrown her current legacy system, KMP Far East faces very real problems that a majority of more established SMEs face - manual processes to workaround the current system, business processes that haven't been updated, and a general inertia to move adopt new technologies. Of course, these changes always need to be analysed on a case-by-case basis.
- The end product that the company is targeting is a flexible, modular ERP system that can aid with the intricacies of our workflow. The system should be able to monitor and manage suppliers and their often erratic delivery schedules. It should build into itself processes that will improve the management of suppliers and their deliveries. Currently, there is a big lack in terms of a proper Quality Control process, and we hope that by integrating this process into the ERP system, we will be able to better monitor and track QC issues, thus also giving us a better platform with which to further improve our relationships with all stakeholders involved.
- KMP has a large inventory of 20000 products, of which some have already been phased out following the end of a vehicle's life cycle. However, even though a vehicle might have been phased out, it doesn't mean the parts can't be used on other models. Hence, we are currently facing a problem of keeping track of all the legacy product IDs over the years. We are badly in need of a proper system that can easily help us to archive and retrieve information on old and current products.
- From the sales perspective, we are looking to implement a CRM module (somewhat like a retail shopping cart, but with more specialised features) that will enable our clients to place their orders as and when they like. They are already doing this, although placing orders over the phone is a process that is disruptive and inefficient. We are looking towards implementing cycles for both purchasing and sales, and we need the system to manage all the different types of customers equally well.
- We are targeting for the system to be entirely mobile, thus running it off a cloud server (on-site or otherwise) would be ideal. The reason for this is that we have offices and warehouses in Singapore , Kuala Lumpur and Miri. All the offices should be linked in to the same system.
- Last but definitely not least, we need business development data, and the best way would be for the system to be able to churn out reports and analyses that are specific to our industry.
What The Team Can Accomplish
- Apart from tackling problems pertaining to the current IT infrastructure, the team will be able to work with a manager that understands their process and methods, having come through the same course at SMU.
- They will be able to study the business processes behind the brand's supply chain, its inventory management processes as well as its delivery processes - this will allow them to analyse the current processes in place and propose improvements.
- Although KMP Far East is looking to implement an ERP system, we are open to suggestions with regards to how much of this needs to be built from scratch. An option to pursue would be to look at some of the good open-source solutions already out there from which to build a base upon.
- Apart from the technical challenges, the team will also face real-world problems pertaining to the members of the organisation. Not every company has the resources of an MNC, and this brings with it a very unique set of issues that derive from cross-functional roles in a small organisation.
Sponsor Contact Information Irvin Tan Senior Executive, Business Development Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: +65 92992959
Flauntpage - Resume System
Refer to previous project One-hit Wonder
Telling a story that makes you standout is often the first step to landing your dream job. Flauntpage LLP is a startup formed to help every individual tell their stories and getting heard by the right people.
- Need to go beyond a conventional resume to stand out from the noise
- It’s important to customize your resume for each prospective employer and managing them is not easy
- Getting the world to start listening
- Create Infographic resume by aggregating available data online (LinkedIn, Facebook etc)
- Create Cover Homepage with Unique URL. It should have the following
- Brief Description
- Key Skills and Expertise
- Resume with a Downloadable Copy
- Document Parser to upload existing word resumes
- Manage different versions of resumes
- Keep track of who the resume has been sent to
- Get updated when company opens your resume
- Customizable Cover Homepage
- Create a Theming System. Think Wordpress but just for resumes and cover pages
- Customizable Cover Homepage
- Post Created/Updated resumes to Social Media
- Laravel Framework
- HTML 5, CSS3
Sponsor Contact Information Flauntpage Limited Liability Partnership, Kris Kong, email@example.com, 9001783, Kay Liao, firstname.lastname@example.org, Krisabelle Tee, email@example.com
SMU Princep Hostel - Prinsep Integrated Portal
About SMU Prinsep Hostel
SMU Prinsep Hostel was formed to help SMU’s international students bridge the gap of living abroad and integrating with the school’s community and lifestyle. It is currently home to about 250 international and exchange students as well as about 10 local students. The hostel and its residents are managed by the Hostel Management Team and a team of about 40 Resident Seniors.
