Education and Technology – it used to be two disjoint words in the past, but now, we can leverage on technology to complement the traditional education. With the emergence and revolution of technology, today’s mobile devices could possibly bring a whole new dimension to the education experience as it has become more prevalence in our society. This technology, in many cases, is already in the pocket of the students today.
No more boring lessons, lectures or seminars. Field trips or excursions are what “whatsNex” will take learning to a new high, by providing a new “playground” that educators can introduce and fascinate the students, bringing a whole new experience to learning.
“whatsNex”, is a mobile application designed for multi-mobile platform2 compatibility. It integrates the modern classroom into an interactive mobile application so as to provide the students with the accessibility and portability they required on their learning journeys.
Our team shares a common vision, which is to enrich the learning journey and learning experience for students, going beyond the classroom. Instead of allowing learning to take place in the physical classroom, our team brings the classroom to them, wherever they are.
Moreover, being a team of SIS students, we strongly believe that technology is a tool that is under- utilized in the sector of the Education industry. Technology is a tool that we can use to our advantage and in this case, we are helping students to achieve self-learning by tapping on the existing educational potential through the usage of technology and the exponential increasing number of students owning a mobile device today.
||Professor Thomas MENKHOFF
Associate Professor of Organisational Behaviour & Human Resources (Practice)
Prof Menkhoff is a faculty member of Lee Kong Chian School of Business. He has been actively seeking innovative ideas to enhance the learning experience of SMU student.
||Gabriel YEE Qi Ming
Gabriel Yee is a SIS Year 4 student, assisting Professor Thomas Menkhoff in liaising with the project team. He provides and reviews the technical requirements of the project.
||Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the project team.
- Develop and maintain a detailed project plan.
- Manage the project deliverables in line with the project plan.
- Oversees project issues / risks and escalating to Project Supervisors where necessary.
- Liaison with, and updates progress to Project Sponsors and Supervisors
|Ho Chuen Full
- Works with the Project Leader on definition of development requirements and priorities.
- Responsible for the design of the underlying architecture of the application.
- Oversee the application development process and provide advice to Project Leader where necessary.
|Lew Li Ming
- Oversee the design and layout of user interface for the web portal
- Oversee the design and layout of user interface for the mobile application
- Oversee the design of the official communication channel (Wikipedia)
- Responsible for the design of the final poster presentation
|Ng Hui Lian
- Secretariat role for project meetings.
- Oversee the production of documentation / presentation materials
- Administer the contents of the official communication channel (Wikipedia)
- Assist Project Leader in maintaining and updating project plan.
|Seet Kai Ling, Vivian
(Risk and Relation Manager)
- Oversee and define the change and risk management strategies to assure early identification and complete, expeditious resolution.
- Conduct periodic risk assessment and development of mitigating strategies. Significant or high impact risks should be addressed to the Project Leader
- Recognize change management issues and risks; develops recommendation and mitigating strategies
- Assist Project Leader in liaison with, and updates progress to, Project Sponsors / supervisors
- Assist Project Coordinator in administering the official communication channel (Wikipedia)
(Quality Assurance Manager)
- Oversee the entire test procedures and protocols for the application
- Develop a systematic process in monitoring and evaluation of each functionalities
- Develop test cases for each functionalities
- System test planning and assistance to users in the execution of the User Acceptance Test.
- Reconciliation of user requirements to system capabilities after each UAT Phase.