Difference between revisions of "Projects"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
== The Kids Network ==
== The Kids Network ==
<span style="color:blue"><b>About Us</b></span>
<span style="color:blue"><b>About Us</b></span>
|Line 27:||Line 67:|
== ITI, SMU – Tracks Management System ==
== ITI, SMU – Tracks Management System ==
Revision as of 10:22, 14 May 2019
These are available projects for IS480. The descriptions are maintained by the sponsor or sent to the course manager. Past Projects
PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT: You are expected to attend meetings you set. If you are not able to attend for legitimate reasons, please inform your contact and course coordinator with reasons stated. If we receive any complain about your unprofessional conduct, you will be rejected from IS480 for 1 term!! Your conduct is a reflection of SIS students and SMU. Do NOT take this lightly!!
NOTE: These project have been reviewed by IS480 course coordinator. However, there is no guarantee that these projects are acceptable. You are required to gather more information, submit draft proposal for feedback, and clear all NDA, IP issues early before proposal. Sponsors must refer to FAQ.
- 1 Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies – AR/VR software solution for Bariatric Surgery Patients
- 2 The Kids Network - Mobile engagement app
- 3 ITI, SMU – Tracks Management System
- 4 TEE Land Limited: – The Next Gen Parking Management Solution
- 5 RunKicker – Personalised Intervention Engine (P.I.E)
- 6 K11 Security Engineering – K11 HRClick
- 7 TWC2 - SalaryTracker
- 8 SMU CTE - Project Mic-Test 1-2-3
- 9 Scanteak - Data Analytics for Scanteak’s Sales Value and Quantity Forecast
- 10 ASPT(Singapore) - Business Requirement Document
- 11 Seah Kim Cheok Construction Co Pte Ltd – Enhance ACCPAC (DOS) accounting programme
- 12 DHL SMU Analytics Lab – Various projects
- 13 Learning Sprint Edtech – Creating an Education Marketplace and Teaching Solution Powered By Machine-learning
- 14 Singapore Weiqi Association-Tournament web portal
- 15 CANDID-INTEL: a blockchain enabled talent sourcing marketplace
- 16 LightBridge Technologies - An Assets Exchange Platform based on Smart Contract and Blockchain
- 17 Epitrain - Financial calculator e-commerce system
- 18 SAS Institute - Driving Analytics Innovation in Financial Services Industries
- 19 Novosphere – Mobile Auto industry shopping cart
- 20 VWO - Make a difference
- 21 Self Proposed - Innovative Idea
Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies – AR/VR software solution for Bariatric Surgery Patients
About Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies At Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies (JJMDC), we are using our breadth, scale and experience to reimagine the way healthcare is delivered and help people live longer, healthier lives. In a radically changing environment, we are making connections across science and technology to combine our own expertise in surgery, orthopaedics and interventional solutions with the big ideas of others to design and deliver physician and patient-centric products and solutions. As pioneers in medical devices, we continually focus on elevating the standard of care—working to expand patient access, improve outcomes, reduce health system costs and drive value. We create smart, people-centered healthcare to help the patients we serve recover faster and live longer and more vibrantly. https://www.jnj.com/healthcare-products/medicaldevices
- Background: Obesity is a big, worldwide problem, and the number of obese patients who need bariatric surgery is increasing rapidly. However, there are many myths surrounding surgery and there is strong need for providing right information to appropriate patients. Bariatric VR is designed for doctors to present data to patients in a visually immersive way covering educational videos on obesity and surgery, patient testimonials, co-morbidities related to obesity, and comparisons between the patient’s body pre and post-surgery.
- Value Proposition: To create a unique, educational and immersive experience for patients to understand the challenges posed by morbid obesity and seek knowledge about treatment modalities including life transforming changes enabled by bariatric surgery.
Target users: Surgeons, physicians, bariatric counselors and patients
- Synchronize: Unique Sync Code got from VR headset can be used to pair VR headset and iPad. After that, doctors with iPad are able to control what patients view in VR headset.
- Short educational video on obesity and metabolic surgery
- Patient Info: Input required questions like height, weight, pre-existing conditions in iPad. These answers are related with what will be shown later. There are also additional questions to help doctors know more about emotions of patients.
- Related Stories: After patient info part, doctors can choose to play several videos related to bariatric surgery stories to build a more emotional background for patients before they talk about the surgery.
- 3D Models: This is the main part of the demo. 3D human body models are shown here.
There are three modes in this part which are “Current Status”, “Projected Weight Loss” and “Comparison”. “Current Status” is showing the model similar to patients now. “Projected Weight Loss” is showing the model patients might be after the surgery. “Comparison” put two different models together to compare the changes directly.
Important parts of the body are highlighted, and detailed information will be provided when doctor click the spot. Doctors can use different types of contents such as texts, videos, 360° pictures, 360° videos.
The shape of the models and contents can be customized with questions before. By this way, patients get easier to listen and understand the doctor.
- Build a conversation tool to facilitate doctor’s conversation with patients in a more vivid, and immersive way
- Build a more caring and emotional environment to patients.
- Make surgery information more friendly, acceptable and easier to understand.
Deliverable An AR/VR software solution with above features. The prioritization and exact details of the in-scope features can be discussed based on the hardware/software availability and project duration constraints.
Contact Rashid Mohiuddin Snr. Manager – Technology Services – Analytics firstname.lastname@example.org 65-96444817
The Kids Network - Mobile engagement app
The Kids Network (TKN) is a Netball academy that provides Netball trainings for children 6 to 12 years old. The players are split into different teams/classes base on their age group to train further. As of April 2019, we have 80 players, 6 different class and 9 coaches. We train on a weekly basis at Kallang Netball Centre. Kallang Netball Centre is an outdoor venue. This means that when it rains, our training will be postponed. Like local schools, we run in terms. Fees are collected on a termly basis. Every term, to ensure our players gain court experience and apply the skills they learned, we will organise friendly games or sign the teams up for suitable netball carnivals.
