Difference between revisions of "IS480 Team wiki: 2010T1 Kumbaya"
|Line 170:||Line 170:|
'''''Download Project Schedule(with Gantt Chart) [[Media:Project_Schedule_KUMBAYA.xlsx|HERE]]'''''<br><br>
Revision as of 13:30, 15 August 2010
- 1 Team Kumbaya
- 2 Project Simama
|Tomy Jayafirstname.lastname@example.org||Project Manager|
|Wai Phyo Kyawemail@example.com||Mobile Evangelist/Liaison Person|
|Tan Eu Jengfirstname.lastname@example.org||Web Developer|
|Shitij Nigamemail@example.com||Lead Designer|
|Aung Kyawfirstname.lastname@example.org||Mobile Evangelist|
Chris Boesch (email@example.com)
- Meraj Huda (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Public Relations Officer (Contact Person)
- Michael Switow (switow@ONESingapore.org)
- ONE (SINGAPORE) Co-founder
Prototype Website : http://www.palotetote.com/fyp/
Current Stage : 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 (refer to #Project Plan) (Search Function, Social Features, Search Engine Optimization)
Note: Client Feedback Session is postponed to 2nd August 2010.
ONE (SINGAPORE), our client, is a society who aims to raise Singapore’s public awareness in Millenium Development Goals such as extreme poverty and remind them to take concrete actions. To achieve this goal, it relies heavily on its website and annual events to gather volunteers and pledges.
The ONE (SINGAPORE) website, http://www.onesingapore.org was developed by an external party using WordPress CMS, and since then, has been poorly managed. The content is scattered all over the place and many of the functionalities (such as member registration) are no longer working properly. In addition, the advent of mobile technologies has also attracted ONE (SINGAPORE)'s executive committee to ensure that their website is viewable on a variety of mobile browsers as well. On top of that, a dedicated native mobile application will be developed to support their worthy cause will be an excellent marketing platform for them to reach a wider audience in an informed, organized manner. Hence, we propose to do the following to help ONE (SINGAPORE) solve its current issues:
- ONE (SINGAPORE) website clean-up and components/functionalities addition by leveraging on available WordPress plug-ins
- ONE (SINGAPORE) website mobilization
- A re-organized ONE (SINGAPORE) website with excellent user interface and easy navigation
- Additional functionalities to ONE (SINGAPORE) website(these functionalities will be detailed in project scope section)
- A mobile-friendly version of ONE (SINGAPORE) website which supports content-viewing iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry browsers
- Value Statement:
- Wider coverage (mobile users)
- More organized vision, Marketing, Message-spreading
- Website ease of management and extensibility
Two Primary Goals:
I. ONE (SINGAPORE) website clean-up and components addition by leveraging on available WordPress plug-ins
- Current problems: lack of usability and functionalities
- Solution: We will leverage on existing wordpress plugins with heavy customization. Here is the comparison of current condition and resulting condition.
|Issue||Current Condition||Resulting Condition|
|Content||Contents are unorganized which cause the management difficult||Contents will be well-organized and easy to be managed|
|Usability||Interface is not user friendly and difficult to use||Interface will be more user friendly and easy to use. Customization or Personalization, different interface based on user, will also be applied|
|Update||Updating and posting news have to be manually done in every related parts so maintenance is inconvenient||Updating and posting news will be done in Wordpress only so maintenance will be easy|
|Search Function||Search function is not implemented||Optimized search function will be implemented|
|Members Registration||Interface is not user friendly and the payment process is not operating.||Interface will be more user friendly and the payment process will be operating (integrated with PayPal)|
|Find Information||Contents are scattered all over the website which result in difficulty of finding related information||Information will be displayed in an organized manner and MDG related contents/news aggregation feature will also be implemented in addition to a search function|
|Share Information||Newsletters are sent out manually and there is no social media integration||Newsletters will be sent out automatically and social media tools such as facebook, twitter will be integrated|
|Community Interaction||Place for ONE (SINGAPORE)'s community to interact is unavailable||Place for community interaction and users' feedback function for site or organization will be provided|
|Pledging||Only uploaded photos by pledgers are shown after pledging||Not only uploaded photos but also a map that will show all locations of pledgers (using GoogleMap API). Pledging with photos will be done via email if uploading photo is not possible through web application.|
|Social Media Integration||Non-existent social media integration||Ease in sharing information with popular social websites e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Digg, etc.|
|User Traffic||No information of users(both registered and unregistered) are tracked||Information of users will be tracked and analytical tool such as Google Analytics will also be integrated|
|e-Commerce||ONE (SINGAPORE)'s Merchandise is ordered or purchased via email||ONE (SINGAPORE)'s Merchandise will be ordered or purchased through the website online store (shopping cart application integrated with PayPal)|
*Non-functional Requirement: Easy maintenance and migration
*Assumptions : We decided to stick with WordPress since the current management is used to this CMS and we assume that using other CMS will results in unnecessary overheads.