The Prinsep Integrated Web Portal is a responsive platform that will have 2 core objectives:
- Facilitate day-to-today operations of the hostel
- Establish a social platform where residents and resident seniors can interact with each other, organize impromptu events and can be used as a platform for official communications with the residents
Project Requirements & Skill Sets
- Responsive Web Design
- Java-based web portal
- Social Media Integration
There will be 4 main modules to be built.
- Finance Module: This module will enable Resident Seniors to submit claims for purchasing items/equipment and will keep an archive of financial records. The Hostel Management Team will be able to review these claims and approve, whereby an email will be generated and sent to relevant parties for processing.
- Community Life Module: This module will be a social platform for residents to interact. It also serves as a front end to residents for official hostel communications. It would also have a calendar function and facility for residents to organize and join impromptu events. Resident would be able to share photos and comments with each other. A separate segment especially for Resident Seniors will facilitate them in events planning and serve as a knowledge repository for previous activities.
- Human Resource Module: This module will keep a complete database of Residents, Resident Seniors and their information. These information should be displayed and accessible intuitively. For e.g. built on a schematic of the hostel apartments. It should also allow Resident Seniors to keep a database of resident issues such as flouting of rules, breaking of equipment etc.
- This module should also allow resident seniors to receive their evaluation by residents and vice versa. At the same time, to allow for Resident senior Teams to conduct their peer reviews.
- Module should also be used for residents to apply to be considered for Resident Seniors. This should include applications which allow for submission of online application, which allows resident seniors to verify application as well as to have the Hostel management team to be able to have a database of the applications.
- Facilities Module
- This module will allow the Hostel Management Team keep stock of equipment in the hostel that are commonly loaned out, and track who has loaned what item.This module must also have a system in place for Duty Rostering of Resident Seniors
The guidelines on the functions are not set in stone and are open for consideration and review. Scope of project (Modules) can be discussed and reviewed. (i.e. project team may not need to compete all modules and only focus on 3) The project is not Proof-Of-Concept and deliverables will be hosted and managed internally by the hostel management team. Thus students can expect actual deployment of the software with real testers and users.
Sponsor Contact Information
idsMED - Project SPARKS Tracking System
idsMED is an Integrated Medical Solutions Provider of Equipment, Supplies & Services with operations in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Hong Kong. This year we undertook a strategic project to review our sales strategy and processes. We passionately call it as Project SPARKS (Systematic Process Analytics for Results & Knowledge-Based Selling) which will define our sales processes and activities.
As an extension of this project, we want to integrate the new SPARKS Process with TECHNOLOGY. This will be done by You. You will build a tool that would bring the process on system which entails the following three dimensions:
- Our Product & Field Specialists will use the tool to guide them in their activities and would fill in data / information about all the sales calls and projects they are working on.
- The Managers would use this data to plan and track the progress of different sales initiatives our Specialists are working on.
- The Top Management would use the data gathered to track the adoption of the new process and the progress that is being made.
Expected outcome A web-based tool that captures all the process steps and provides a smooth interface for Product and Field Specialists to use on the go. Besides:
- Tracking and measuring capability for Managers.
- Highly customizable reporting capability.
- Different security for admins, users, managers, etc.
- Potential integration with other in-house systems.
What is in it for you? Be a part of a transformational project and get exposure to the process of sales. We at idsMED love new ideas and embrace them and fortunately our size will allow your ideas to be implemented without much red-tape. You will work on this project from inception i.e., requirements gathering, scoping, planning, designing, testing, implementation and change management, giving you an all-round experience.
Sponsor Contact Information
AnbuSrinivasan@idsmed.com idsMED with Fung Group
Geylang West Bridge Club - Smartphone Application for Duplicate Bridge Scoring System
About Contract Bridge
Contract Bridge is one of the world’s most popular indoor games for the mind, and “Duplicate Bridge” is its most fascinating and challenging configuration. Currently available devices for the on-line management and scoring of duplicate games are rather primitive and have less-than-optimum user interfaces. The mobile application to be written will provide an updated and streamlined version of the “Bridgemate” handsets.
A typical Duplicate Bridge game configuration would include four to twenty mobile devices (smart phones or tablets) communicating with a single PC containing the scoring program and managing the player database, game configurations and combined results. The scoring program does the scheduling of players and board movements, records scores and computes results.
The user interface on the smart phone is expected to be more appealing than that of currently available device (Bridgemate).
