IS480 Team wiki: 2012T2 box.us Project Management
|Home||Stakeholders||Project Overview||Project Management||Documentation||Learning Outcomes||Useful Links|
Team Box.us is a project team that consists of 6 individuals with varying (and complementing skillsets). The team set out with the following beliefs to achieve at the end of the project:
- Create value for organizations - Value could be business value and also social value to our sponsors.
- Sustainable implementations - Our team believes in having projects that would be sustainable and be able to bring value to the organizations in a long run
- Team Learning - Our team believes in learning during the entire development process so that the experience would be enriching for the organization, the team and the individuals invovled.
Before everything, we have to find a sponsor. Learning from our past experiences, the team has developed a guideline for sourcing the sponsor. The guidelines are as such:
- The Motivation: What is the need?
- The Idea: In short, what is the idea about?
- The Solution: How would the idea help to solve the need
- The Scope: What is the focus of the project? The differentiating factor? The X-Factor of the project?
- The Implementation: Do we have the technical ability to deal with the project?
At the end of this iteration, the team would have a clear idea of what the scope of the project is about and the high-level steps of what needs to be done to get there.
It's all about agility. Our team aims to mimic as close as possible to real-world software engineering experiences. As such, our team has decided to adopt the Agile Development Process that is flexible and meaningful for the entire team. Our iterations are planned as such:
Iteration 0 : Project Initiation
This is a time for our team to learn as much as possible in the following areas:
- Project Plan - How are we going to get to the end?
- Technical Walkthrough - What are the tools, knowledge, help and expertise that are available?
- Business Value - What value do we bring?
- Justifications - What would help to solidify our reasons for the project?
- Team Bonding! - All work, no play, and you would hate your FYP. This is a time for the team to go through the initiation and storming phase, where we be honest about our doubts and fears and limitations and also strengths and confidence in the project.
At the end of this phase, the team would have established its project plan, roles and responsibilities and the baseline project schedule. The project manager would then send an update email to the supervisor, to the client and update the wiki.
Phase 1 : Requirements Study
The focus of iteration 1 is to commence on requirements gathering. The requirements gathering phase is the most important phase because it is where we establish the baseline from which all communications would stem from and also it is the first time that all the different parties get to synergize and work with one another. During this phase, the team seeks to answer the following questions:
- What is the scope of the project?
- Who are the target audience?
- What are the use cases?
- What are the functionalities that needs to be done?
- What are the non-functional requirements that we need to adhere to?
- How does the client want the user interface to look like?
- How are we going to handover the project?
At the end of this phase, the team would have established its use case scenarios, user storyboards and functionality list. This would all be placed into a requirements document. The project manager would then arrange for a meeting with client to clarify the use case scenarios, the user storyboards and the functionality requirements. The supervisor would be updated on the outcome of the meeting.
Should there be any major changes to the requirements, rectifications would be made. Depending on the scope of the project, the team might increase the no. of iterations of requirement studies needed.
Phase 2 : System Design and Analysis
Phase 3 : Development
Phase 4 : User Testing and User Acceptance
Phase 5 : Package, Delivery and Deployment