II. Website mobilization (dedicated for content-viewing on iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, Blackberry)
- Current problems: non-existent mobile support to cater to growing mobile users
- Solution: using CSS, WordPress plug-ins and some customization to make the website viewable from different mobile platform (interface might be varied for different platforms for ease of use).
*Constraints: This will only be done for ONE (SINGAPORE) website, not standup.sg simply because standup.sg contains flash animations and requires the capability to upload images which is not supported by mobile browsers.
*Statistics for mobile users will be researched
(**) Additional Goal of the Project – if there is enough time after the two primary goals have been met.
Native Mobile apps (for iPhone OR Android platforms) to do the following functionalities:
- Pledging by uploading photos (i.e. 2015 Countdown Clock accessible for mobile phone users)
- One-stop News Aggregator for all MDG (similar idea to FluentNews app which pulls news from different sources. But our app will dedicate to collect MDG related news, events and articles. Also, this will be an incentive for users to download our app)
- ONE (SINGAPORE) website translated to the dedicated app for better organization
- (similar idea as Times, AllThingsD or Engadget apps, which are currently available on iPhone)
- User downloading the application shows support to the worthy cause
- Enabling users to easily share information about the Countdown Clock
- Viewing the Countdown Clock as well as Countdown Map on mobile
Download Project Schedule(with Gantt Chart) HERE
Click to download Meeting Minutes.
Assumptions and Risks
- All software tools* used in this project are available for free (no cost incurred in software)
- Non-functional requirements other than easy maintainability such as extensive security and reliability are not the client’s main concerns.
*However, if the team decides to continue to do the project extension, iPhone SDK is not free. Nonetheless, the team has agreed to buy and share a license.
- Team is new with WordPress CMS and its plugins
- Mitigation step: Development team to train themselves in new platform during summer break (Read up tutorials on WordPress/plugins); Wai and Shitij (who had some experience in WordPress CMS) to tutor the team (pair programming)
- Compatibility issues upon CMS version upgrade
- Mitigation step: The team should only use popular plugins which are widely supported by the developers
- WordPress CMS is a close system which has limitations
- Mitigation step: read up PHP tutorials so that the team can alter framework via the back-end
Resource and Reference
- Training on Wordpress CMS Development:'
- Wordpress Tutorials(http://www.wp-tutorials.org/)
- Collaboration/Communication Tools:
- Subversion Repository (internal)
- Wiki (with supervisors & Client)
- Training on Mobile Development (for project extension):'
- Software Required (for project extension):
- iPhone SDK 3.2 + Apple XCode
- Android SDK tools (Android, Android Emulator, Android Debug Bridge)
- Eclipse with Android Development Tools (ADT) Plug-in
- Hardware Required:
- Windows PCs
- Gadgets Required (for Mobilization and project extension):
- 1 x iPhone
- 1 x BlackBerry
- 1 x Windows Mobile
- 1 x Android phone
- Soft Skills:
- Learning to learn skills
- Research techniques
- Project management and Collaboration skills
- Communication and Negotiation skills
- Hard Skills:
- Wordpress CMS and plugins
- iPhone SDK - for project extension
- Android SDK (Eclipse Java, with ADT) - for project extension