The mobile application to develop on a smart phone should replace or communicate with the existing scoring program and interface with the players at each table for sending and receiving information, showing results and doing analytics.
The scoring program includes the following functions
- SCORING: The actual calculation of results is a two-step process. Step 1 is (say) the score of Board 1 played at Table 1 (how well did N-S do against E-W). Step 2 is a comparison of how well ALL the N-S players who played Board 1 did against each other. This is the "duplicate" of duplicate bridge. The determination of the Step 1 score is based on the Contract (the final result of the bidding, or "auction"), whether the contract has been doubled or re-doubled, the vulnerability of the pairs, and the number of tricks won by the declarer. (Bridge terms in italics,) Step 2 is a computation of how many players a particular pair did better than when playing the exact same cards. That number, known as match points, ranges from zero (everybody did better than we did with those cards) to 12 in the attached example. (There were 7 tables, so 14 players played those cards, so 12 other players played those cards, and we did better than all of them.)
- PLAYER DATABASE: Some of the scoring programs provide comprehensive membership management facilities. However, the minimum to run a duplicate game -- and provide the results to the participants -- would be: PLAYER NAME, PLAYER NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS.
- MOVEMENT LIBRARY: Most scoring programs include a comprehensive library of standard movements as well as a movement composer so users can develop their own favorite configurations or edit the standard ones. This would be essential.
- TRANSACTIONS AND RESULTS: Please get a sample from the contact. Some programs offer the ability to display intermediate results -- say the standing of players at the half-way point in a competition.
Sponsor Contact Information
Carlton Parker and Ian Oliver, Geylang West Bridge Club, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 85096935 (Carl), 94378715 (Ian)
From course coordinator. This project would go better if one team member understands how to play bridge.
- This option is to replace the Bridgemate. Keep the existing scoring program but propose additional modules, such as keeping track of time for each game, board, etc. You may propose other features, such as a member card with QR code for scanning when sitting on a table, managing photos of winning teams, analytics of the games, etc.
- This option will replace bot the Bridgemate and the existing scoring program. Your scope is to replace a subset of the complicated scoring program.
You may want to investigate the existing communication between Bridgemate and the scoring program before deciding. They both use a MS Access database.
CapitalMalls Asia - Tracking of moving objects using multi-camera views
CapitaMalls Asia Limited is one of the largest listed shopping mall developers, owners and managers in Asia by total property value of assets and geographic reach
CMA buildings are implemented with IP cameras. The online views & videos generated by these IP Cameras can be used as a process of information extraction for various analyses.
- This project require a method for tracking objects in a network of views equipped with multiple IP Cameras
- It’s proven in a single camera mode to identify an object, classify the object and follow it across the video sequence.
- Leveraging on the single camera approach, this project require associating the identified object in a single camera across multiple cameras and generate a tracking map on the object movement.
- There are different object tracking methodologies available in the market eg., silhouette tracking, point tracking, kernel tracking which requires a review.
- This phase of the project is focused on Vehicle movement in Car Parks.
- Teams are welcome to explore and propose suitable software and hardware to achieve this project requirement
- Teams are welcome to leverage other available sensors like car sensor in car park lots, IU reader etc., for accurate object identification and tracking
Sponsor Contact Information
Edwin Poh, Head, BP & IT, CMA Email : email@example.com
Vijay Amirthraj. J, Snr Manager, BP & IT, CMA Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Transformation Lab SMU & DHL - Integrated Supply Chain and Carbon Modelling
Project sponsor is the Green Transformation Lab, a joint initiative by SMU and DHL aimed at accelerating the evolution of sustainable logistics with innovative solutions across Asia Pacific
The proposed project, Integrated Supply Chain and Carbon Modeling tool, is a platform that would hopefully address the existing gap. The core part of the tool is a supply chain modeling engine that allows users to provide data on suppliers, manufacturing plants, distribution centres, customers demand, transportation lanes and modes. More distinctively, the data associated with carbon footprint will also be captured across different key points in the supply chain. Users can then create multiple alternative scenarios by varying the network design to see the cost, service and carbon performance over a defined period, and thus able to make informed decisions balancing business and sustainability concerns.
The objective of this IS480 project is therefore to develop the core engine and the associated visual analytic interface for the above tool, based on a given set of business requirements.