Develop a mobile App on both Andriod and IOS systems to help us connect and engage better with our parents. The App should include the abilities to:
- providing up-to-date training and games schedules
- send out reminders for fee payment and to make payment via the App itself
- sign & submit consent forms for friendly games
- show weather updates and disseminate information of postponed training due to wet weather
- allow parents to update their details
ITI, SMU – Tracks Management System
Brief requirements: Every semester, students are required to fill in the admission forms and then email the processing officers to submit the admission forms and required documents separately. The completion of track requirements are also handled and managed manually. This leads to problems in - managing applications, tracking of requirements and slow reporting. In addition to this, the admission process is not transparent to students which results in multiple queries on track status and completion. The goal of the 'Tracks Management System' is to computerize the admission management system structure, its related operation, and functionality to rectify these weaknesses. Also, the purpose is to provide support to the administration and admission seeking candidates by providing a faster, transparent, and easy way of maintaining records and utilize them for reference and further proceedings such as alumni management and reporting analytics.
Function list: Primary Functions
- Users: Admin, Student, Alumni
- Applications Management
- Students and Alumni Management
- Non-Credit Courses Management
- Newsfeed for events/careers/internships/articles/resources
- Reporting Analytics
- No. of applicants over the years
- No. of students from different faculty
- Careers & Internship
- Information Extraction from CVs and resumes
- To analyse skills & background to draw insights on prospective students
Contact: Jennifer Lim, International Trading Institute, SMU, http://iti.smu.edu.sg/ email: email@example.com
TEE Land Limited: – The Next Gen Parking Management Solution
About TEE Land Limited:: TEE International Limited (“TEE” or together with its subsidiaries and associate companies, “TEE Group”) was established in the 1980s, and has grown from a general electrical contractor to an established Integrated Engineering, Real Estate and Infrastructure Group. With its operations spanning across Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong and New Zealand, TEE Group continues to focus on its core Engineering specialisation to grow its Infrastructure business alongside its complementary Real Estate business.
Listed on the Stock Exchange of Singapore Dealing and Automated Quotation System “SESDAQ” (now known as the SGX Catalist) in 2001, TEE was upgraded to the SGX Mainboard in 2008. Over the years, TEE Group has established a strong track record in delivering quality and value-added services by providing integrated solutions to its customers. With a strong brand position, TEE has been able to secure prominent projects both locally and regionally.
With its people at the centre of the TEE Group’s business model, TEE branches out through its integrated platform – Engineering, Infrastructure and Real Estate by tapping on the expertise, experience, and capabilities of its people. TEE has expanded its regional presence in the Asia-Pacific region either directly by TEE Group or through strategic partnerships and acquisitions. http://www.teeintl.com
What we need you to solve?
Today, more than 70% of carparks are using the Electronic Parking System (EPS). EPS in a carpark can cost up to $150,000. It consists of a cashless system that uses EPS antenna to read the number of ERP In-Vehicle Unit (IU) at the entry and exit of the carpark. Kiosks are also required for drivers to top up their cash cards.
EPS faces issues such as tailgating, double charging and long queues at barriers when drivers do not maintain sufficient funds. A move to an app-based payment system based on License Plate Recognition (LPR) technology will help to reduce infrastructure cost, enhance driver experience and support Singapore’s push towards electronic payments via PayNow.
How do we co-create and have fun together?
The Project Team will have the opportunity to work on Tee International's new technologies such as its License Plate Recognition (LPR) system and e-parking kiosks. These systems are currently used live at Changi Airport and Seng Kang hospital.
The Project Team is expected to envision, design and build the Next Gen Parking System that aims to replace the current EPS. The Next Gen Parking System must integrate with the following existing technologies and the team is required to study these technologies in sufficient detail to support them with the integration.
- The Sponsor's License Plate Recognition System
- The Sponsor's Parking Payment Kiosk
- SGQR, Singapore's single QR code that combines multiple e-payment solutions into one. See http://www.mas.gov.sg/sgqr/index.html
The Project Team shall deploy and conduct live trials of their system at Tee Building. This will involve gathering and analysing data and getting user feedback. The Project Team should plan to have a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) deployed as soon as possible, preferably by the end of midterm.
Some pointers on what you need to do
- Ideate and tell the story of how the future of car parking is with the adoption and adaptation of LPR, mobile apps and payment via SGQR.
- Design the UI and UX of the mobile apps through wire-framing.
- Define and setup the technology stack of the system infrastructure which includes the edge computing machine and cloud server.
- Define the software architecture for both the backend and frontend.
- Plan and breakdown the system and software development into sprints.
- . Develop, document, deploy and test the system and software in each iteration.
- Conduct live trials at Tee Building in Singapore.
- All documentation and source codes to be uploaded on Github.
Contact: Edwin Tan, Consultant Edwin.firstname.lastname@example.org, Via NG Boon Thai <email@example.com>
RunKicker – Personalised Intervention Engine (P.I.E)
About RunKicker: At RunKicker, we're creating healthier lives by combining Artificial Intelligence and Behavioural Science to continuously personalise health interventions for each individual. We're dedicated to preventative healthcare through the use of smart technology and health and behavioural data driven solutions.
Based out of one of the most technologically innovative countries in the world (Singapore), our team comprises of AI, Software, Health & Fitness and Insurance Industry Professionals with a passion for helping people to live healthier, better lives.
And of course, Runkicker will give customers an awesome personal user experience. That experience will come from combining the latest technology and analytics techniques, and it will also come from customers interacting with an awe-inspiring app design.
Runkicker is driving a revolution, not evolution, in the global health and fitness app market. If you’re the type of person that likes to re-define boundaries, set new standards for others to follow and to collaborate with global experts to pioneer revolutionary change that will benefit a global health epidemic, then read on.
