Data Visualisation Design Principles and Best Practice
- Types of data
- Structure within and between records
- Data preprocessing: ETL (Extract, Transform, and Loading)
Designing Charts to Enlighten
- What we mean by an enlighten graph
- JunkCharts: Understand the limitation of Excel charts
- Principles of Graphic Design
- Semiology of graphics
- Useful Charts for Business Intelligence: Histogram, Line Graph, Bar Chart, Boxplot, Dotplot, Pareto Chart, Scatterplots, Ternary Plots
Human Perception and Information Processing
- What Is Perception?
- Perceptual Processing
- Perception in Visualization
Perceptual and Design Principles for Effective Visual Analytics
- System, Color, Gestalt Laws, Pre-attentive processing
- Representation: The encoding of value and relation
- Visual Perception and Quantitative Communication
- Visualising and analysing bivariate data
- Interactive visual analytics with Graph Builder
|Monday||30 minutes||7 Basic Rules for Making Charts and Graphs 
Quantitative Literacy Across the Curriculum 
|Tuesday||30 minutes||Tapping the Power of Visual Perception 
Sometimes We Must Raise Our Voices 
|Wednesday||30 minutes||Best Practices for Understanding Quantitative Data 
Data Visualization: Rules for Encoding Values in Graph 
|Thursday||3 hours||Lesson discussion and hands-on exercise|
Choosing Colors for Data Visualization 
Line Graphs and Irregular Intervals: An Incompatible Partnership 
Robbins, Naomi B. (2005) Creating More Effective Graphs, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, USA.
Edward R. Tufte (2001) The Visual Display of Quantitative Information (2nd Edition), Graphics press, Connecticut, USA. Chapter 4-9
Stephen Few (2004) Show Me the Numbers: Designing Tables and Graphs to Englighten, Analytical Press, Oakland, USA.
Wong, Dona M. (2010) The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics, W. W. Norton & Company, Inc. New York.