- Provide an interface for users to input key supply chain parameters
- The input mechanism should be via a map/text interface, and should
essentially capture the key features of the end-to-end supply chain
- Users should be able to specify parameters associated with:- Suppliers, Manufacturing, Distribution, Lanes, Customers
- Provide computation and insightful visual output of the following key metrics, on a map interface
- Provide a means for users to do what-if analysis, recalculating the key metrics above with alternative scenarios such as
Please refer to details for more
Sponsor Contact Information
TAN Kar Way <email@example.com>
About Lien Centre
Our mission is to inspire ideas and innovations, foster new alliances and facilitate solutions to strengthen the non-profit sector.
Our vision is to be a thought leader and catalyst for positive social change in Singapore and beyond.
The Lien Centre conducts a wide range of activities, ranging from research and publications to capacity-building and catalyzing change. A customized contact information database will allow us to increase our efficiency by centralizing all our data into one user-friendly format that is accessible to all staff. This will also allow us to improve our ability to publicise programmes to target users, track programme participation across activities and publicise programmes to target users and send mass/target mailers using mail merge.
We currently keep track of all of our contacts through a complex Excel table, which houses over 4000+ entries. We routinely add the following contacts to the database:
- Programme participants and registration lists from events
- Individuals who request to be added to our database
- Individuals met in person or via email who are relevant to our work
- Import/Export: Import data from and export data to other systems.
- Search: Search for individual or organization contact based on type, level, etc.
- Sort: Sort by a wide range of tags and categories
- Reports: Able to generate reports with specific fields
- Subscribe/Unsubscribe: Enable new users to self-subscribe/unsubscribe to the system and self-designate categorization (type/level).
- Self-update: Prompt contacts to request information updates after x period of time. Utilise automatic feedback systems via social media channels to pull the most current information.
- Involvement: Use a variety of tags to attach to a person’s entry to indicate their level of involvement in our work, including repeat participation in the same activity.
- Duplication: Merge data from multiple entries for same contact.
Please refer to details for more
Sponsor Contact Information
Assistant Director, Jenny Huq, firstname.lastname@example.org
The SMU Shop - TSS mobile app
The SMU Shop (TSS), a Singapore Management University (SMU) campus-store located in the heart of the city campus, opened its doors in August 2012. Conceived to foster a greater sense of belonging within the SMU community and increase the awareness of SMU globally, TSS acts as the ambassador for the dynamic SMU brand for the campus.
TSS produces distinctively stylish SMU-inspired range of quality and quirky products epitomising the true gold and blue spirit of ‘A Different U’. Members of the SMU campus community enjoy a permanent 10% storewide discount and receive regular offers on products and services. Some are even sold at prices below cost to further reward the community.
A strong supporter of SMU events, student fundraising and community activities, TSS also provides an assortment of merchandise for customization.
The profusion of personal mobile devices has changed consumers’ expectations about access to information. Since TSS’ customers (mainly students) are always mobile, the shop is looking at bringing its consumers more convenience and another level of engagement through the help of a mobile application, which is the preferred choice over a mobile website.
The app will act as a hotspot of information that consumers can take everywhere they go, whether it’s to shop, look at unique content and new products, or share the brand with friends and family while on the run.
In addition, as the ambassador for the institution, TSS aims to have a mobile app that will also serve as a digital gateway to people who are interested to find out more about SMU, an institution at the forefront of technology.
The app should allow users to:
- Check prices and read product details / reviews
- Learn about the brand, news & promotions and in-store events (the app should be able to push info to consumers, e.g notifications for new arrivals)
- Add products to wish list
- Share images/promotions/wish list via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and email
- Collage images to create different outfits (auto removal of background from the photo of the items chosen to create clean, layered collages and the ability to be resized). It will be preferred if augmented reality can be incorporated (e.g user can “try” on the clothes using the app)
- Customise their own varsity jacket/hoodie/t-shirt, order and share their designs via Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and email
- Opt to sign up for brand emails, check out TSS/SMU social media sites and send messages about the app to friends.
Other functions required:
- Personalization (users can login with their SMU/TSS account)
- Loyalty programme (where users can also manage their reward points and pay via the app)
- Provide statistical reports and user information to TSS
You are encouraged to propose ideas (both functional and design-wise) and make suggestions to help the TSS mobile app obtain its objectives.