Project Description: The next generation Health and Fitness Evolution – Personalised Intervention Engine (P.I.E)
Though a variety of persuasive health applications have been designed with a preventive standpoint toward health in mind, many have been designed largely for a general audience. Designers of these technologies would achieve more success if applications consider an individual’s personality type. Our goal for this project is to connect and build the relationship between personality and persuasive technologies in the context of health-promoting mobile interventions.
Interventions are defied as those (what we refer to as) ‘kickers’ that prompt, promote, push the user towards initiating or continuing on the path to achievement of their health goals. As an example, an Analytical Profile would respond better to an assessment of what’s needed to complete their goals as opposed to encouragement from a peer or family member. A Social Profile would in effect respond better to the reverse.
To achieve this we will focus on persuasive mobile technologies that promote physical activity because that is one of the common applications of health and most individuals currently own - a mobile device.
To deliver this goal, you will work with Dr Huey Lee (SMU Psychology) to research, define and create user experience depicting eight different persuasive technology strategies: Authoritative, Non-Authoritative, Extrinsic Motivators, Intrinsic Motivators, Positive Reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, Cooperative Social Persuasion and Competitive Social Persuasion.
These ‘intervention types’ will be created within a dynamic content engine that is coupled to the Personality Profiles (defined by Dr lee) to deliver the right intervention to the right connected personality at the right time.
Examples are (1) Instruction Style • Authoritative: Uses an authoritative agent, such as a drill sergeant or strict personal trainer, to instruct the user on how to meet their fitness goals. • Non-Authoritative: Uses a neutral agent, such as a friend or peer, to encourage the user to meet their goals. (2) Social Feedback • Cooperative: Uses the notion of users cooperating as a team with friends or peers to complete their fitness goals. • Competitive: Uses a strategy of competing against friends or peers to “win” a competition. (3) Motivation Type • Extrinsic: Uses external motivators, such as winning trophies, as a reward for conducting healthy behaviors. • Intrinsic: Uses internal motivators, such as feeling good about one’s self or feeling healthy, to motivate healthy behaviors. (4) Reinforcement Type • Negative Reinforcement: Removes an aversive stimulus(e.g.,turns a brown and dying nature scene green and healthy) as the user conducts more healthy behaviors. • Positive Reinforcement: Adds a positive stimulus (e.g., adds flowers, butterflies, and other nice-looking elements to any empty nature scene) as the user conducts more healthy behaviors. The team will extend on the current SMU IS 480 MVP (Dauntless) to combine functionality.
Project Requirements: The team will be required to create a data input framework application with the following core parts:
- Build an initial data set that contains profiles of customers that match the personality types.
- Build ‘cold-start’ intervention (as in if you match this profile we will show you ‘X’) based on the research conducted.
- Then build recommendation engine feedback loop, capture feedback data and retrain the model to improve relevant recommendations.
- A functioning recommendation engine with integrated feedback loop and self-training model.
- Create data flow from the App to the NOSQL database (feedback loop for the recommendation engine). This could be text, emoji, picture etc. See attached diagram.
- Research – Map behavioural profiles/persona’s to intervention types (in conjunction with Dr Lee)
- Technical – NOSQL, mobile application development (iOS, Android, Cross Development Tools for Mobile applications) languages can include Python, Java.
- Machine learning recommendation engine algorithms.
- Familiar with web development technology and frameworks (TensorFlow/Keras)
NOTE: IS480 should not be focus on training a recommendation engine. It can customise recommendation engine to specific needs.
K11 Security Engineering – K11 HRClick
About the K11 Security Engineering K11 is a security company established since 2010. We have over 80 security guards whom we deploy to our various security sites. We have over 50 security sites at the moment. So require a HR system to manage our growing team of security officers.
About K11 HRClick It will be available on 2 platforms, a mobile application and web application. The web application will be accessible by the management and the mobile application will be accessible by the security guards.
Functions: Web Application:
- Access control:
- Operations Officer should only be able to see certain information.
- Director will be given full access control.
- Register “Take over Duty” and “Hand over Duty” for sites. (i.e. time in and time out)
- Calculate working hours based on time in and time out and alert work times after 12 hours.
- Employee information:
- Register key information of employee (security officers)
- This function will be able to set number of leave entitled and basic pay of each officer.
- This function will also allow management to input any extra allowances such as loan or advance pay (this will all be taken into account in payslip generation)
- Generate Key employment terms (in pdf format) – we will provide all the details on this.
- Based on attendance and details from employee information available only by month, system will generate a payslip for each employee (downloadable pdf on the mobile app and web application)
- The payslip format we will provide a MOM standard format
- Leave application:
- Approve or reject leave
- For every site, operation officer can choose from a dropdown list of security officer for day or night shift.
- Alert if same officer is chosen for the same shift on the same day for a different site or if officer is scheduled for leave that day.
- Every time the roaster is “Submitted”, all the officers will be get an update on the shifts they will be doing for the month. The roaster is editable anytime of the month, just that if the operations officer “Submit” an updated roaster, all the security officers’ timetable will be updated.
- Send reminder email if work permit of officer is going to expire.
- Leave application
- Apply for leave
- Send notification if leave is approved or rejected
- View leaves applied and leaves remaining
- View current and next shift.
- Insert time in and time out
- Send alert if shift has started and officer has not input the “time in” or if shift has ended alert officer to input “time out”
- View and download past and current payslip
Contact: Shangeri <Shangeri1994@k11.com.sg>, SIS alumni The Chosen Six
TWC2 - SalaryTracker
TWC2 is interested to build a mobile app inspired by Jornaler (also known as Jornalero).
About the Journaler Jornaler@ is a mobile phone application that combines technology with worker education for preventing wage-theft and other labour rights violations. The app has been tailored to the specific needs of undocumented migrant day laborers in the USA, who are among the most vulnerable members of the workforce. They do not have regular jobs, but instead seek casual work from different employers day by day. Over 50% of day laborers have experienced some type of wage theft (non-payment of wages).
The Jornaler@ application provides day laborers and worker centers with a recordkeeping and data sharing tool, which would help them to both prevent wage-theft incidence. Through a record of work hours, and together with the ability to store information about their casual employers, e.g. the car they drive, Jornaler@ helps workers prove their claims to their rightful wages legally.
About TWC2’s proposed SalaryTracker app. Unlike the context for Jornalero, our Singapore app is aimed at legal workers. There is therefore no need for the app to store information about the employer beyond the official name of their legal employer. Instead, the focus of the app is to counter the possibility of false claims by the employer in cases of wage disputes. E.g. the employer might deny that the worker worked overtime on such and such a day, or the employer might say that the worker never showed up at work at all. The employer might also miscalculate the rate of pay for overtime, thus coming up with a total salary that is less that the worker should get.
Features we’d like SalaryTracker to have
- Store data on the phone with export option
- Store key information such as worker ID, employer name, basic monthly salary.
- App should be able to store information for up to three employers/jobs simultaneously.
- “Punch Card” function, allowing the worker to enter the time he starts work and the time he ends work for each day of the calendar. Worker can either capture the phone system’s time, or manually key in a time (if the latter, app should also log what time he manually keyed in the time in/out.)
- Geolocation function. Worker should be able to capture his geolocation at any time. The app should log the time he captured his geolocation. This will help the worker prove that he was at work at such and such a time.
- Salary estimate function. The app should be able to estimate for the worker, based on his punch card data, what his salary for the month is. This allows him to know whether the amount he is eventually paid is correct.
- Supporting documents. The worker is prompted to take photos of time cards and salary slips that the employer produces, and which are either given to him or temporarily shown to him. The app should link to the images stored.
- Languages. English, Chinese, Bengali, Tamil, Burmese.
- And any other features students might recommend.
Contact: Pat Meyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Alex Au <email@example.com>
SMU CTE - Project Mic-Test 1-2-3
Project Description Project Mic-Test 1-2-3, a Voice-Recognition Artificial Intelligence project, seeks to build an application that will provide students with formative feedback on their presentations to supplement instructors’ feedback. In addition to students’ presentations, such application, when developed, has great potential to be applied to different context (e.g. training of interview skills).
It is envisioned that this project could be done in two key phases.
- Students’ (audio) presentations will be transcribed into text using a speech-to-text Application Programming Interface (API),
- The generated text and associated timestamp could then analysed to generate meaningful feedback (e.g. high frequency fillers words, text summarisation, pace of presentation compared to SMU norm).
- Going further, the text could be analysed using a API (e.g. IBM Artificial Intelligence application) to score the presentation based on the Emotion Tones (e.g. Anger, Disgust, Fear, Joy and Sadness) and Language Tone (e.g. Analytical, Confident, Tentative).
Project deliverables for Phase 1 include a minimal viable product to provide feedback to students on their presentation. This includes collection of presentation data with consent from SMU students for use for this purpose.
This is a bonus phase and may be completed by a subsequent batch of IS480 students, the current batch of students are expected to document their technical and functional specifications as these will be handed over to a next batch of students.
Skills Some NLP skills is good to have
Contact: LEONG Kwok Hing <firstname.lastname@example.org> WEE Tian Lu <email@example.com> James FOO Chek Keng <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Scanteak - Data Analytics for Scanteak’s Sales Value and Quantity Forecast
About Scanteak What began as a tiny 400 sq ft office space in Joo Chiat has rapidly developed into an international brand, furnishing homes worldwide with the warmth of Scandinavian-design teak furniture. To date, Scanteak has opened more than 150 retail outlets and flagship stores in Singapore, Taiwan, and Japan. Scanteak is now the largest furniture retailer in Taiwan with more than a 100 showrooms, and is the first local furniture brand to successfully penetrate the Japanese market, which is renowned for being both design and quality conscious. Scanteak’s Singapore presence covers 14 showrooms island-wide. Wherever the brand may be, it aims to bring the warm, restful and inviting experience to all visitors.
Project Impetus In a complex business environment faced with changing consumer behaviours e.g. internet browsing and buying, competitive pressure e.g. new entrants and uncertainties e.g. political changes bring about new rules and regulations, it is important that business remains relevant and adopt cutting-edge practices to win in the market. While the company collects enormous amount of customer and transactional data on a daily basis, much of these are currently not been analysed or utilised effectively to influence and shape business decisions.
Project Description Leveraging on the latest trends in machine learning, data analytics and data visualization, the project goal is to forecast sales and inventory so that the company can conduct effective forward planning in its financials and inventory holdings. For example, based on historical price trends and seasonality factors such as Great Singapore Sale period, the system can derive the price elasticity of products and predict the expected sales value and quantity based on user price changes.
Project Deliverables Working with the users, the project team is expected to deliver over the course of the project duration:
- An on-demand and user-friendly application (on premise or cloud-based) for the purpose of data importation, data analytics and data visualization.
- Allow user to change variables such as prices, sales staff incentives, products mix, period, etc to predict the desired outcome.
- Export reports to common formats eg. PDF, excel worksheets and graphs.
Skills Required Any programming language or app the project team feels is suitable to build and deliver the outcome.
Contact: Name: Kenneth Wong, Email: Kenneth.email@example.com Name: Jamie Lim, Email: Jamie@scanteak.com.sg
ASPT(Singapore) - Business Requirement Document
About ASPT(Singapore) Pte Ltd ASPT(Singapore) is an electronics wholesaler and OEM manufacturer based in Singapore, dealing with after-market electronic components in home appliances. The company exports to over 40 countries and have several appointed distributing agents in each of these countries. ASPT(Singapore) also owns the trademark brand ARUKI and its subsidiary ARUKI (Shanghai) co; ltd.
Our corporate mission is to provide products of excellent quality at an affordable price, so that at the end of the day, consumers benefit by being able to make smarter and better choices, saving resources globally in the long run.