Compatible and able to be integrated with lightspeed Both iPhone and Android versions required
Sponsor Contact Information
Yunn Goh <email@example.com>
Benny Toh <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Envisage Education Pte Ltd - Managing Student Social Entrepreneurial Projects
Project Description Over the past 3 years, Envisage has empowered more than 3,300 youths in starting up various social entrepreneurial initiatives.
These are the features
- Multiple project types
- Database management
- Project planning system for student projects
- Management of documents related to projects
- Gantt chart feature
For more details, please refer to PDF.
Sponsor Contact Information Stanley Chia Ding Li <email@example.com>
Nielsen - Data Checking Dashboard, Mobile Maps and Geo-‐fencing for Retail Establishment Survey
Project Description Nielsen is looking to leverage IT to automate data processing and integrate new mobile communication technologies. This project is aligned to work in Indonesia using Android phones for their annual retail establishment survey (RES). It offers students an exciting opportunity to influence and improve work by several hundred field staff.
These are the features:
These are the features
- WP1: Data Checking Dashboard
- WP2: Mobile Maps
- WP3: Geo-fencing
For more details, please refer to PDF. Incentive includes working with a real-life commercial project and a chance to visit Indonesia to understand the ground situation. Please read the requirements in the PDF
Sponsor Contact Information Dr. Timothy Banks (tim.banks at nielsen.com), Dr. Whye Loon (whyeloon.tung at nielsen.com)
SMU IIE - Workflow, Collaboration & Project Management Solution for IIE operations
Project Objective Over the past 3.5 years IIE has established an internal workflow and process for managing the incubation of startups, currently this process is manual in nature. IIE is now looking to digitize this manual workflow and process, the objectives of this activity are
- Improve consistency and continuity of our operations
- Increase collaboration within the team, mentors, and incubate companies
- Improve our ability to track internal as well as incubate company projects through milestones and tasks
- Institute a MIS reporting process enabling easy access to reports both for internal tracking and decision making as well as for reporting to Funding partners.
Project 1: Promotions Managing Events that IIE undertakes – key elements of this process include
- Multiple event types
- Database management
- Registered Participants
- Attending Participants
- E-mail marketing database
- Calendar of Events
- Project Planning for Events
- Management of Documents related to the event
- PowerPoint presentations
- Videos etc.,
- Feedback management
Project 2: Competitions Taken Managing the different competitions that IIE undertakes
- Multiple Competition types
- Database Management
- Participant Database
- Submission Process & Database
- Judges Data base
- Competition management
- Setting Judging parameters
- Scores management
- Results Dashboard
- Calendar of Competitions
- Project Management for Competitions
- Management of Documents for each competition
Project 3: Sandbox & Incubation Taken Managing the internal workflow at IIE – this will involve the following major activities
- Submission of Project Proposals
- Submissions for Grants and Funding
- Joining the Incubation process
- Assigning of Mentors to each project
- Setting Milestones and tracking the progress of the project
- Demo Day Presentations
- Exiting the Incubation process
Each of the above steps will include multiple activities that will need the creation of
- Workspaces / Project Space
- Document Management
- Team collaboration
- Milestone and task management
In addition it should be possible for us to generate reports at a consolidated level as well as at the project level.
Solution Alternatives IIE is open to the following alternatives in developing the solution
- Combination of SharePoint, MS Projects with workflow and some collaboration functionality (Yammer) built in. Database software can be MySQL
- Use of existing OpenSource solutions like
- CYN.IN (www.cynapse.com – check for community edition)
- Team Lab (www.teamlab.com/opensource.aspx)
- Project Open (www.project-open.org)
- Tree.io (www.tree.io/en)
- Project Pier (www.projectpier.org)
- Ground up build using PHP, MySQL and HTML
The above listings are being provided to share the broad functionality that the solution will need to deliver.
WIIFY – What’s In It For You The teams will own the IP for the software developed by them.
Sponsor Contact Information Krishna Kumar NALLUR <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From Course Coordinator Each project could be assign to a team or group together depending on tools used or build from scratch. Please clarify the IP with IIE.