Requirement Specification document (RSD) Context or background of the project
The HVAC repair industry is a grey area where end consumers are being charged prices that vary hugely, depending on demand/supply and individual workmanship. Furthermore, consumers have a tough time choosing and deciding which vendor is best for the job, when there are too many choices online yet too little information to aid decision making.
To increase transparency from the top of the supply chain down to the end consumer, as well as helping by sharing our knowledge and expertise in this field as a community, ASPT intends to develop a simple platform application optimized for the end user to allow easy decision making and sourcing information.
The early phase of the app is essentially similar to TripAdvisor, where a database of vendors (repair companies, in our case) are available for browsing, and users are able to read/write reviews for each of these vendors. Users who have had experience of specific services may leave their feedback for the benefit of other users to make better decisions.
Detailed Business Requirements
The application should be easy to use and optimized for decision making. The app should be able to feed users sufficient information about the vendor in order to ease decision making, such as company description, vendor photos, website, phone number, price range, reviews etcetera.
- Vision of the project – An app and brand that will first surface in consumers’ mind when looking for services (Repair, plumbing, physical labour, moving)
Phase 1: Niche - Primarily focus on home appliances repair: Air-con, refrigerator, washing machine
- Objectives of the project – To strengthen and enhance the company’s capabilities to carry out our values and mission to make a strong positive impact for the next generation
- Scope of the project – Full scale development of web app and mobile app
- Stakeholder identification – Company, employees, developers, end users
- Scope of the solution – Database coverage of repair services ranging from air-con, refrigerators, washing machine. Can be scalable to include other areas like plumbing, and eventually any services that requires labour or craftmanship.
Functional Specification document (FSD)
- Purpose of the project - To provide users seamless experience when looking for a repair service (Basically, TripAdvisor or Uber for services)
- Scope of the project – Full scale web and mobile app development
- Primary functional requirements (Phase 1)
- Home page (Banner, search bar, service category browsing)
- User accounts (login, register, user profile)
- User account by user type (end user, vendor user)
- Vendor login interface: Updating of company details, uploading of photos (Up to 5)
- Basic company details including: Website, contact number, email, price range, operating hours, location
- User login interface: User profile, profile picture, browse services, browse company details, read/write reviews, shortcuts access to website, contact number, email
- Reviews: Star rating and short string text
- Reviews can be from multiple sources (in-app users, google reviews etc)
- Vendor authentication: Company UEN number
- User authentication: Passport/IC number, mobile phone number
- Vendor verification: Only vendors that are verified and approved will appear to end users
- Search & Filter function: By name, location, star rating, popularity
- Backend server management
- Secondary functional requirements (Phase II – Advance)
- Direct Messaging function: Direct communication of user and vendor within the app
- Vendor’s response rate rating: Based on speed of response from direct message
- Service booking within the app
- GPS Tracking current position of serviceman
- Payment for booking
- Complaints/refund/cancellation/reporting management
- Costs constraints can be discussed
Deliverables To deliver the primary functions through an integrated web and mobile application, secondary functions are a bonus. The management is open to changes and will be willing to take in suggestions, as long as the solution proposed improves the overall outcome. Any constraints, problems, and issues can be brought out for open discussion. The company director and staff will be happy to clarify any questions regarding the business requirement document (BRD). We hope it would be a good learning experience for you and us. We look forward to working with you. PS: Note from director (SMU alumni) – Don’t be worried about failing, but be worried about not trying.
Additional Info: Sample Protype - https://pr.to/PFD818/ Note: This is only a sample prototype from ideation phase to illustrate some of the possible functions and does not serve as a strict template or basis for development.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (Director)
Seah Kim Cheok Construction Co Pte Ltd – Enhance ACCPAC (DOS) accounting programme
About Seah Kim Cheok Construction Co Pte Ltd Seah Kim Cheok Construction Pte Ltd is a B1 General Construction Firm in Singapore. We have been operating for nearly half a century in Singapore. Our focus is on residential projects from Strata Housing to Bungalows. Currently, we are diverging into small property development. As industries all digitalise, we wish to find suitable digital solutions for our company.
Please view the following link for our portfolio of construction projects https://tinyurl.com/y7f7xmuq
- Currently, Singapore lacks a dedicated project management web module suitable for construction staff of all educational level. We have been sourcing around but there are little market solutions as the industry is more traditional. SMU-X had previously created an accounting and budget management module for us. We wish to expand on this module by adding in project management and HR Management services. This would greatly benefit construction companies and improve efficiencies. An area the government and companies have been attempting for a long while.
- An example of how this module could work would be https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gwk71zovsz3hqyf/AABMcmlzTOTMOSwwGqnkt7xTa?dl=0This is not the fixed module and we are open to discussion with you
- We are open to web app and/or phone app
- Build on additional modules on a previous SMU-X Project. Accounting Architects
- Work with us to find ways to present a project management module simply so all stakeholders in construction can use it
- We invite you to contact us to learn more about this project and work together to make this a success. We have great success and collaboration with previous SMU-X Project Team. We would be happy to link you with them to learn more about our company and how we work with them to create successful projects. Contact us today 😊
- Project management web app and/or phone app
- Adding the module into an already operation AWS web made by previous SMU-X team
- Working with our IT intern for any help you require
Skill Requirements Skills such as the following may be needed (but not limited to):
- SSL Language
- Any language you feel suitable to build the modules
Contact: Seah Kah Howe email@example.com
DHL SMU Analytics Lab – Various projects
About DHL SMU Analytics Lab The DHL-SMU Analytics Lab promotes and accelerates the application of big data analytics in logistics and supply chain management. Leveraging our broad spectrum of capabilities in advanced data science and machine learning, we create opportunities for strategic business change and innovation.
Integrate and extend the following projects
- Platform for Supply Chain Data Visualisation by Panda Conda. A platform for supply chain logistic company to visualise their data.
- External data correlation system by Beyond Ideas. A platform to correlate data using a supply chain data visualisation platform. This platform include a crawling service of website for external data.
IP and NDA requirements Due to the data and DHL SML collaboration, student teams are required to sign a NDA and IP rights for DHL. Note: If you are uncomfortable with this requirement, please do not choose this project. In return, you are able to work on logistic industry related data with relevant problem statement.
Contact: Benjamin Gan firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning Sprint Edtech – Creating an Education Marketplace and Teaching Solution Powered By Machine-learning
About Learning Sprint Edtech kindlr (previously Learning Sprint) is a B2B web and mobile application that helps tuition centre owners reach more students by moving offline classes online, and at the same time creating a more affordable learning option for students. Our immediate goal is to revolutionise learning in SEA by creating knowledge-sharing tools powered by machine learning that are truly value-adding for both educators and learners. Our eventual aim is to leverage on our tools to improve the education infrastructure in less-developed countries.
Earlier this year, kindlr was awarded the Singapore Valley Awards (SVA) – an annual entrepreneurship award that offers students, with the most compelling business ideas, a fully-sponsored internship to China. Last year, kindlr won a position in the SMU Impact Accelerator, a 12-week programme that provides a co-working space, mentorship, and community for social innovators and was featured in Festival for Good 2017.
- The platform must be capable of replacing the way educators teach and learners acquire knowledge in a physical setting with online tools (i.e. the online platform must be capable of replacing the physical interaction between an educator and a learner)
- The platform must aid educators to teach and students to learn more effectively and efficiently
- The platform must enable education to take place at anytime and anywhere
Project deliverables: A working  web application and  parallel mobile application that allows private tutors to:
- Deliver their weekly face-to-face lessons in real time via virtual learning online
- Use a simple learning management system to organise lesson materials
- Create smart quizzes with multiple levels of difficulty that varies with a student’s progress
A working  web application and  parallel mobile application that allows students to:
- Attend lessons with just an internet connection regardless of location
- Learn at their own pace by playing back past lesson recordings
- Monitor their own learning progress (by tracking their smart quiz results)
(Note: more details will be provided when we engage with the students)
Student benefits Opportunity to code a full-fledged working platform: completing this FYP project successfully will enable the student to add this to his or her portfolio. This would prove to be a huge value-add should the student apply for any budding tech start-ups or even existing tech giants.
Opportunity to apply creatively knowledge and skill-sets acquired from NUS courses: while we have stated the final deliverables, we are flexible in terms of how the students arrive at the final product because we believe in nurturing through autonomy – students would grow best having the freedom to creatively apply what they have learnt in their coursework and doing so would allow them to deepen their understanding of the concepts learnt.
Understanding the business requirements of an emerging start-up: to ensure that they can deliver the product to their best abilities, students would have to understand the context and business requirements of what they are doing. Thus, not only will they improve on their technical skills and knowledge, they will also be able to gain industry and business knowledge in the process.
Opportunity to be part of the team in delivering a good cause: If the student is capable and has an intrinsic interest to better the education for the region, we will be more than happy for him or her to be on board. Successful candidates will be able to carry on this exciting journey even after the FYP project is completed.
Hardware required: Working laptop/desktop with Linux-based OS preferred Software required: Git, any IDE (we recommend VS Code), Ruby 2.5.0 (install with either rbenv or rvm), Postgres, Internet Browser, Node, pnpm
Technical skills: Students are expected to have basic understanding for REST APIs and MVC architecture. In addition to implementing features, also expected to write automated test suites. Web application • Frontend language: VueJS • Backend language: Ruby on Rails (Okay if you know python) • Database: Postgres Mobile application • Frontend language: To be determined • Backend language: Ruby (Ruby on Rails) • Database: Postgres Algorithm: The implementation of Machine Learning features requires some knowledge of Machine Learning concepts and algorithms (python or R) and the outputs will be in the form of REST APIs UI/UX skills (optional, but preferred): The main deliverable would be a product that is directly visible to the consumers/clients. Any aesthetic skills or UI/UX knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Contact: Name: Sim Poh Sia (SMU Alumni) Email: email@example.com Designation: Project Lead Organisation Name: Learning Sprint Edtech Mailing address: 29, #02-57, Coco Palms, Pasir Ris Grove (Singapore 518074)
NOTE: Looking for members to join Technical team. Expect team to lead the development
Singapore Weiqi Association-Tournament web portal
Enhance existing portal developed by Team BFF
About Singapore Weiqi Association (SWA) Singapore Weiqi Association is the national body (NSA) for the game Weiqi (Go) in Singapore.
Project Objective This project is to enhance the operation efficiency and accuracy of the several national and international tournaments held in Singapore.
Project Brief The students are required to enhance the existing new tournament software using technology such as OCR and automated algorithm calculation, as described below:
- Primary functions
- Allow user to use mobile phone to take a picture of the board and calculate the score automatically Create a native mobile application
- Create a native mobile application
- Improve usability of the current web application
- Secondary functions
- Create a live game record based on video footage
Deliverable To deliver the primary functions
Contact: Jacinta Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org), Genial Tan (email@example.com)
CANDID-INTEL: a blockchain enabled talent sourcing marketplace
CANDID-INTEL: a blockchain enabled talent sourcing marketplace to empower corporates to hire anytime anywhere
About Candid-Intel Candid-Intel is a Singapore - based start-up with the aim to revolutionize the recruitment industry by simplifying and digitizing the recruitment workflow process between employer, recruitment agencies and job seekers - by building a talent sourcing marketplace underlined by blockchain and smart contract technologies.
Project Motivation The platform utilizes blockchain and smart technologies to allow:
- Employers set an auction for their job openings, allowing recruiters to bid with their best talent available
- Recruiters access can access an unlimited amount of job openings, monetizing their candidate networks and increasing income in a secure and transparent way.