The Learning Connection Pte Ltd - Automated Scheduling System
About TLC The Learning Connections (TLC) is an arts-integrated learning organization dedicated to bringing young people together for multi-arts experiences involving creative exploration, group learning and inspiration for the imagination. Its aim is to bring arts to the lives of young people and to provide quality, authentic arts education programs in English and Chinese to preschool children to help develop children’s full potential. TLC also creates edutainment shows for young people that are performed by local and foreign stage talents. Our shows for preschool children are engaging, fun, interactive, and educational that focus on social emotional messages and also celebrates positive values. Being a company with a strong social mission, TLC started a community project in 2011 called Connecting Hearts Through Arts to reach out and touch the lives of more children, in particular, those from less privileged backgrounds. Our aim is to transform the lives of children with special needs and financially disadvantaged children in Singapore by giving them the opportunity to appreciate, experience and embrace the arts.
Project Brief Every week, the staff of TLC are deployed to various pre-school centres or kindergarten. This schedule is currently being done manually, and printed information normally includes the centre name, class level, time, lesson number and the allocated trainer. However, this consumes a lot of time and energy. TLC is looking to create an automated scheduling system that can not only create this schedule, but in doing so take into account public holidays, suspension of lessons due to special circumstances, leaves taken by trainers, familiarity of a trainer with a particular centre and replacement lessons. This programme should be accessible online, but secure and only accessible by selected staff of TLC.
- The web application is intended for up to 50 users
- It should run on popular CMS - (in order of preference) Joomla, WordPress or Drupal
- The web application would be hosted from TLC's Synology NAS DS213+ running on DSM 4.2 (more info from www.synology.com)
- PHP version supported:- 5.3.15 (register_globals off, display_error off, php_cache on, safe_mode_exec_dir on)
- MySQL version supported:- 5.1.49
- Apache version supported:- 2.2.22 (Unix)
- FTP account would be provided for
Sponsor Contact Information Van Su Yun <email@example.com> Elaine <firstname.lastname@example.org> Juliet Chia <email@example.com> Teng Wei Chun firstname.lastname@example.org (Tech guy)
From Course Coordinator Team must gather and propose requirements to define suitable scope for IS480 in the proposal. The sponsor have no IT background and your team must come up with an X factor.
IS480 Fiona/Benjamin - IS480 matching system II
Most of the scope will be extending the work done by Lightning Strike.
- Single Sign On (reuse code)
- Crawling wiki and setting up database
- Workflow of the IS480 project
- Register (CRUD) sponsors, students, teams, supervisors, projects, etc.
- Assignment and choosing: Student to team.
- Approving projects, confirming matching projects, etc.
- Matching algorithms (based on skill sets)
- From projects to teams
- From supervisors/reviewers to projects (sponsor relationships, constraints in workload/other reviewer skill sets/variety in matching/etc)
- Which projects/sponsor are popular to teams?
- How are teams formed?
FACT Singapore - FACT Calendar
The app (iOS and Android) we are looking at is similar to "Desi Calendar", available on the Apple App Store :
- Phase 1 : we will set up the important dates and info on these dates, to be downloaded with the app. Design should be capable to handle multiple countries and multiple types of calendars.
- Phase 2 : option to choose which type of calendar the user wants to make active.
- Phase 3 : option for user to add own type of calendar and populate it. All user entered data to be stored on the device.
- Phase 4 : option to create and store email addresses (on device) and link them with the various events and set up auto emails to addressees.
- Phase 5 : interface with our ERP Software if an event has happened already and avoid sending reminder.
Sponsor Contact Information Rashid Sohaib - FACT Singapore <email@example.com> Arvind Agarwalla <firstname.lastname@example.org>
SIMTech - Smart Phone based product identification application
This program is to design and develop a product identification application. The system is running as an app in smart phone. A RFID reader connects the smart phone through blue tooth and it can read the RFID tag on a product to get the product identity. The user can view product information and photos in the smartphone. The student will be trained and involved in the smart phone app, RFID and database design and development. In the end of project, the application should be able to deployed and run in the smart phone.
Interests in smart phone application; Experience in programming would be an advantage.
Sponsor Contact Information Sponsor in SMU: Prof.Li Yingjiu <email@example.com> Sponsor in SIMTech: He Wei <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From Course Coordinator Team must gather and propose requirements to define suitable scope for IS480 in the proposal.