- Job referrers can monetize their professional networks by referring candidates to employers
- Job seekers can secure their personal data and develop digital identities enabling the secure exchange of sensitive personal data.
Utilising cutting edge blockchain and smart contract technologies we can significantly disrupt the $400 billion recruitment market for both permanent and contract talent sourcing.
The projects seeks the development of a working proof of concept system that comprises the following main areas:
- Buy / sale auction system
- Transaction Management of Job seeker profiles
- Smart contract management / development
- Feasibility testing / assessment of using utility token
- Interface development (Via responsive web based interface)
- Testing the feasibility and functionalities of Blockchain application to bring product/service offering to next level
- understanding of ledgers, consensus methods, blockchains, and cryptocurrencies in general
- Strong understanding of algorithms, data structures, cryptography and data security, and decentralized technologies.
- Strong coding skills with at least one of the following languages: Go, C, C++ , JAVA, Python.
- At least some degree of experience creating blockchain frameworks and business applications.
The team will work closely with the Candid-Intel project team to ensure that the Proof of Concept system is robust enough to take to market in a live setting with users key clients in the industry testing the platform and assessing its viability.
Contact: 'Kevin Matthews' <firstname.lastname@example.org> Sabrina Ho - KS Partners <email@example.com> via Paul GRIFFIN <firstname.lastname@example.org>
LightBridge Technologies - An Assets Exchange Platform based on Smart Contract and Blockchain
About LightBridge Technologies LightBridge Technologies is a Singapore-based company that provides turn-key Infocomm solutions for Smart Cities. We deliver integrated solutions comprising mobile applications and wired/wireless communication networks to our partners to enable them to be competitive in an increasingly data-centric world. LightBridge Technologies will develop next generation trading systems for SHCAEE.
Synopsis [This is a collaboration with Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange (SHCAEE)] About Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange (SHCAEE) The Shanghai Culture Assets and Equity Exchange was set up in 2009 to offer trading services for assets such as copyrights, securities, tea, gemstones, art, and antiques. The exchange is supported by various government departments and serves an international network of buyers and sellers.
Blockchain and smart contract technologies are set to revolutionize many industries in the next few decades and one of the applications which stand to benefit is the trading of valuable assets. In this project, the goal is to develop a digital trading platform that utilizes smart contract and blockchain to allow buyers and sellers to trade assets such as jewelries, antiques, tea, and artworks in an efficient, reliable, and secure manner. The following are some of the desired features of this platform:
- Users can bid/sell/exchange assets in a fair, secure, and reliable manner using technology built on smart contracts and blockchains
- Users will be able to track the movement of the asset as it moves from seller to buyer
- Innovative ways of using “network tokens” will be one of the key differentiators of this platform, this allows all stakeholders to benefit from the growth of the platform
Deliverable The deliverables of this project shall be a Proof-of-Concept system comprising at least 5 nodes in a working prototype network and a web-based application will also be developed to test the system functionalities. The team will work closely with SHCAEE to ensure that the features of the system is in line with the industry best practices. The goal is for the prototype to be eventually adopted and used by SHCAEE in a live setting.
Contact: Yeo Yong Kee <email@example.com> Managing Director LightBridge Technologies Pte Ltd 7030 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5 #08-101 NorthStar@AMK Singapore 569880 Ph: +65 6734 5098 www.LightBridgeTechnologies.com
Epitrain - Financial calculator e-commerce system
About Epitrain We are a training and consultancy firm that specialises in the training areas of financial markets, business management and project management.
Project Description We wish to develop an calculator, with visualized outputs, for Financial Market Options. This calculator will be hosted on the cloud and available online, via paid subscriptions. Hence the students would have to work on:
- programming the calculator
- developing the visualization of outputs
- deploy the hosting solution
- deploy the access solution
- deploy the e-commerce solution
- deploy the subscription database, with expiry and renewal functions
- develop an API to allow real-time injection of prices from other sources, such as Reuters or Yahoo Finance
- cater to non-functional requirements including:
- number of concurrent users
- latency in launching the app
- latency in sending inputs and receiving outputs
- the ability to support all browsers
- security issues, such as preventing the download of the core application
- Use the Black-Scholes and the Garman-Kohlagen models for Option pricing as a base.
- Take inputs of Spot, various Option Premiums, interest rates, and Time, either manually input or automatically updated via API, and derive outputs of:
- payoff diagrams (visualized outputs) and
- Using the derived Delta values, the probability distribution function would need to be derived.
- The pdf is then plotted as an overlay on the payoff diagram
- Return the net probability-adjust payoff for any given combination of Options entered by the user
- 2, or more, simultaneous sets of computations are required (as represented by the green and orange lines in the provided screenshot)
- Scales on the diagram must be automatically adjusted to fit the output values, but also can be manually manipulated.
The X-factor of this project is that there is currently no such app available to the non-professional trader. This will be used commercially and be the first of its kind.
Contact: Gerard Tong (firstname.lastname@example.org) Adjunc Staff, Cavetz
SAS Institute - Driving Analytics Innovation in Financial Services Industries
About SAS: SAS is the leader in analytics. Through innovative analytics, business intelligence and data management software and services, SAS helps customers at more than 83,000 sites make better decisions faster. Since 1976, SAS has been giving customers around the world THE POWER TO KNOW®.
Project Background & Requirements: This project seeks for an innovative solution for the Financial industry; mainly in the RegTech and Financial Inclusion categories.
Project Scope: Participants will be expected to use SAS Viya and other SAS/3rd-party tools that may be required for their solution development. Not only could this project result in novel/innovative solutions with tangible business value for the customers, it could also offer an excellent opportunity to obtain hands-on experience on an enterprise grade analytics platform.
The problem statements for this project have been preselected and the team should select only one of these problem statements for their IS480 Final Year Project:
39 Reimagining Credit Underwriting & Scoring
Existing credit underwriting models do not leverage new sources of qualitative and quantitative information. In addition, SMEs face challenges in credit evaluation as they do not have necessary audited financial statements. How can we improve and refine existing underwriting models and credit scoring for individuals and SMEs that leverage non-traditional qualitative and quantitate data sources?
- Participants should identify sources of qualitative and quantitative information, which can be used to predict customer behavior. Develop a technique/solution to capture/crawl this data, clean and structure it
- Build segmentation and predictive model(s). Design & build a user-friendly interface (e.g. website) that allows end-users (e.g. banks/credit institutions) to easily perform the necessary credit scoring & evaluation to drive their lending decisions.
48 Automated Risk Analysis
Currently, there is no way to effectively enable institutions to track and monitor counterparty risk and market exposure in real time. How do we develop a smart system that automates this analysis taking into account sanctions, AML (anti-money laundering) and KYC (Know-your-client) data and regulatory rules, to mitigate risks and exposure?
- Participants should identify sources of information, which can be used for real-time monitoring of factors impacting counterparty risk and market exposure. Develop a technical solution to capture/collect these data in real time, clean and structure it. As multiple real-time data sources are collected, participants are expected to also cross-check these sources against each other to ensure data integrity/accuracy
- Provide aggregated analysis of counterparty risk and market exposure; including building models to predict the future trends of these risks/exposure
- Design & build a user-friendly interface (e.g. dashboard accessible via web and/or mobile devices) that end-users (e.g. banks) can use to monitor these risks and set alert/warning indicators where risk/exposure limits have been breached.
CORE Requirements are:
- Project clearly answers the problem statement of choice
- A functional user interface with a great user experience which provides ease of navigation through a well-designed layout.
- The website and must be in a mobile responsive web design
- Usage of use SAS Viya and other SAS/3rd-party tools for development
- Clearly defined users/end-users and the exact pain points that the solution seeks to address
- Well-developed prototype/solution with an easy-to-use interface for its intended users/end-users
- Creative & meaningful integration of key data sources that reflect a compelling and unique solution proposition
- Presentation/delivery of the solution in a suitable interface (e.g. website, app)
- Usage of SAS Viya is mandatory. Other SAS/3rd-party tools may be used as well.
Secondary Requirements are:
- On top of the core requirements, team can choose to present their solutions in the form of an Android/iOS application pertaining to the problem statements above
“Good to Have” Requirements are:
- An end to end analytics platform from data management to discovery to deployment
- Visualization (if any) being deployed using SAS Visual Analytics
- Incorporation of advanced analytics capabilities (e.g. predictive/prescriptive/cognitive) that extends the solution beyond a data aggregation platform. Key elements of a good solution would likely include (but not limited to):
- Speed - e.g. how quickly the data & insights are delivered to the users
- Intelligence - e.g. ability to suggest/recommend relevant & timely content to users even if they have not explicitly made a request for
- Demonstrate tangible business benefits in areas such as streamlining operations to save costs, targeted customer engagements, identification of new customer/market segments, new monetization channels/opportunities, etc.
- Demonstrate potential for scalability & deployment in a real-life environment
- Proper & relevant documentation
- Creative & innovative usage of multiple data sources and tools would be taken into consideration for bonus points
Skill sets Skill sets such as (but not limited to) may be needed:
- SAS Programming, Python, R, Java, etc.
Contact: Eric Ong, SIS Alumni 2016 Batch & FinTech Innovations Sales Lead (email@example.com) or Giselle Cheo, FinTech Innovations Pre-Sales Lead (firstname.lastname@example.org)
NOTE from course coordinator: This project requires strong requirements gathering to narrow down the scope of the project. Requirements does not list functional features, just quality requirements. Only one project will be allowed for IS480
Novosphere – Mobile Auto industry shopping cart
Project Background The project aims to create a mobile application, which synergizes mobile convenience and brick-and-mortar shopping experiences together through incentivizing in the form of several loyalty rewards program schemes in the automotive industry.
Value Proposition The mobile application will host multiple participating commercial merchants in an e-catalogue, segmented by brands, where automotive merchants are able to list their retailing products/services at retail and/or discounted prices. Customers are incentivized to earn rewards through 2 different loyalty schemes of their preferred choice, Cashback or Loyalty Points, when they visit brick-and-mortar shops. Customers would just need to simply scan the selected retail product/services through a QR code or barcode, transact through the mobile application via our mobile payment gateway, and earn X% of Cashback or X amount of Loyalty Points upon successful transaction.
Contact: Derrick Ding, Novosphere Director, Novosphere SG <email@example.com>
VWO - Make a difference
About VWO project Want a rewarding project that can make a difference in people's life?
Ideas You can wait for some VWO to propose a project, or you can propose one with a VWO.
"Just one small example....as I was having lunch in Little India this week, I met one of the workers I'm assisting. He reported confusion at MOM about whether they recognised that he had discharged a lawyer handling his injury claim. On my hp, I could bring up the lawyer discharge letter and email it out again to both the lawyer and MOM. Very powerful and helpful to have such capability on my hp at any time and place." - TWC2 Project Sponsor Dr. Pat Meyer
More Information Benjamin Gan, SMU, firstname.lastname@example.org
Self Proposed - Innovative Idea
About Self Proposed project Have a great idea? You can proposed your own project. Start with a problem, a real problem. Don't start with a solution or a technology. Think about it. Pitch it to your friends, IIE entrepreneurs corners, and write up a 2 page about your idea. You want a well baked idea, not an idea you taught about yesterday or half baked version with lots of holes. These can be projects to improve the quality of SMU student life, similar to NUS apps
Another reason for proposing your own project. Why work for anyone?
- Submit a 2 page writeup to course coordinator.
- Get a mentor. More info here. If there are enough teams proposing their own projects, the course coordinator will schedule a pitch session.
- Start working on your project.
More Information Benjamin Gan, SMU, email@example.com