SMU-TCS iCity Lab - Online survey & activity tracker
Request for Students Participation
We need IS480 students to help us create mobile and web applications that will be integral to what we are doing in SMU-TCS iCity Lab. We want them to help create the following 2 mobile applications. One is called “online survey questionnaire application” which from now will be referred to as OSQA and the other is “activity tracker application” and from now will be referred to as ATA.
Online Survey Questionnaire Application OSQA Taken
The first application will be an online survey questionnaire application. This application will help the lab in gathering relevant data information from the field and from there the lab can create the appropriate prototypes.
These are the requirements for the online survey questionnaire application:
- It can be accessed via desktop, laptop or thru mobile platforms; as such it should have cross-platform compatible.
- It can either be created as a native application in those platforms or can be created as a web application.
- The user interface should be appealing since we are dealing with different kinds of people across different demographics.
- It should be dynamic and configurable that anyone can create a set of questions without changing the underlying code base.
- It should save the data gathered from this application to a database.
- It can be configured to accept any type of questions. Since these data must be saved in the database then there should be a mechanic in automating this process.
- It should provide statistically reports and charts to iCity Lab.
Activity Tracker Application ATA
The second application will be an activity tracker application. This application will monitor, track, and log daily activities of a person. For example, gather total time of a person to travel from point A to point B. Another example, gather how many minutes per day a person does exercise activity. This application is integral since we are currently prototyping a health system for chronic disease management.
These are the requirements for the activity tracker application:
- It can be accessed via mobile platforms, the most common today will be Android/iOS and possible Windows in the future.
- It can add various timers for different kinds of activities. For example, Timer 1 tracks travelling time, Timer 2 tracks exercise time, etc.
- It should synchronize with the server either immediately or delayed.
- It should be user-friendly so that users will not have hard time using the application.
- It should have a monitoring capability so that users can track their progress.
- It should provide statistically reports and charts to iCity Lab.
Technically requirements for these two projects:
- Knowledge in web design and programming especially HTML5, CSS, and JQuery.
- Knowledge in mobile development especially Android and/or iOS.
- Knowledge in database design especially using PostgreSQL.
- Knowledge in Java is required.
- Knowledge in creating charts and statistics using D3 and R.
Sponsor SMU-TCS iCity Lab Contact:
Chung Suk Co/Grundfos.com - M-web/App for EasyPump E-Commerce Platform
About EasyPump EasyPumpShop is owned and operated by Chung Suk Co., Ltd Singapore Branch. The eCommerce operation started in Jan 2012. The site currently serves these five markets – Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Why EasyPump This project will allow to gain regional exposure and valuable learning in E-Commerce. Project team will also receive certificate from the management to recognize their contributions. Special award will be given for outstanding delivery of this project.
Your Challenge Come out with crazy and fun ideas to boost traffic and sales conversion/order on EasyPumpShop. Students are encouraged to use latest technology tools or create applications to facilitate purchase decision making and streamline checkout process. The key features include product categorization, community engagement, special promotions and shopping cart management . Students should design and recommend solutions by researching and identifying opportunities for the current business processes and apply their knowledge in E-Commerce.
- Research report (current site audit and recommendations)
- Actual scope will be confirmed after discussion with project team based on selection of objectives
- Final presentation
- Working prototype (can be deployed)
- Source code
- Spec files
For more information
- Martin Li <email@example.com>
Avocent/Emerson - Emerson Data Center Asset and Inventory Management
Eligible for Avocent award
Introduction Emerson Network Power, a business of Emerson (NYSE:EMR), is the global leader in enabling Business-Critical Continuity™ from grid to chip for telecommunication networks, data centers, health care and industrial facilities.
Emerson Network Power provides innovative solutions and expertise in areas including AC and DC power and precision cooling systems, embedded computing and power, integrated racks and enclosures, power switching and controls, infrastructure management, and connectivity. All solutions are supported globally by local Emerson Network Power service technicians. Aperture and Avocent solutions from Emerson Network Power simplify data center infrastructure management by maximizing computing capacity and lowering costs while enabling the data center to operate at peak performance.
Some of the world’s leading brands – such as Microsoft Corp., Intel, HP, Dell, IBM, Time Warner, Verizon, General Electric, Exxon Mobil, Disney, FedEx and Home Depot – depend on Avocent technology to help them simply manage mission critical physical resources, in the data center, remote branch location, and at end point devices.
Project Description In a Data Center, there are lots of assets comprise of servers, rack PDUs, storage equipments etc. If there isn't any asset management, database or even asset tracking solution in place, the Data Center will be in a mess in no time. We will like to have the ability to take a holistic look at the entire physical data center environment and to not only understand what is happening in real time but also make intelligent decisions about future changes and investments. See Illustration below:
The data center is IT’s most valuable (and expensive) asset, and you are responsible for the day-to-day operation. The demand for your services has grown steadily and so has the complexity of your job. Many professionals in your position have developed a range of ad hoc tools and techniques to manage the physical infrastructure. Unfortunately, all too often these tools are neither comprehensive nor integrated, failing to provide the real-world information needed to accurately plan and execute change.
Objective Students to understand and integrate open Data Base (postgresql) from Emerson Data Center Planner Software with 3rd party vendors database.
Students / Project Group will be provided the following:
- Emerson Data Center Planner Software with Data Base hosted in Virtual Machine
- 3rd Party Vendor Software & Data Base hosted in Virtual Machine
- Physical Rack, Server, Power will be provided
- 3rd Party peripherals / hardware will be provided
- Software for all licenses will be provided
- Assets / equipments which are going into or remove from the racks will need to be tracked
- 3rd party vendor "Tracking system" hardware is setup within the rack and leveraging the setup to retrieve information and status of the equipments
- Status of equipments will then update the Database (DB) of Emerson Data Center Planner software automatically, likewise on 3rd Party vendor database (DB)
- Changes to the Data Center Planner Software / DB will also reflect the changes to the equipment(s) data base
- What will be the man-hour for providing this Data Base integration
- Propose SWOT analysis for the project
Additional work beyond scope
- Update team on bi-weekly on project timeline
- Program must have limitless scalability
Requirements and Considerations Students’ background should incorporate minimum on the following fields:
- Programming Skills (SOAP, HTTP-based API interface, XML)
- Ability to understand Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Ability to understand Application Programming Interface (API)
Students will be advise on what is the 3rd party vendor software or Data Base to be integrated during discussion and need to sign a letter of non-disclosure agreement (NDA) form prior commencing on the project.
Contact Alvin.Cheang@Emerson.com <Alvin.Cheang@Emerson.com> Data Centre Solution Architect, Enterprise Solution Group - Asia, Emerson Network Power
Standard Chartered Bank - iLab@SMU
iLab@SMU is a collaborative partnership setup in 2006 by Standard Chartered Bank and SMU to create a hotbed for business, technology and financial innovations that will be rolled out across the Bank's network in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, while delivering on the Bank's commitment and belief in talent development. The collaboration creates opportunities for students to experience the corporate environment as they work on projects to solve real-life business problems with the Bank.
iLab@SMU has sponsored close to fifty IS480 projects since its inception in 2006 and had generously recognized and rewarded excellent performance from IS480 teams and individuals that delivered exceptional results in their projects.
Got ideas? Talk to us about it!
Come to us if you want to explore project possibilities. A number of iLAB projects have been initiated by YOUR ideas, and then refined through interaction with SCB professionals.
Requirements for ALL iLab@SMU projects :
- Passion and Willingness to explore boundaries of innovations
- New tools, Development environment
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Drop an email to me to arrange a time with our staff to find out more about the Standard Chartered Bank @ iLab!
From Course Coordinator Please inform the course coordinator before confirming any projects with iLab.
SMU - Alexandra Health T-Lab
Alexandra Health, together with the School of Information Systems (SIS) at the Singapore Management University (SMU) have established a partnership since May 2010 to work together to demonstrate fresh and better ways to serve and satisfy patients whenever they are interacting with the Alexandra Health system. Through this partnership, a joint mechanism known as the "T-Lab" has been established that enables students, staff and faculty of SMU's School of Information Systems (SIS) to team with professionals from Alexandra Health to work on a continuing series of projects to improve service delivery, quality, productivity and experience.
Come and talk to us if you are interested in working on a project aimed at adding value to the delivery of healthcare services.
Contact: Koh Lian Chee - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Modules pre-requisite
- IS203 Software Engineering
- IS301 Enterprise Integration
From Course Coordinator Please inform the course coordinator before confirming any projects with Alexandra Hospital.